Red Dwarf The Movie?????

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Garry2rs, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Garry2rs

Garry2rs Third Technician

Whilst away from home, I browsed the net to find a website with Dwarf episodes on it so I could show my nephew.
    Then, I came across this link on the episodes page.....

Red Dwarf > Season 9 > Episode 9
    Red Dwarf: RED DWARF THE MOVIE is set in the distant future where Homo Sapienoids, a fearsome combination of flesh and machine, and the next stage of human evolution, have taken over the solar system and almost wiped out the human race. The only survivors are the crews of long-haul space freighters that left Earth before the conflict began. The Sapienoids send forth fleets of Death Ships to hunt them down. One by one - the human ships fall, until only one remains. Its name - Red Dwarf... -Official Tagline

Title: Red Dwarf: The Movie
    Air Date: December 31, 1969 (note the odd date?)
    Views: 1,313
    Genres: Comedy Sci-Fi

Intriguing eh?

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

...instinctively, that plot synopsis for a proposed speculative red dwarf movie looks legit!
    I've heard rumours of it, and I'm pretty much sure a select group of a few people have the working script that has been in the pipeline for years now. The synopsis also ties in with snippets of rumours I've heard as well; e.g. from interviews, articles, and forum posts here and there....

...whilst any red dwarf movie is great...I can think of better scenarios/plot arcs for a red dwarf movie!
    ...of course if Naylor still has this movie in mind, then the next 2 series will lead up to the dwarf and crew finding their way home...which will then set-up the movie premise.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The synopsis IS legit. It seems unlikely it will be made now though. Maybe elements of the film will be incorporated new series? I know the film is a re-imagining, but I'm sure some of that stuff could be adapted. The sapienoid stuff for example. It seems possible that in the later series the crew will arrive on Earth at some point. (For real I mean.)

4. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Yup, it IS legit. They've been trying to push the movie through since 1999. They got fairly far into things around 2001 I believe - this site even posted news stories about cast read-throughs and published storyboards of the movie. Unfortunately due to funding, it never came to pass. Remember the Creator from BTE? He was going to play a part in the movie - Hoagie the Roagie (Rogue Simulant) or some such.

Andew - I've noticed that you've now removed the storyboards from the gallery. Any chance you can post these again or are your hands tied due to copyright etc?

5. betelgeuse

well this is a strange thing; the cast in the commentaries seem to often think that they'd be in the movie if there was one...and I for one would find it easy tocreate a movie and put those characters in...but really to make it work you'd have to keep the crew out in deep space in order to return to Earth and probably find kochanski or save earth in the process. This ending would be the ultimate finale if it came after the next 2 series...but if naylor puts it in the latter of the next 2 series that the crew return to earth, this would spoil any chance of making the red dwarf movie in my opinion - which is something I can imagine Naylor stubbornly doing.

Sure you could do an unrelated red dwarf movie...a reimagiing...with the crew = the only human crew in an interplanetary war defending earth...but if the current cast weren't going to be in it, then the movie should have gone into production
    - my opinion is that people in charge of making british films like a proposed red dwarf movie, at places like working title or universal or other studios - won't go near naylors script with a barge pole because of the poor last 2 series. Its such a shame, because if Rob Grant was writing with Naylor still I think there'd be a stronger chance of there being a Red dwarf movie.

I personally wouldn't like a red dwarf movie just for the sake of having one...and if the original cast wasn't goin to be in the movie I'd rather wait another 20 or so years until the current cast are too old to play the parts before recasting and creating a 'reimaging'....so....dear Doug Naylor...if you do a movie please keep the current crew in deep space with a return to earth as their goal!

6. Carrie TORDFC

A lot changes in 10 years - back then, the fans were stupidly keen to see the movie get off the ground and the prospect was far more realistic - series VIII pulled in up to 8 million viewers and the following was as strong as ever. It made perfect sense to try and move into a different medium.

Now, I know several others share my opinion that the movie really couldn't and shouldn't happen ten years down the line. IMO, I believe that they should publish the movie in script format, gathering together photos of pre-production, read-throughs, storyboards etc. However, I feel that it would be a big decision for Naylor to make - he'd have to let go of the movie prospect and the rights if they are indeed solely his. But I should imagine there's a hell of a lot of red tape involved...

7. betelgeuse

I've seen alot of interviews or articles that seem to infer that the movie was already written after series VII and that the crew were to return for the movie and then carry on with series VIII. Perhaps Chris Barrie also wanted some time off series VII in order to get fit for the proposed movie????

I think Naylor has a few 'big' decisions he needs to decide upon wherein he has to put the future of Red Dwarf before his own career;
    A) should he keep his vision of the Red Dwarf movie under wraps holding out for a day a group of people both accept his script as well as having enough funding - or wether as you say, naylor should release his ideas for the proposed movie thats been in the pipeline for years and release it in somekind of bookform, as they do with movies (like the recent Empire Strikes Back 'making of'-book) or failed movies (such as Alejandro Jodorowsky's DUNE).
    B) Naylor also needs to decide wether he is able to relinquish the writing of a red dwarf movie to someone else or not, naylor could even retain input into the movie, oking or neysaying things here and there, on the basis of that system I'm sure Rob grant could even have input into a red dwarf movie....to make the perfect red dwarf movie with the current and original cast, it is vital that Naylor decides on this now as its clear no one really wants to make 'his vision' of the movie, and that the original cast havnt got long (perhaps5years or so) before they're really too old to do such a movie.

8. Carrie TORDFC

I think you're right re: the movie being considered as early as 1997 - after all, wasn't that why they re-introduced Kochanski (a sexy female cast member helping the package to look far more attractive to movie bosses etc)?

It's just struck me as rather sad that Red Dwarf may very well come to an end in 1-2 series time (after that, I agree, it may very well be too late due to actors' age etc). But you've got to admit - 22 years so far is a bloody good run. I think the show will continue in other mediums (further novels, reboots etc) but all good things do have to come to an end eventually to keep them truly great.

9. betelgeuse

coincidentally as more news comes out bit by bit of a speculative future 2 series, I also became sad that this may be the original cast's last hurrah - I think you have to think of it as in quantity and what the cast can pull off in the following years =
    the cast could do 2 series and then a movie, or 2 series and then a final 2 series after that - if you get what i mean.

But I also get overly worried that red dwarf (and the original cast) won't get the movie they deserve, or the send off they deserve. I think it would be very easy and stubbornly flippant to incorporate a 'return to earth' and 'farewell/happy-ever-after' scene at the end of the 2nd of the next 2 series!!!! I can imagine naylor doing this as well, which makes me quiver...as I can personally only see a red dwarf movie working if the crew were kept in deep space and they got back to earth in the course of the movie.

10. Carrie TORDFC

At least Naylor has got a *chance* to get it right - rather than the god-awful cliffhanger that series VIII left us with ;-)

11. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

New series...new movie...I'm indifferent. I just want more Red Dwarf! :-)

12. Carrie TORDFC

Hehe I like it. Just MOAR PWEASE! kthxbai.

13. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

The guys here are all messing with you. Yeah the film was made in 1969, and it was totally awesome.

14. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Seriously! Considering taking puppy-dog-begging-eyes photos from my children and animals (it works on me at least) with a letter begging. Offer for bribery is out there too you Dwarf powers that be. I'll make you my delicious curry stew...? My delicious oven fried chicken perhaps? Send you market spice tea?

15. truereddevil

truereddevil Third Technician

Why don't we start a begging page on facebook sometimes the producers look at these things

I do hope this really does come to light tho

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Their priority would be the new series at the moment. I have my doubts the film will ever be made now, although I wouldn't say 'never'. It would be great to see the story in some form though even if some of it were incorporated into the new series. Obviously much of the film was a re-imagining, but I'm thinking largely of the other Homo Sapienoid stuff.

17. futureechoes

futureechoes Skutter

What I do not understand is why an obviously hot-commodity such as the Red Dwarf franchise is having such a hard time being made! Movie and/or series. Usually, such a situation smells of personality difficulties-perhaps individual egos? Point being; the cast are not getting any younger. The powers that be, which are obviously the ones behind the stalling of the production, need to think of the fans who have been loyal and to the actors who are obviously still committed to the series.........and just make the thing. Any half-wit should realize that once the show is up & running again, any tweaking that needs to be done could be done then. Certainly the payoff will be much better when the show is in production and creating revenue. Otherwise, waiting will get nobody anything. Wake up and lets get the Dwarf back in the saddle. I'm just saying.:x

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

All the cast members seem to be pretty enthusiastic concerning a new series, so I don't think it's an 'ego' issue. Scheduling comes into it certainly, with the cast members being actively involved in other projects (Craig Charles, Coronation Street, Robert Llewellyn and Chris Barrie presentation ventures, etc.)

And in the past there was the long running channel issue, (BBC not willing to risk rescheduling a show that had been of the air for years) although they seem to have a home of sorts now with Dave. And lots of timing, scheduling, financial stuff that we don't see much about.

In short, it's just not as simple as that. But things are looking positive as far as a new series is concerned albeit it will probably happen later than we'd wish, but nothing new there then! Look at the gap between series 8 and Back to Earth. If it gets done, I have a feeling we won't have to wait that long but that's just my own thoughts on the matter.

19. Starbugger27

Starbugger27 Third Technician

I'm not sure what to make of all this talk of a movie. From the DVD extras I've watched recently, it would be a re-imagining of the Red Dwarf we know and love. This could have had some legs back in the early days, but the universe Doug (and Rob) have built needs to be treated with a degree of respect. Plus, will the movie feel any better than BTE? I actually liked BTE, as alien as it initially felt, but I don't think I'd choose to see a continuation of that audience-less dynamic.

If there is any funding/timeslots available, I'd love to see a series filling the gap between series 8 and BTE.

I think considering RD's last ten years, a movie is a little ambitious and very, very risky.

20. Shepherdrianna

Shepherdrianna Skutter

i really can't wait for the movie if there is one officialy, i have hurd some rumours on here and the internet about it.:-D