Red Dwarf VIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mtullock, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Am I the only onw who thinks RDVIII is actually under-rated? Sure it gets stupid and Pete is a terrible concept and dancing Bluemidgets are appaling. But at its heart some of my fav moments are in 8:

1) The return to the original quarters and uniforms - I loved this! I would have had 1/2 the series like this if I could
    2) Rimmer like he used to be - as above
    3) Holly - as above (but grossly under used)
    4) Kill Crazy - thought he was brilliant
    5) Cassandra - great ep
    6) the Jail bunk scenes we some of the best Rimmer and Lister back and forth for ages
    7) The everyone loves a bastard setup scenes
    8) The special anasol applicator etc....
    9) Ackerman
    10) Kochanski - this is the best the character was in any of the series.

My biggest disappointments though were:

1) the dancing midgets
    2) Pete
    3) Stupid Hollister and Dennis the Donut boy - such a shame to ruin the Captain like that
    4) The poor CG
    5) No Petersen
    6) Kneeing Death in the balls
    7) Krytie TV

I think underneath the long spanning stories there was a real gem of a RD series screaming to get out....

but maybe just me lol

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't know if you'd be the only one, but I'm sure that belief would put you in a very small minority.

I've never disagreed with anyone about Red Dwarf more than this. Of all those ten things you mention, I have the complete opposite opinion.

No, just no.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I only agree with one of those positives, the return of the original Bunkroom was a cute touch. However that's where my praise ends, since even the best episode Cassandra was pretty average since the scenes in the tank were generally pretty terrible. Rimmer was a cartoon version of his old self (even if I was happy to see him back anyway) and pretty much everything else is horrible. I know taste is subjective but I can't understand how anyone enjoyed these episodes, as I find series VIII not just bad Red Dward but legitimately horrible television!

4. mtullock

I guess I just miss the old series 1 and 2 days and the nod was great. I think at about the 1/3 or maybe even 1/2 way through the series the show then goes into terrible territory. The initial set up I thought was a nice touch. If I could have I would have done it like this:

1) return to crewed red dwarf (1 ep)
    2) Get Jailed (for two or three eps)
    3) Something Rimmer did once again wipes out the crew
    4) Lister and rest were on a canary mission to return to RD find everyone dead.....again
    5) a few eps back on RD ala the old days.

I think that is the missing series "trying to get out" that I am trying to get at :-) .....

5. Slainmonkey

The fact that Red Dwarf is a prison ship fronting as a mining ship really bugs me.

6. mtullock

was it not more that it acted as a brig and a temporary transport vessel while it dotted about the solar system. However, I appreciate that it does not explain why these prisoners who were simply being transported were given away missions?! in my version they would simply have been in the brig not a special floor 13 with tonnes of others. The mission they were sent on would have been to repay their debts to JMC

7. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

iv got to agree tbh, really enjoyed series 8 as with series 7 and 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 BTE and X.

8. Slainmonkey

Series VIII is odd in that as much as I hate it, and many others for that matter....it has a lot of defenders. I mean I have even met someone who thinks Pete part 2 is the best episode, commenting on how funny he found Archie. I however just don't see it, what strikes me most about that series is just how little most of it actually feels like I'm watching Red Dwarf!

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I only agree with the old bunk room, loved series 1 and 2 the most and it was nice. They couldn't even get rimmers suit right though, it was similar. Loved the intelligent holly. Apart from that, Jesus, it still offends me to this day.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

And the captain spends most of the time dealing with 2 prisoners, i guess there isn't much to do on that ship ;p

11. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

I agree there's a lot to like in series eight. Humour-wise, they threw a lot of mud, and quite a bit of it stuck for me. I remember being really heartened by episode one, for instance, and loving Cassandra. I think there's a cracking six episode series in there, trying to get out.

I wonder at the wisdom of bringing back the crew for the whole series. This would have been great for a one-off story - perhaps a two parter - but having it for a whole series alienated fans (especially since the situation was left hanging for a decade). When they introduced the Canaries, I wondered if it was a clumsy way of trying to allow (within the confines of the arc) some Starbug-style plot devices. But I wish I'd seen Cassandra told in the normal Dwarf way (if you take the Canaries out, it's cut from the same Starbuggy, monster-of-the-week cloth as Legion).

Changing that would require most of the series to be heavily rewritten. So, keeping the crew for the whole series, I would have:

BITR parts one and two - condensed from the best bits of the original three parter.

Cassandra.

Krytie TV, polished a bit - I think the basic plot is quite good, and the guitar strings payoff is up there with Queeg IMHO.

Time Wand - a single ep based on the promising (and quite funny) discovery of the time wand, before it all went tyrannosaurus rexy.

Only The Good - with actual closure at the end - getting rid of the revived crew, and killing nano-Rimmer off to return as a hologram.

I think that would have been a pretty good series, personally - certainly as good as what we're getting in the Dave era.

12. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Agree with Jack Mevlvin Colin, there was the nucleus of a good series there.

I think resurrecting the crew and turning the main casts world around was a decent idea but I didn't like the prison thing. I think them going back to their 'normal' lives, with Cat and Kryten being given jobs would have worked better. Cassandra and Krytie TV could still have had similar plots as could the now 1 part time wand show and Only the Good. They would still have wanted to 'escape' having been uphappy with their new life.

Never mind eh.

13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It's a half great, semi abysmal series for me. I loved BitR 1, BitR 2, Cassandra and Krytie TV but the Pete episodes and too much of Only the Good were dreadful. Meanwhile BitR 3 while otherwise rounding off the story okay of how they ended up in prison had too much padding. At the same time not using the original "happy" ending to Only the Good is infamous now of course.

So yes it is a half sensational, half bad TV real mixed bag for me but the strong half of it makes it just about worthwhile IMHO as a Red Dwarf series and I might prefer it slightly to series 7 as it has more laughs IMHO but obviously all the other series apart from the BtE mini series I would put above it.

14. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

They shouldnt have made 8 eps...

The writing on the show felt very rushed and badly acted (by Chris and Craig) - thankfully they recovered for BTE.

The success of series 5 and 6 (and to some extent 7) were less characters meaning better guest stars and more jokes to go round. RD 8 doubled the characters and made it pretty unfunny.

That said, series 8 is still funnier than Citizen Khan or Mrs Browns Boys.

15. Slainmonkey

It wasn't just Chris and Craig, it was everyone....they had the most screen time. Actually I think some of the very worst preformance in series VIII came from Robert, Kryten was painful in that series. I think it was down to Doug as he seems to like broader performances from the staff. While it's evened out somewhat since, you can still see elements of that to this day.....that's why so many people still throw around words like "Pantomime" even in the new episodes.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Red Dwarf VIII just had far too many cringeworthy and frustrating moments that far outweighed the good stuff. Horrible jokes and flat out eye-wateringly terrible special effects, sometimes at the same time (I'm looking at you, dancing Blue Midgets).

I hated the fact there was a gigantic sinister prison on board and that the crew, especially Hollister, were corrupt evil scumbags. Totally unsympathetic and unlikable, which was too much a reversal from what we originally believed about the crew. I much preferred it when it was just a basic mining ship, full of competant normal staff. Sometimes things are greater when they are left as mundane details.

I hated the way it resurrected the crew and removed the key premise of the show. It just wasn't worth trading that premise in.

The way it brings the momentum of the show to a screeching halt for the sake of pantomime misery is also a PTSD inducing source of frustration for me.

17. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Yes, it was a bit odd. You get rid of both problems with Pember's suggestion, where they just go back to their normal lives after BITR.

The end of that story is actually quite funny. I like how the crew are found innocent of the original charges, but sent down for things they did since.

Still - rather than inventing a whole new prison, you could just make it "house arrest" in the (lovely) original bunkroom set.

18. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Or they could all have been put in stasis, with Rimmer found not guilty and left to carry on with his duties.

I'll let you fill the rest in yourselves.

19. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I would've preffered that season if they were under house arrest in the original bunks then being in the prison. The only one of the officers that we see who I don't mind being incompetent was the psychologist. It would explain why Rimmer didn't get the help he needed ;-) I didn't like the Captain and the other officers being shown incompetent as they were in 8.

20. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Ha ha, VG. That would have been hilarious :-)