Red Dwarf on Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by steve51184, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

This is good news! Classic Dwarf in HD quality...well...possibly.

2. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Crickey.. I hope that is true too!
    PLease stay in the EU so I can import them! ;._) ;-)

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Great to see S1-5 released on BD but at £25 a shot, that is taking the smeg.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I say we boycott them!

6. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Just 1-5? Why not just do 6-8 as well and then the whole thing will be on BluRay for those that want it.

I do wonder though if they are just bunging them on a Blu-ray disc and being done with it or if they are properly doing a restoration job on the footage to give the best possible picture quality. Will they be releasing the original versions or remastered versions I wonder. New cover art possibly also could look pretty nice...

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

There doesn't seem much point as a Blu-Ray player upscales the DVDs anyway :?

And £25 is taking the smeg, but I imagine the price will come down after a while.

8. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'm hoping I see a blu-ray release of the full collection in Australia, some of my DVDs no longer play without pausing or skipping. So far have seen noting for blu-ray released my way, but will wate and see.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I'd like to imagine the price is so high because the BBC put a fair amount of money into restoring the footage for higher quality, but chances are thats not the case

I wouldn't mind a mini remaster, clear up some of the shots abit

10. Ant E

They should re-master series 4-7

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

No don't give Doug any money to re-master, not after the last time, just clear the picture is good

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

On the whole, Blu-ray is one of the biggest tech-cons ever. My 'Just the Shows' box set is more than adequate for my needs, and unlike the all singing and dancing box set, it doesn't take 9 minutes to navigate through all the menu screens to get to the actual episodes.

13. adamclark83

adamclark83 Third Technician

So my eyes WEREN'T deceiving me when I just saw Series 1 Blu-ray up for pre-order on Amazon UK? Were they shot on film or videotape?

14. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Not sure about these. Going on the tweet from Doug he says they're putting out an "upresed" version but this could actually be detrimental to the picture quality.

The big downside to just increasing the resolution to 1080p is it will show up and magnify the average looking picture quality, especially from the earlier series'. In order for this to work, they would need to have obtained the original masters to clean them up and enhance. In certain places where the pq is a bit fuzzy or not looking too great, it will look even worse on blu.

I love that they're sill putting RD out and it's getting the blu ray treatment, it just feels a lot like a wasted opportunity.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

When I bought my Blu-ray player I was anxious to try out it's DVD Upscaling capabilities. The results generally, but especially with the Red Dwarf DVDs, were virtually unwatchable.

I won't be going anywhere near these releases as I feel sure they will prove to be nothing but money down the drain.

16. Ant E

Sorry to hear this Billy :crying:

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It's ok. I didn't buy the blu-ray player for upscaling dvds, I bought it because I wanted to know if all the fuss over blu-ray quality was justified. It isn't. At least not in my opinion.

18. Ant E

Just glad to hear you're ok...

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well, I was close to suicide when I saw how bad the Red Dwarf dvds looked when played on my Blu-ray player, but I'm ok now. Thanks for the concern.

20. Ant E

I'm close to suicide waiting for someone to answer the quiz tennis question!!!!!!!