Red Dwarf VIII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mtullock, Sep 16, 2016.

1. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

Yeah, definitely one of my least favourite seasons. I'm still trying to decide which season I like less, VII or VIII. At least VII had a few good episodes, and it has the Rimmer Experience (one of my all time fave scenes in the whole series). Heck I even like BTE, RDX and RDXI more than VIII.

2. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Excluding BTE, it's a tough call between VII and VIII for the worst series of Dwarf. Both contain moments I love, but also several moments that drag the name of Dwarf down into the depths. The one thing I can say positively about Series VIII, is "Back In The Red" for the most part, is great stuff. I can say that is an episode (including all 3 parts) that I've always genuinely loved. Most of the other episodes contain good moments, but also cringeworthy ones that only serves to pull back the good aspects. Overall, I probably would call VIII the worst series of Dwarf, not counting BTE.

I love the idea of Talkie Toaster being the Dwarf napper. That was a total missed opportunity, not opting for that storyline. I think that would have made Series VIII a much more satisfying experience.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I am going to be a grumble butt about series VIII because I can find almost nothing nice to say about it's entire run. Even it's highlight episode Cassandra is not very good, and is bogged down with much of what makes series VIII so horrible. People may be surprised by this but I actually think that Red Dwarf VII was actually better then X then the slimmest of margins, it's definitely a mixed bag, but it at least still feels like Red Dwarf to me....even if compromised version. Red Dwarf VIII was a different show entirely, one I find farcical and painfully unfunny. Something I don't normally say around here is that after Series VIII ended back in 1999.....I actually didn't want the show to come back, there was a time when Red Dwarf was dead to me.