RED DWARF SPECIAL ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE 2020 SPECIAL' started by Asclepius, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Maybe I should wait for the official thread, but this will maybe help those, who came to this forum seeking some informations about OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED RED DWARF FEATURE-LENGTH SPECIAL.

All official informations are so far in this article, but some more will definitely come out soon, because life audience recording starts 6th December.

Because the older threads are now full of unconfirmed speculations about series XIII or AA adverts, we can discuss the official news here.

wendoline, ClareGC and dvd3500 like this.
  2. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

I think Doug read one of my fan fictions

Pembers and Nikki the Great like this.
  3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well I never saw this coming. I've often mentioned on the forum that I'd like an actual special episode, but I never thought we'd get one. Exciting news. With the presumed extra length of this (compared to regular episodes), hopefully we could end up with a much more epic storyline than usual. I'm also looking forward to those documentaries mentioned in the article.

Asclepius likes this.
  4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

What the heck, Asclepius - let's make this the official thread ;-)

5. Asclepius

Oh yeah! Thanks.:thanks:

6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

This definitely happened

Asclepius likes this.
  7. Asclepius

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The content itself will be 90 minutes long, but the broadcast will be 120 minutes long with adverts included.

So it would run from, for example, 9pm to 11pm. But when you got it on Blu-ray/DVD/digital the actual running time would be 90 min.

(All figures approximate, of course!)

UltraDevotee, ClareGC and Asclepius like this.
  9. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

So Let me get this straight, and I maybe wring here, are both Rob and Doug involved now? are they both writing and producing? If so, WOW it deserves a major leaflet campaign.

10. Asclepius

We don't know. The official article says that it's going to be written by Doug. No official mention of Rob being involved.

11. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I presume it's a Doug-solo effort again as surely they would have already said that Rob would be co-writing or co-producing...unless Rob is involved in some other way. Still it seems highly likely it is Doug-solo still - and anyway although there have been some episodes of his solo material that have not really worked out, quite a lot of it I have enjoyed very much!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  12. UltraDevotee

Anyway, 2 months on exactly from my last post what do I think about yesterday's announcement? To be 100% honest I am very slightly disappointed because what I really wanted was a 6 half an hour episode, series run. Although I liked the most part of Back in the Red Parts 1, 2 and 3, I was not particularly keen on Pete Parts 1 and 2 while BtE although okay is still the least satisfying Dwarf (mini)-series ever! Although it was obvious from Danny's pics a few days ago it said special on the scripts, a 6 thirty minute episode series would have obviously been more material and unless Doug can pull it off quite a lot of people including me feel the half hour format is where RD is at its very best! It will be interesting to see if Doug can provide something epic like another poster mentioned in this massive length for RD but I already thought there were some spectacular stories in those 30 mins episodes e.g. Gunmen of the Apocalpyse, Give and Take etc. etc.

But anyway as I write that above paragraph perhaps that it is all rather harsh and a bit too gloomy because on the other hand I am really excited too. When Danny mentioned about those accountants earlier this year, perhaps they could not provide the Dwarf team with a budget big enough for a full series in which case it is a relief for there to be more Dwarf (I suppose the ratings for the second half of 12 were a tad disappointing (still don't understand why the 11/12 episodes were allowed to be previewed a week before as that would surely affect them therefore reducing the likelihood a bit of future Dwarf)). But anyway despite the sense of slight frustration in the previous paragraph, RD is definitely back - it's officially commissioned - and this episode if it is indeed shown in April 2020 is only 2 years and half since the series 12 finale, Skipper, unlike the massive 4 year hiatus last time. So as Richard Naylor has said if it is received well and gets sufficient ratings there could still be a thirteenth full series at some point (my only worry then is if we are all waiting another few years after next year's special if there is to be a series 13).

Though it is interesting they were offered the finances for a second big special which would have been 3 hours in total of new Dwarf next year (the same length as a 6 episode series), though I suppose I can understand Doug wanting to test whether this format will be effective. Although it will just be one new RD night imminent, if this does end up being the last Red Dwarf episode ever - all great things have to come to an end one day - I really hope Doug can end it on a massive high note and finally this is pretty much in its 1 and a half hour length the Red Dwarf (TV) movie! That proposed 2000s movie was meant to be standalone from the TV series and I hope that this is not the case this time (does anyone know this properly?) and I would like it to follow on from the end of series 12.

But anyhow, although I thought the 2009 special was the least good RD ever - though Pete Part 2 is definitely the weakest episode - I have higher hopes for 2020's as Doug's writing has got stronger and stronger with the subsequent Dave series - peaking with 11/12 - and crucially this time there is a studio audience as BtE without even a laughter track (even its funniest bits) all felt a bit empty/sterile. The legendary Harry Enfield appears to be involved which is fantastic too and I am also very happy overall as it will be broadcast in 2020 which means Red Dwarf will have been shown in 5 decades and 32 years on from its debut on BBC 2.

Although I am a tad disappointed that series 13 has been shelved, for now at least, I am relishing the new Red Dwarf material next year and I am really happy for it to simply be returning to our screens and if Doug can pull this off - and I have a lot of faith in this with the form of series 11/12 - then hopefully it will be a spectacular long form version of RD. Despite the slight ache of a lack of full run this time, this is fansmeggingtastic news and I anticipate very much the recording dates in December to see what anyone in the audience has to tweet - though as they won't do anyway due to policy, no spoilers please. Bring on the Christmas month and Easter (if that is indeed when it is broadcast)!

Apologies for the long post but finally there is more new Red Dwarf truly confirmed!

13. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

It’s none of our business really

14. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah, or at least change your name to SemiDevotee?

sundayforsammy and Asclepius like this.
  16. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

One of Richard Naylor's tweets (linked in a post above) stated it will essentially be a feature length episode of Red Dwarf. Although we can't say for sure, I'm thinking it won't be a separate reboot/universe thing like the movie was going to be. In continuity with the series in other words, although I'd imagine a self contained story, but that's the case of most episodes of Red Dwarf.

I was a bit disappointed we wasn't getting a full series too, but that's far overshadowed by the fact we're getting NEW RED DWARF! I am also interested to see what they do with the format. I know the longer 2-3 part episodes haven't gone down well in the past, but I've sometimes felt certain standard length episodes could have benefited a bit more time.... although probably not feature length, in those cases. Allowing some scenes to breathe and moving on to the 'b' plot after plot 'a' has been satisfactorily resolved is a good thing, surely.

Overall, I'm looking forward to this a lot.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

While I am looking forward to more New Red Dwarf I echo pretty much what @UltraDevotee has said above. Also I'm not a fan of the 3-parter episodes that have gone before even if it is broadcast as one feature length episode. I don't understand the comment that a new series after that might get made if the ratings are good ? I doubt the ratings need checked to see if a New RD is viable as they have always been good so why the need to test the ratings ?

There was talk about a Red Dwarf stage show so if the feature length episode is a tester to see how a longer show for stage may develop then that would make sense. So overall i'm excited about new Dwarf if not a little disappointed it is not 6 - 30min eps.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  19. UltraDevotee

I must admit really I should have been posting something on here over the past few weeks when there has been some new Red Dwarf tweets from Danny etc. I guess I am just a bit lazy at times because like I said it has been exactly 2 months since I last posted.

But anyway I suppose really though it has mostly been because this year I have been occupying myself with so many things that I have run out of time some days to go on the forum. As well as a full Dwarfathon between January and March and a mini series 3 and 5 one in the summer (when I got my replacement Blu-ray discs), I have also embarked on a massive, complete 90s Crystal Maze-athon in the evenings this year.

When not watching Red Dwarf this year, during the day I have watched other DVD/Blu-rays and funnily enough after thinking that I would never play computer games again like I did in my youth, I have even started them up again on some days. It's great fun using my X Plane 11 Flight Simulator with the Great Britain, Alps scenery pack while I have also enjoyed Football Manager. And when my ears are okay I like to play some records and CDs too. So this all takes up time.

But yes even if I am not going to be on this forum permanently it would have been fun to have been on here like everyone else the past few weeks when there were all the new Red Dwarf hints. But anyway there are only 3 episodes left of Ed Tudor-Pole's second series to watch and fans of the show know what happened next so maybe if I have more time in the evenings I can maybe post a bit more especially with all the excitement about the new special being filmed rather soon and if we get some more tweets/information. I might try and log back on here later but next up for me at 4.30 is the massive Liverpool match versus arch-rivals Manchester United. I really hope we can equal Manchester City's record winning run and take another step towards getting that elusive Premier League title!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Ant E likes this.
  20. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

So even though some have said 'No more AA adverts', maybe the funds for doing the advert has paid for an extra long special episode?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    UltraDevotee likes this.