Red Dwarf USA Early Edit

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Harlz, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Harlz

Harlz Skutter

Hi, I have no clue how known if people have seen this before or not but i have recently found online a extremely early edit of red dwarf USA. It has a lot of differences from the theme music being the music off the og red dwarf to new clips that i had definitely hadn't seen before. The quality is a bit better than the final episode on YouTube. I uploaded it to youtube so everyone can see it:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
    BigOleDummy likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What are these new scenes you mentioned? It's been a long time since I last watched the American pilot, but I don't think there was anything in this that I haven't seen previously.

3. Harlz

Harlz Skutter

Sorry I phrased it wrong. I meant new clips, for example new one liners or new footage of the red dwarf ship in place of where the opening should be.

4. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

now this really is interesting, it's quite intriguing to watch and see all the differences.

5. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

there's an extra scene with all the crew's new recruits watching holly's welcome video, and kryten telling his spare head to cheer up. the scene where rimmer reprimands the skutters for goofing off also has quite a few extra lines in it. rimmer gets a lot more lines in this edit it seems. there's a bunch more changes i can't be bothered to list, so here's a link to a version of the script that shows lines that were changed between the rough cut and final cut- http://brit_skits.tripod.com/RedDwarf/rdinusa.txt

Pembers likes this.
  6. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

That model shot of Red Dwarf right after the credits and before Holly appears...was that ever used on the UK show. Its interesting of an original model shot to not have a static camera. This one pans as Red Dwarf moves past.

7. Harlz

Harlz Skutter

I dont think it was used in the UK show at all. I hadn't seen that shot before this

Pembers likes this.
  8. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I had never sat through the only other edit/try of the American Red Dwarf but made it all the way on this one. Still can't hold a candle to the REAL Dwarf but wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Numerous things I didn't care for, which is why it didn't "take" I suppose. American Rimmer ........... was just a disappointment. Lister ...... fair. Kryten ... was excellent. Cat ....... fairly good. Is that Jane Leeves as Holly? I'm sure it was/is. Now that was an interesting casting choice and I think she did ....... decently. A few more top notch lines and she would have been just fine. One thing that shook me to the core was the last scene with the time traveling crew. No Rimmer but Kochanski was with the boys. If I know anything about American boardroom thinking I'm sure that was a "peek". I can just see the suits sitting around a table saying "we need to sexy this up". Totally afraid that if it had made it to production Rimmer wouldn't have lasted the first season and Krissy would have been a full time crew member.

9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I do think it would be interesting if RD had somewhat of a dynamic crew, although it's a good thing the British one mostly didn't.

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Hi guys - I'm not going to stop discussion of this (it's a piece of RD history at the end of the day), but you should know that the RD USA pilot remains copyrighted material, and so should not be posted/embedded here on the forum.