Red Dwarf Soundtrack

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Hollo_Marx, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

Has a soundtrack ever been released in any format for Red Dwarf? Maybe on a DVD extra or something? I'd love to have all of Howard Goodall's incidental music along with the different theme songs. I checked Amazon and found downloads for the theme song, but nothing else. It would be a laugh to have the Hammond organ version of Fun, Fun, Fun and the Elvis version too. :-D

2. kry102001

kry102001 Catering Officer

I have a copy of music from Red Dwarf, lots of different tunes including all the themes, all the tongue tied versions and many more, if you want a copy, I can link you in PM.

3. Hollo_Marx

Hollo_Marx Catering Officer

I would love that kry10! Cheers! :-D

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

It's all down to copyright sadly - I.e. The costs outweigh the profit! Sad when companies do this when there's a demand but it's a logistic business reason not to do it.

This may be controversial - but I think the best music the series ever used was the one series where there was almost NO Howard Goodall....!

The music in series 7 - particularly Tikka to ride and Ouroboros is brilliant!

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Illegal?

6. Ant E

Very much so! Also known as theft...

7. kry102001

It's not illegal, as long as any music is not used for profit, anyone can have a copy, otherwise, your breaking the law when you record anything on your sky+ or Tivo box, the music I pointed them to is not a CD, it's just a collection of various music.

8. Ant E

Strictly speaking that's not true. If you're copying music from a DVD (like the music cut scenes on red dwarf) or copying them from YouTube it is technically copyright theft - it is no different to illegal downloads.

When you record on sky or TiVo - the production has already paid for that music to be shown either in the uk or worldwide. The music used in red dwarf will have been paid for for home and DVD release - but by copying it you are effectively breaking the law as it is not covered by the production agreement. That's why all films and dvd's have te copyright disclaimer before a show starts.

Not that anyone usually cares or does anything about it - I consider people uploading films, such as the recent doctor who leak, a far bigger crime/annoyance!

9. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

They are on the DVD extras disc for each series.

10. kry102001

I just feel that if something is copied for your own personal enjoyment, then, it can't be illegal, if you own a copy of the music and have paid for it, for example, the dvd's, admittedly, you could rip it from the dvd's themselves, but, that takes time and it's much easier having them all in one place.

I myself have ripped all my Red Dwarf DVD's and placed them on my laptop for two reasons, one so they are backed up and I can store the originals and protect them, also, when I go to Dimension Jump, I can watch them whilst on the train.

I know where your coming from Anti, but, copyright is a very grey area, although, bigger crimes are taking place so, having a copy of someone's music is hardly the crime of the century.

11. Ant E

Oh don't get me wrong it is hardly te crime of the century - but I do find illegal downloads, especially of British television and film, somewhat disgraceful!

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I think the term 'personal enjoyment' is key here. If you've paid for it then I think putting it together on a CD is fine for personal use, but letting friends have it free is a different matter.

Feel free to PM me that link kry10 :lol: ;-)

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yes please :-) I plan on doing a lot of long morning walks from now on, and listenening to RD music would be a nice accompaniment every now and then methinks. :-)

ps: Intellectual property rights have gown mad. MAD I tells ya! It was never meant to be this way!

"Theft"?...LOL...*shakes head.

Silly, silly humans. Primitive. Your laws, regulations, morel guide lines, values and ancient perceptions are illogical. But then our primitive economic system itself is in fact inherently illogical...thus actually making said general lack of logic somewhat 'normalized' and understandable - yet inherently paradoxical and counter productive.

But this too will pass.

EDIT: Removed the Star Trek gag, as I'm actually being deadly serious.

14. Ant E

Not really mad I don't think! If You had a garden and people helped themselves to your flowers and garden gnomes you'd be annoyed right?

No different to stealing films!

15. Freeborn

Of course it's different. They are not the same thing at all. Not even a tiny bit. You're now talking about physical individual resources/items, we're talking about sharing music or film files via email. The item/product still exists in it's original form. No one has "stolen" anything, regardless of how we may choose to perceive it due to the illogical rules and values inherent to this system.

These files are being shared, usually by people who pay their hard earned money for the original product. And then you're gonna turn around and tell them they don't actually own that product? Oh hell no! You will never stop the likes of me from sharing films and music with friends! Did you never record TV shows then lend said videos to friends? Or do you think that would make you immoral?

How about if I invited you to my flat to watch my Doctor Who boxset. Would that be wrong of me? What about if I leant my boxset to you? Or how about if I lent a master copy to you instead (so to lesser the chances of my original copy being scratched). Are all these things immoral in your eyes? Honestly?

Now, back to the OP, who exactly would loose out if Kry10 were to share music from RD with fans? There's no official release so obviously no one loses out. So why all the hullabaloo?

Is it the actual logistics that bother you, or are you more concerned about the politicised idealistic principle of the matter? The perceived "Something-for-nothing, sense-of-entitlement culture" that Cameron wants us to believe in - even though in most cases, this has absolutely nothing do to with said perceived culture?

All that aside, since you bring up gardens: Bring on the Revolution - Resistance is fertile! Food Free Project

The up shot is this, you will never stop people from sharing stuff. whether it be food, electrical goods, books, CD's or DVDs. And yes, for better or worse this also includes full-on "piracy" of DVDs and TV shows. It happens and it's not going to stop. Ever. And the longer we keep trying to fight it, whilst ignoring the natural trends and the inevitable collapse of this profit-based paradigm, the more people (especially those in business) will suffer in the long run.

We are only harming future generation by clinging to the past. Making people feel like criminals for sharing stuff they worked damn hard to pay for does not send out the right message. Nor does it stand us in good stead for a specific kind of future that is emerging whether we like it or not.

Change is coming. The future is now. Our job is to find a logical way to deal with it during the natural transition. And criminalising the inevitable, and calling people thieves for sharing stuff they paid for is not the way.

16. Ant E

Oh for goodness sake stop overacting! Revolution? Change? Yawn! Over the top communist chatter... :roll:

Quite obviously was talking about illegal downloads - piracy if that helps! I.e. Filming or uploading a film or tv show for people to download without paying! That is 100% theft and something I have never, ever done! Someone on here boasted about downloading the doctor who eps before they went out - no idea whom it was - but shame on them! They directly affect the British television and film industry by doing this and as I work in this said industry it annoys me when people think that just because it's "online" or made by a "big company" then, oh well, they won't miss anything!

By your theory, you take issue with me stealing your flowers but no issue if i steal them and sell/share them with all your neighbours!?? Ok, I'll see you next valentines day - let your neighbours know they don't need to stop off at the garage!!

17. Freeborn

What, you'd rather they charged people and made money from other people's work? Hmm, interesting...just kidding, I know you didn't mean that.

To believe that all those people who download illegal film files would've otherwise paid to watch the films is extremely naive.

In regards to television, there is obviously a difference between somehow managing to upload a program before it's even gone out (how does that even happen?) and sharing episodes that have aired. I don't approve of uploading unreleased shows or films as I feel it's disrespectful to the creators. And from what I understand the films are usually terrible picture quality. Why any one would want those kind of "pirate copies" is beyond me. That just shows impatience, lol.

But I have a serious question for you. If I were to download the next Doctor Who episode from Proxy Bay or wherever (hours after it airs on TV, which is when they're usually uploaded) in what way do you think this effects the British TV industry or the creators of the show, if at all?

And likewise, if I were to make a DVD rip from my copy of Pirates of The Caribbean and upload it to Proxy bay, how do you think this would realistically effects the film makers and the industry?

By my theory? What theory? The above is based on your own presumptuous interpretation, not my theory. I linked to The Food Free Project as an aside, an example of communities sharing stuff. It wasn't intended as a direct response to your random flowers comparison.

So, lets now use your flowers comparison. If you were to quite literally steal my flowers that would be akin to me stealing, say a DVD from you. Whereas if you were to buy some flowers or plants from me, and then take cuttings of those flowers [which will then grow into their own plants] so to share them with other people - or even sell them on - that's more akin to me buying a DVD from you, then making copies in order to share the contents with others. In this scenario you still have your DVD and I still have my flowers. No need to physically steal anything.

Up scale this example to me owning a large garden centre and you running a film production company and what do we have?

Bare in mind that I planted and propagated those flowers myself. Perhaps they're especially difficult flowers to grow and cost me a lot in overheads. So, then, does this mean that I should try to stop you from making copies [ie taking cuttings] and sharing or selling them on? Should I blame you for my fall in profits this year.

Now, I accept that this is not the best of examples, but in my defense I'm working with the simplified and truncated comparison you made.

You can call it "Communist chatter" or whatever, but the point is we're beginning to recognise many flaws within the fanciful notions of copy right laws and "intellectual property rights". And yes, something really does need to change.

It's funny how we get told that when we buy a movie on DVD, all we technically own is the piece of polycarbonate plastic it comes on. And that the contents isn't ours to do with as we please. And yet, no one would bat an eyelid were I to sell you my Doctor Who boxset right now. And yet, if I were to share the content free of charge, all of a sudden I'm a criminal. Go figure.

The system is smegging stupid. Not to mention extremely wasteful. And *that* is no exaggeration my friend.

It's funny how the things we think we own, end up owning us.

18. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    If you were to make a copy of said Dr Who then sell the original, would that be illegal? I would say yes to making the copy.

Don't most DVD boxes say that it is illegal to make any copy of the content?

I have heard people boasting about having 1000's of films, albums etc all copies. This does annoy me. If everbody did it there would be no money in it and things wouldn't get made.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wrong, The flowers argument doesn't hold water. Is not comparable to stealing dvd content. . .:roll:
    Theft is occuring, rather than an individual buying a dvd they get a free copy from you!

20. kry102001

It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.
    Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.
    Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.
    Adapt the work.
    The author of a work, or a director of a film may also have certain moral rights:
    The right to be identified as the author.
    Right to object to derogatory treatment.

Acts that are allowed
    Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

Private and research study purposes.
    Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
    Criticism and news reporting.
    Incidental inclusion.
    Copies and lending by librarians.
    Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
    Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.
    Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
    Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society.

(Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a license from PRS for Music.)