Red Dwarf: Themes and Perspectives

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by david1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. david1

david1 Third Technician

Alrite Doods,

I just wanted to start a thread for this to have a sort of critique of the show,
    I firmly believe, whether I am looking to far into it or not, that Red Dwarf is deeper in meaning and has much more social relevance than it is given credit for.

If one regards the premise of red dwarf, like I do, to be one of loneliness and a general feeling of being cut-off from society. then much can be concluded. This feeling it seems is becoming more and more prevalent all the time. Antisocial is the new social in many ways, and red dwarf explored the antisocial better than anything else I have seen eg the young ones.

I am not some sort of academic, I just wondered if anyone had anything interesting to say about underlying meanings or any other perspectives. Maybe it's not Hamlet, but for a show to leave such a legacy and have such a large fan base as red dwarf, there must be something deeper.

Toodle Pipski

2. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

I believe you are totaly right, must agree there are much deeper messages in there...

3. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

They've tried to make it about loneliness on occasion (like when Lister was explaining why he couldn't burn his guitar), but it never really works, for the simple reason that he's not alone. It's more like being on a campout with friends than it is about loneliness. A small group goes out in the wilderness, pals around, swaps stories, and has little adventures.

4. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

I don't agree, i actually think loneliness is a significant theme in the series, as Lister IS lonely, he's the last human being alive.
    However, in regards to the rest of his crew mates, it is like a 'camp-out with friends' from the viewers point of view, but not from their's, remember Timeslides? Lister was desperate to change his life. Some of the concepts tackled in Red Dwarf are positively genius.

5. david1

david1 Third Technician

I think your both right. loneliness and friendships are abound (depending on the situation). Although I think the fact that Lister's whole 'mission' to return to earth shows he longs for some real human contact, proving his loneliness

In reality, every tight group of friends has their own 'red dwarf' moments. There is always the dumb one (ie the cat), the sensible one (kryten) etc in groups. Or if you want to look at it more psychologically there are a leader(lister), an entertainer(cat), and a mother (kryten). They hit the nail on the head with the group dynamics. however, where does rimmer fit in?

"You have to get up pretty early in the A.M. to outsmart Arnie J!"

6. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Dislike of Rimmer bonds them all together. There's often someone like that in a group as well. Take Rimmer out, and they would turn on each other, or find someone else to focus their group loathing on. It's human nature. When we were monkeys, we probably strengthened the group by beating up one or two individuals who were low in the hierarchy. Now, we just talk to each other about their faults and how much we hate them.

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think waxworld's the best for philysophical message. Lister's speech at the end is certainly the best moral Lister quote i can think of. I've never understood why waxworld is so unpopular.