Red Dwarf VIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mtullock, Sep 16, 2016.

1. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

You aren't alone. I love S8. The uncut, full length Back in the Red is one of my favorite episodes, and a true Dwarf masterpiece in my book.

Agreed here, especially Ackerman. Nice to see someone who else appreciated that character. I'd love a one-off Ackerman episode at some point in Dwarf's future.

You really remind me a lot of myself. While I mostly love S8, I disliked Krytie TV for years and years. It finally grew on me. Give it another chance (or three). What about..... THE APPEAL!?!

Also, stupid Hollister/Dennis the Donut Boy can be eliminated by watching the full-length Back in the Red which eliminates the "Captain's Logs" they used to bride the "chopped" version together. No more Dennis the Donut Boy.

Also, fully agree the dancing midgets and Pete being the low point of the season.

Although kneeing Death in the balls is classic Dwarf, IMO.

2. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

But there was only 2 status booths on the ship.....

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

You can't whack Death on the head, but apparently you can kick him in the balls :roll:.....no I strong disagree with you about that scene being "classic Red Dwarf". I would actually go as far as say that it's one of many moments in series VIII that feels very out of character for Red Dwarf, if anything it's more something I would expect to see in Bottom or something!

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The kicking death in the balls thing is so surreal for Red Dwarf that the only way to explain is either rimmer is hallucinating or death actually exists and its no wonder doug hasn't wanted to explain the ending of Series 8 because its just a mess as doug clearly wanted to just end the show as quick as possible so he could start on the red dwarf movie.

5. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Not on the super duper nanobot remade ship, there were loads.

Probably.

6. mtullock

point taken lol :-)

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

There is one part in Krytie TV that makes me laugh out loud is the bit where Kryten rips off Jeremy Beadle in 'Beadle's About'

8. Pheeeeebs

Pheeeeebs Skutter

I've been doing my annual rewatch of all the series, and did enjoy VIII more than I have in the past. There are some redeeming features about it, but for the most part it's the worst series up to that point.

The main thing for me though is that I don't feel comfortable having the entire crew back on board. The loneliness of Red Dwarf was a big part of the show. Not to mention the ridiculous Donut Boy joke that ruined the captain completely.

9. Kaladron

Kaladron Third Technician

I really quite like series VIII. Get rid of the multi-parters and I might even say it's better than VII. Rimmer is back full time. It has a classic series 1 vibe. Hollister is a superb supporting cast member. Ackerman is wonderful. For me, Cassandra and Krytie TV are up there with some of the best RD episodes. It's just that Pete and Back in the Red drag the whole thing down and make the series a chore to watch in its entirety.

10. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I SMEGGING HATE THE "DENIS THE DONUT BOY" REVELATION!

11. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

I don't mind it. To me, it means he worked his way up from the bottom - using a little foul play - and fears that his authority and reputation would be diminished, if people knew he started out as a mere doughnut boy.

I don't take it to mean he's a conman masquerading as the captain. I think he *did* get promoted over the years. It's like the bigshot CEO, stressing over how people see him - worrying that he's still just "John the Shelf-Stacker" if you scratch the surface.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Also, you can ignore the Doughnut Boy revelation if you watch the joined together version of Back in the Red. Although I've mixed feelings that it is better. I like a lot of BitR but I find the drags joined version drags a bit....

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

What's the explanation of why he is no longer named Denis?

14. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Any number of reasons. Maybe he changed his name to make it harder to dig up dirt on his humble beginnings. Or maybe "Dennis the Doughnut Boy" was a mascot/character. Perhaps he was the equivalent of the Milky Bar Kid, or Ronald McDonald, handing out free samples on B deck.

Whatever Dennis the Doughnut Boy entailed, I just assume it's something he's embarrassed about, rather than supposing that a literal (current) doughnut boy is pretending to be the captain.

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I don't like the concept of the nanobots in general. It allows virtual omnipotence, like the Time Drive. I don't like that Red Dwarf was destroyed, turned into a little planet, then rebuilt by nanobots, so now it's not the same ship anymore. Especially since we'd never even heard of the nanobots. In the original script, it wasn't nanobots that stole Red Dwarf, it was Talkie Toaster. Talkie Toaster was angry about his perceived mistreatment by the crew, and bored because no one ever orders toast, so he steals the ship. I would have much preferred that, rather than this tendency to forget old characters and introduce new characters all the time. It would have been great character development for the toaster to evolve into a villian, rather than being totally forgotten about in favour of nanobots that Kryten had been keeping secret for five series.

16. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Oh my. Ignorance clearly is bliss!!

I REALLY like the idea of the ship being stolen by Talking Toastie......

17. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Talkie Toaster stealing the ship would be hillarious XD

I actually think that the nano crew, including Rimmer are not the real crew resurected from the dead and created by Holly as a means to keep Lister sane (by Hollys senile logic.)

18. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Talkie Toaster stealing Red Dwarf and demanding everyone eats toasted bread products before he would return the ship would have made a very funny episode. 8)

19. mtullock

Talkie Toaster steals the Dwarf?! that would have been AMAZING! If I close my eyes and imagine hard enough I can just about make up my own series lol............... WOW Series 8 "talkie style" was great!

20. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Talkie Toaster totally should have been the one who stole Red Dwarf. Imagining a while episode with him as the villain, with the mad David Ross voice too.