Red Dwarf on Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by steve51184, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Just finished reading through this thread and it's clear there's an appetite for the complete series to be transferred to blu ray but it's not going to happen, not any time soon anyway. The first few series didn't exactly have the biggest of budgets and so production was entry level to say the least. Unless a mysterious film master turns up somewhere, it's SD from here on in.

There is a case though, which I completely agree with, that RD looks great in it's current state on DVD. It has a certain charm about it that TV from this era has. I'm a big Doctor Who fan and a lot of the classic stuff has the same vibe, it's a character indicative of classic TV almost.

I'm all for watching RD in the best quality possible but at the risk of ruining the character of the picture trying to remaster or upscale it, best left as is.

2. zeroprobe

zeroprobe Skutter

The compression bitrate on DVD is awful.

I would definitely by a Blu-ray, even if resolution cannot be increased, just for the higher bitrate it would be great.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Don't see the point of Red Dwarf on Blu-ray...

4. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

As much as I love Red Dwarf I would not repurchase Red Dwarf on bluray if it was released. I would purchase the new seasons on bluray on the otherhand when they get released somewhere down the line.

5. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I have BtE and RDX on Blu-Ray. I love the extra detail you get and the model shots are great too.

6. simulant37

True. But the old better series would look crap. & having BtE & RDX in Blu-ray sadly wouldn't make them any less unfunny...if you please

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

ICE shall banish the tedious!

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I imagine to release them on blueray the bbc would have to put in money to clean them up, thats just my guess.

I know there was alot of work put into the star trek the next generation bluerays.

9. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I think I read somewhere that the older series only exist on VT so 'cleaning them up' wouldn't do a great deal, but for myself I would like to see a BluRay release with the existing quality just so that I don't have to look through something like 30 disks when deciding which ep to watch. 8)

10. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

Yeah a disc of existing quality so they are all easily in one place. it is nice having them all on netflix but who knows how long that will last. I have a web series I like on a blu ray disk and they are all SD, it works out about 19 hours of video all there on one disc. it is really handy

11. simulant37

that's why I have Netflix, things disappear!!!

12. FeeBeeBells

I don't think Red Dwarf is on the Aussie netflix, will need to check next time I'm at my parents on my brothers netflix account.

13. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure if I am misquoting this but stuff on Netflix disappears or when you no longer want to pay every month for the lack of content, you can't watch it anymore anyway.

Buy a DVD or BluRay for £3-£10 and you can watch it forever, except if you put jam on it, stick it in the microwave or feed it to the dog then it would be just as useless as Netflix.

14. simulant37

15. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

They were EDITED on video tape, but the remastered version uses the original film masters.

16. FeeBeeBells

I checked today, no Red Dwarf on aussie netflix yet.

17. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

i just received my copy Red Dwarf X - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook (Limited to 2000 Copies) Blu-ray. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an issue number on the case or disc that tells you what number your copy is out of 2000?
    I can't find it on the outer packaging.
    thanks

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

19. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

That's exciting news. Even if they're exactly the same as the DVD sets I'll definitely be purchasing them again. I doubt the image quality will be much improved but we might get some full HD model shots which would be lovely.

Makes sense to release half now before Series XI and Series 6-10 (rereleased) before Series XII next year.