Red Dwarf on Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by steve51184, Mar 31, 2010.

1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Third Technician

I was thinking, might the Series I and II releases have their respective episode-by-episode Making-Ofs that were only on the Bodysnatcher Collection?

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

It's getting closer and closer to the supposed Blu-Ray release (15th August) and still no mention on the official site or anywhere else. No artwork either. I'm beginning to wonder whether this is all just a big flamingo-up from Amazon?

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I don't understand all the fuss. They won't be any better than the DVDs - in fact there's a slight chance they'll be inferior.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I see that the Blu Ray Series 1 is a 2 disk set, well that is what it mentions on the bluray.com website. SebP or anyone else that may know, are you able to shed any light on what is on the disks ? I would expect a 2 disk Blu Ray to have a lot more content than the standard 2 disk release otherwise it should only be on one disk maybe. Content wise will it be nothing more than the standard DVD or something with extra stuff?

These are important questions and need to be answered ;-)

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The date for the release has changed to 2017 now

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Hopefully that gives them more time to give these Blu-Rays the proper treatment that they deserve.

7. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

The pushed back release date could signal more time to do a proper clean up/restoration, who knows?

Still in two minds about this. The dvd releases have a certain charm and if they don't do a clean up job, the upscale to HD resolution will probably highlight some of the earlier series' picture niggles.

8. sundayforsammy

Hmmm, I ordered it on Amazon last night but had not noticed the release date was changed to 2017, I was expecting the DVD delivered on August 14th (in a few days). Best cancel that order then, lol. Thanks for the updated info, I would have been sitting by the letter box for a whole year. :shock:

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

At the moment the plans aren't firm enough for these questions to be answered. If/when there are clear and definite plans for a Blu-ray release, I'll let you know on the site!

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

In time for Christmas! I can't wait either. Hope they do a good documentary like they usually do.

11. Iced Gemz

Iced Gemz Catering Officer

And a commentary!

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Not too hopeful on that one Gemzi; they didn't do it for RDX. But hey, hope springs eternal :-)

13. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I will probably buy the set no matter what simply to support the show...

14. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

If these ever materialise, i would like them to be closer to widescreen. Yes, i know i know. The originals are 4:3 blah blah blah. YTou can't add what isn't there blah blah blah blah blah. But if you crop carefully, you can get close to widescreen without doing any serious damage. The first 3 series that were re-mastered were very nearly widescreen and nobody really noticed any problems. The only real problems with those, were scenes being cut and weird things like the skutters being added, not the aspect ratio. So long as you don't crop too much, it usually ends up looking pretty good. Can always put the original 4:3 on the disks as well to please the purists.

15. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I can see why you would like this change: so we don't have to watch the episodes either stretched or with black bars at the sides, but I have to massively disagree with you on this one. I want them to be the exact original version how they were intended to be seen back when they were made. Please don't chop anything off the top or bottom!!!

16. mychemicaldwarf

I knew somebody would! People get very tetchy about cropping 4:3. Tetchy, tetchy, tetchy! It varies with me. I have all the Twilight Zone series on blu ray and i'm glad they kept the original aspect ratio. I don't want anything missing. But Red Dwarf is pretty colourful, the originals are already in my collection anyway, it's nice to have more of the screen filled up with the remastered ones. I just don't like dialogue being changed. So long as they only crop a teensy weensy bit off top and bottom and re-frame bits where it would cut somebodies head off etc i'd love that. Like i said, have them both on there!

17. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

You do realize HDTVs have picture settings that allow you to zoom in and basically crop something however you want? Why would you want the release itself to be altered, especially in a way that would seriously bother fans who have been watching these episodes for many years?

I don't know if you mean it that way, but you sound like you think people are silly for wanting to watch the show in its intended format. Just because YOU personally don't care doesn't mean other people are ridiculous for caring.

I've seen plenty of people's complaints about the Remastered episodes include the pointless cropping. Personally, I first saw the Remastered only two years after I starting watching the show and I found the cropping distracting, especially in the close ups as seen here:

[​IMG]

Shots like these specifically utilize the entire screen from top to bottom. I mean if that loss of detail and awkward framing doesn't bother you, then you shouldn't have any problem cropping it all the way to 16:9 to fill your whole screen.

Also this is reminding me that the "improved" color in the Remastered is actually pretty bad looking. For how unnatural and over-saturated it is it's making the under-saturated original look good by comparison.

So wanting to watch the show in its intended aspect ratio without chopping chunks of the picture off makes you a purist? I know you don't care, but that doesn't mean people who do are rigidly clinging to the original because they can't stand change. If you want to fill your screen, that's fine, but don't act like we're ridiculous for not flipping out over the black bars.

18. mychemicaldwarf

Wow. You really do have SERIOUS issues!

You do realise that blu rays don't let you zoom in the picture? You can press buttons all you want, a 4:3 blu ray doesn't change aspect ratio like a dvd does. You do realise that ALL the episodes are already available on dvd in their original format?

I said blah blah blah etc, because i am so used to keyboard warrior geeks thinking anybody with a different view to them is retarded. I KNOW you can't make a 4:3 picture into widescreen without losing some of the picture. I have a degree in engineering, i can just about work that one out. But 99.99999999% of people on internet forums think they are the most intelligent person in the universe and everybody else is an ejit.

I never once said i "flip out" over black bars, point out where i say that?? Oh, you can't because I NEVER SAID THAT! Grow up.

19. sundayforsammy

WOW, I think it is YOU that have the issues, people have a right to their own OPINIONS and that is what a forum is for.

20. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Wow. Did I ever insult you in my post? Did I even come close to insulting you? No. My personal opinion is that your idea is ridiculous, and I explained why I felt that way. Hell, I even explicitly said that I have no problem with you wanting to crop the show, what I objected to was cropping it in the official release.

If you think disagreeing with you means I have serious issues, you're the one with serious issues.

I said you use the picture settings on the TV itself to zoom in. I never said anything about the Bluray player. It's a pretty standard feature on HDTVs, I can't imagine you wouldn't have it on yours. Feel free to thank me for telling you that when you're done insulting me for disagreeing with you.

I think your idea is silly. I never called you a retard. Again, I never said ANYTHING negative about you the person, just your idea.

My point was to demonstrate what that picture loss you said would be totally acceptable actually looks like. I never implied you didn't understand the concept of cropping, I was simply showing why I don't think the show should be cropped.

Again, I don't think you're an idiot. I just vehemently disagree with your idea to crop the show for the Blu-ray release.

It's called hyperbole. You're clearly extremely keen on filling your TV screen.

Instead of actually addressing my opinion, you spent this entire post putting words in my mouth, insulting me and making me out to be a self-righteous elitist for not agreeing with you. I think you're the one who needs to grow up.

Now either take the mature route and let's end this here, or you can keep making yourself look ridiculous. Your call.