Red Dwarf Star Wars Parody?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RebelWabbit, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

Oh man, this idea struck me as soon as I saw Star Wars on this morning. A entire remake of Star Wars with Red Dwarf characters and a bunch of humor. This would be a perfect movie, and it would also give room for tons and tons of sitcom humor. This can be a discussion, but I think the idea is brilliant :-D

What if Lister discovered he was a chosen Jedi, and Rimmer was the sith lord hahahaha!!! Those ideas were just floaters, but I figured there to be so much room for humor it's unbearable. I don't want people to take the idea too seriously right off hand, but take a little time and think about all of the different things this kind of movie could bring. It would totally be worth seeing right off from the start.

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I think it would be quite a bold and risky direction to take the show in at this point to be honest, although in theory it's certainly an interesting idea. :-) It brings to mind this awesome youtube vid I saw some time ago. Some of it actually works really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ucsdkIpIM

*This is a fan-made video and as such is likely not officially endorsed by Grant Naylor productions...it's a lot of fun though, and certainly compliments the show well in my view* :-)

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

My initial reaction was "Oh God no, that sounds like a terrible idea!" however having had time to think about it a bit more, on reflection I'd have to say "Oh God no, that sounds like a terrible idea!"

Family Guy could get away with it because they have hundreds of characters to chose from, even including incidental characters that are seen once and parallel versions of themselves, Red Dwarf has maybe a few dozen at most and I think a lot of them wouldn't translate very well to a Star Wars setting.

Rimmer as a Sith just wouldn't work, he's supposed to be an incompetent, underachieving nobody not a scheming all powerful evil space wizard who's in charge of the whole galaxy. Similarly Lister as a Jedi? Again, he's just not the type.

The Youtube video works reasonably well because it's short, I doubt it could have lasted much longer without becoming pretty tedious to be honest though.

I'd much rather Red Dwarf stuck to being Red Dwarf myself.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This is fantastic!