Red Dwarf - The Next Generation?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Callisto252, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

It occurred to me recently that my son is the same age as I was when Red Dwarf first aired in '88. This would be a better story if I'd actually watched the programme in '88, but I didn't (and wouldn't discover it until I got my own TV a couple of years later). Anyway, he loves Red Dwarf - particularly series I and II, which does surprise me a little - but I don't think many of his friends have watched it (or much TV at all, in fact).

It got me thinking about the future of the show - it's such an unexpected bonus for it to be still going a whole generation later (how my teenage self would have marvelled at that!) but I wonder how long it will all last. OK we've got two new series and maybe some live shows to come, but what do you think will happen beyond that? Can we possibly hope for more, particularly if series XI and XII are a success? Can the show - does the show even want to - attract a new and younger audience? Or should Red Dwarf be finally shuffled off to the giant spaceship graveyard? Your thoughts!

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

For me, the series ended with 8. Back to Earth, on reflection, was a respectable return for the team, but from there on in I'm not interested.

As for its future, I don't really think it's going to be a long one. The actors are looking old even now and I think it's in real danger of becoming Last of the Summer Wine in space. Sadly, this isn't only reflected by the casts' declining years, but the style of comedy too.

A new generation of fans? Maybe a small one, but they will be a very different animal to us, and if they've only seen series X onwards I very much doubt they'll have any real interest in classic Red Dwarf because of how different the tone and style is. It's good to hear your son is a fan of series 1 and 2 - clearly a lad with taste - but I think he's in the minority.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Considering the premise of the show from the beginning: the two lowest ranking unskilled crewmembers of a ship and their selfish humanoid cat stuck in deep space three million years in the future - I think the characters aging would add to that premise if anything. I don't mean that to denigrate the middle aged and elderly. In fact a bit of extra wisdom time can bring could be as much an asset to future stories as anything, but point is, the onset of old age does give everyone more limitations. And character limitation has always been a major factor in this show. Even when they were joined by Kryten, they were never the elite of the ship like the bridge crews who star in Star Trek and the like. Except in the sense that they were the only people on the ship...

Fair points concerning the change in humour, although I didn't think it bad overall. Some of it was really good in fact, but obviously that's a matter of taste. Series X was generally preferable to Series 8, anyway, and I'm not an 8 hater. I do hope that the two new series do bring back more of the humour style of previous series while retaining the best of X.

As for the future of the show, age may be a factor, not so much in the development of the characters as what the actors feel capable of, and what they will put up with. It can be pretty strenuous working on Red Dwarf, and I know Robert Llewellyn has always found that latex and suit a real chore. Even with the improvements in comfort, that probably won't get better.

I think we're in the home stretch so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if there were one full series after this or a special or even a movie of some kind, if only made for TV like the Back to Earth Director's Cut. They all have a love for the show and I think they may put their all into it for one last burst, including that live show they spoke of.

4. Callisto252

In terms of its current incarnation, this has to be true. I agree with M'Aiden Ty-One that the age of the characters is no barrier to the show continuing, but the age of the actors and what they're prepared to put up with certainly may be. I'm hoping for at least one more series after these (it's so much more fun being a Red Dwarf fan now than it was back in the 90s, I want to enjoy all the online rumours/build up at least one more time!) and am also hoping that any live show won't be at the expense of a new series.

If I'm being entirely honest with myself, part of me thinks it would have been pretty cool if the programme had ended after series VI with the exploding Starbug. But since it did carry on, now I want it to carry on for as long as possible. I mean, even if the new material turns out to be not so good, I don't think it will harm the show's legacy - IMO it can't possibly sink lower than series VIII, and anything that eradicates the memory of that series is a big positive (sorry!! I know lots of people do like it, it's just not Red Dwarf to me).

Oh, and series X was what got my son into RD (and got me back into it!), so perhaps the comedy style itself is not the problem - I think the main barrier to attracting a younger audience is getting them off their mobiles/tablets/Xboxes long enough for them to actually watch it in the first place.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Swap VIII for X in this sentence, and I'm with you all the way

No, it is :-D

6. Callisto252

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ;-)

7. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

All my son's loves red dwarf(even my youngest) but I guess that's because they've all grown up with it,I think a few of their friends watch it thanks to netflix:-D

8. Callisto252

Ha ha, maybe we've brainwashed them into liking Red Dwarf! My younger son likes it as well, even though he has a few problems and doesn't really follow the stories as such. But he loves the Cat and does a mean Rimmer salute. In fact, last time we were at the clinic he saluted the doctor on the way out. The doctor was a bit confused!

9. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Hehe bless him very sweet:-D

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

This.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't want Red Dwarf continuing endlessly and ending up, as someone said, as "Last Of The Summer Wine - In Space" where Kryten invites GELFs around for a book club and inadvertently reads 50 Shades Of Grey to them (hence the episode title "50 Shades Of GELF") whilst Lister and Cat slide down Red Dwarf's nose cone in a bath, and Rimmer cycles around everywhere telling people off.

11. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

That sounds awesome.

12. Callisto252

As much as part of me would quite like to see that scenario play out (!) I think we can all agree that it's definitely not what we'd want the show to become. But inevitably (and not wanting to sound ageist here) a show involving older actors larking about and getting into scrapes is always going to be compared to 'Last of the Summer Wine'. So RD should definitely rein in the wackiness.

It's interesting that the show was first pitched as 'Steptoe and Son' in space (on acid) though - neither of the actors in that show were exactly spring chickens. And didn't Rob and Doug initially envisage Lister as being in his forties? So age itself shouldn't be a barrier to the show continuing - Lister and Rimmer could bicker on well into their dotage. I think that's what I'd like to see - more bickering! A final series (XIII - nah, call it XV!) which really harks back to Series I, perhaps set in the same quarters, with Lister and Rimmer baiting each other ad infinitum. Marvellous.

13. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

My 9 year old loves reddwarf, His fav is the cat, his fav ep that he's seen so far is Back To Earth so he say's, he loves the bit in the diving bell when the squid attacks. He's not too keen on series 1 and 2 up to now but im sure he'll like them when he's a bit older.

I love all of red dwarf every series, Not one would i call rubbish, each series has it's good and bad eps like with all tv programs. Been a fan since day one, laying on my bed 12 year old watching ep one when it 1st aired, hooked ever since. all this it was rubbish after series 6 does my head in. series 7 has some of my fav eps in same with 8. embrace it, what other 28 year old sci fi comedy program is out there with the same cast. NONE:-D:-D

14. Callisto252

Very true, Red Dwarf is in a category entirely of its own! And never mind the sci fi comedy tag, I can't think of any other show that has run for so long with the same cast (in the UK at least). Can anyone else?