Red Dwarf the ship - questions/thoughts

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by BigOleDummy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

There's been a couple of things about the ship itself I've wondered about forever it seems. Maybe someone can enlighten this bigoledummy about the hardware.

1} - Just WHAT the smeg is the big black mass on the bottom/sides of the ship? It LOOKS like a mud dauber nest, just on a gigantic scale. If it was ore (mining ship after all) why is it outside not inside and just how is it attached? If its NOT ore then........ what is it? If it was a part of the ship wouldn't it be anglular like the rest of it?

2} - I don't get why the ship is painted red ........... EXCEPT for the small (relatively) area around the name, which is white with the lettering in red. Wouldn't it be red all over with white lettering hence "Red Dwarf"?

3} - Why in the name of all that's holy does it have "Diesel Decks". I REFUSE to believe that its even for emergency power. The quantities of fuel it would take not to mention air for combustion, exhaust, the space it/they take up etc. DIESEL DECKS?!?!

4} - Just WHAT is it made of? Can't be steel or any of the ferrous based metals. By the time we join the crew its been in space for 3 MILLION years. 3 million years of constant gamma, x and cosmic ray bombardment, not to mention the constant rain of micrometeor's (possibly ameliorated some by the ram scoop I've give you that),would destroy anything metallic.

4a) - The same can be said for the skutters, 3 million years of constant use (after all, they had to be operational for the ships maintenance) and they are just a little crazy? They should be heaps of dust by now.

Anyway, ....... answers anyone? I'm at a loss myself :eek:ops:, but then I chose my username for a reason you know ;-)

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I've always understood it to be an asteroid. There is some debate as to whether it is the result of a collision and is embedded, or whether it's being deliberately mined and thus held on by some sort of . . . holders. I think the latter is more likely, surely a hull breach like that would cause a lot of problems. There'd be an open wound to space, unless the asteroid totally plugged the hole. Mind you, the ship is so big, maybe there are entire floors with no artifical atmosphere. I note that it is present on the ship even pre-accident.

I guess your way would be more efficient, but this is a minor aesthetic point, there's not really a right or wrong about it. We know that re-painting the ship was a common punishment, maybe someone got told to paint it like that to drag out the punishment.

Maybe the diesel was for surface mining equipment.

In Father's & Suns we learn that Red Dwarf has "carbon-carbon" heat shields which protect it from radiation.

They haven't necessarily been in constant use. Maybe they spent a lot of the three million years sitting around.

At the end of the day, it's the future. Technology is better in the future.

Apart from VHS.

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

1} - Maybe I guess, but that answer just doesn't "feel" right to me.

2} - Doesn't matter really as you say, but aesthetically .................

3} - I must admit I've thought of that, but in the slides from Rimmer's holiday they sure look embedded to me.

4} - I guess I missed the "carbon-carbon" bit. BUT even so, 3 million years .......... all the stresses from acceleration (albeit very small), course corrections etc., the metal fatigue alone "carbon-carbon shields" or not ...... I'm not sure even a pure diamond hull couldn't withstand that.

4a} - Sure , they wouldn't HAVE to work everyday of course but then there would have to be many more skutters than we see. Even then, and supposing they only worked ONE week a month that would total a life span of 689,938 years 40 days (rounding up). Sure hope my new computer lasts that long ........

None of this really matters of course, I love the Dwarf and its crew. Its just that most of the "science" in the show is solidly based in fact or theory and these examples (to me) are so glaringly out in left field that they seem a little ........ I don't know ....... they just nibble at my brain. :eek:ops:

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

You'll want to take a look around the Red Dwarf wiki, Tongue Tied. It doesn't always cite its sources though.

http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Asteroids_(Red_Dwarf)
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Asteroid
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Diesel_Decks
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Punishment_Detail
    http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Skutters

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

I will! Soon, losing my net for awhile tomorrow so it may be a little while before I can. Cannot BELIEVE its going to take 8 freaking hours to switch our cable and net services! Thanks for the info!

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The Diesel Decks don't necessarily contain literal diesel. Possibly it's just a nickname referring to the fact that it's where a lot of heavy machinery is. The crew seemed to delight in coming up with alliterative nicknames, eg "Headbanger Harris", "Freaky Fungus", "Bent Bob". If that's where a lot of heavy mining equipment is, they'd call them the "Diesel Decks".

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I guess because if the lettering was white, you wouldn't have the pull-back gag showing that the huge wall of red that Lister is painting is actually only a tiny letter F?

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I was watching Remastered recently and I noticed that the underside has been redesigned. It makes clear that the asteroids are there on purpose because they're in little square bays, so are probably being mined.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, I believe that was intentional with the redesign of the ship.

Judging by the description in the novel, I think the original intent was that a small moon actually collided with the ship, and they just left it there. I suppose removing it might have compromised the ship further so they just made the surrounding areas safe.

Despite appearing shorter again now, I suspect they're following the 'intentionally anchored in place idea' in the latest series, since this iteration of the ship is essentially the pencil with the middle cut out.

I'd need to look at it again to confirm this though, as I forget how the asteroid/moon looked.

10. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I prefer the look of the original ship a lot better. But the remastered one makes a lot more sense. One thing I never understood about the original ship was why does it look so ugly. I know there is a line about cutbacks. But surely sticking so many random parts on all over the place would cost more.