Red Dwarf VIII revisited

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mychemicaldwarf, Aug 23, 2016.

1. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

Ok, so i've pretty much always disliked Red Dwarf VIII. Only ever watched each episode 2 or 3 times, whereas something like Marooned i must have seen a hundred times over the years. The only VIII episode i actually liked to any degree at all, was Cassandra. Apart from that episode and Krytie TV, i can't even remember the other episodes aside from the odd scene. Tonight, i'm revisiting series VIII in it's entirety. Is anybody else brave enough to take this challenge? Obviously, if you actually like VIII there's not much point. But if you've always been allergic to it and not seen it in ages, i'd love to know what you think of each episode now. I honestly don't have a clue what to expect. How much of my dislike of the series is based on the pure brilliance of series II through VI? Only time will tell. 8)

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I recently-ish rewatched every episode of Red Dwarf, including season 8, and while some episodes get better and better the more times you watch them (such as Marooned and most of seasons 5, 6 and 7) season 8 gets worse and worse. It's hideous and something I now find painful to watch - and I'm someone who initially really liked season 8. I hate it with such a passion these days that next time I go through all the episodes I'm just going to from Nanarchy to Back to Earth, bypassing season 8 completely. And I've no idea when I'm ever going to watch any episode from 8 again. Right now, I'm not even sure if I'm going to watch any of them again ever. If I were to make a list of my favourite to least favourite episodes, all five episodes from season 8 (counting multi-parters as one each) would be in the bottom ten.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Make sure you let us know what you thought on your rewatch.

4. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

I thought some of it was ok. Some good lines i'd forgot all about. There's just no real cohesion to any of it. It feels more like a soap opera gone weird than proper Dwarf.
    The truly embarrassing stuff like the non stop erections really do ruin the series. And Kryten being a "woman". I don't dislike it as much as i used to, it helps that series X came along. If either series VIII or BTE had been the last ever Dwarf, it would have been a rubbish way to go out. Series X and hopefully beyond make the less good stuff easier to watch.

5. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I think I'm 50% of the people that really like S8. The uncut, complete feature-length version of Back in the Red is brilliant. That isn't something I'd say about the rest of S8, but there were some good episodes. The episodic version of BitR is disjointed and very hard to follow. Cassandra was a great episode. I personally think Only the Good... is a great episode. I initially hated Krytie TV for years but I enjoy it now. Pete was a decent idea not executed in top RD form. Probably should have been reduced to a half-hour.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Series VIII has always been a struggle for me, I disliked it to begin with and thought there were a few laughs. Over time I've grown to dislike it more, and find that most of the laughs I thought it did have aren't even funny. It really is a series that gets worse the more I see it, and I think that series 7 for all it's problems gets more forgivable over time. I would say that the only episode that was even sorta okay was Cassandra, and even in that episode the stuff in The Tank was pretty lame. One of things that stands out about series 8 (in a negative way ofcourse) is how most of it doesn't feel like Red Dwarf at all.....and for all the many changes to the series went through during 1-7, it atleast always felt like I was watching the same show.