Red Dwarf vs Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Angelic_Storm, Nov 17, 2012.

1. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

Legion

You'd better have a mighty damn fine explanation for what you've just done, miladdio.

I've got a body? I can touch?
    Puncture repair kit on standby, sir.

Can't even remember what a fork looks like.

Don't let a few congealed custard stains down Lister's long-johns delude you into thinking we're not sophisticates.

Wait a minute... I think I've got a way of getting out of here. Has anyone ever seen "Revenge Of The Surfboarding Killer Bikini Vampire Girls"?

I can't help it: I'm allergic to being hit.

That's not an Ionian Nerve Grip! That's smashing me over the head with a vase!

White Hole vs Justice

2. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Tough one. White hole, simple because its the one I usually choose to rewatch first :-)

Now, the two dividers of series X...

Lemons or Dear Dave

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

For me, it'd have to be Dear Dave. Lemons didn't feel right, Dear Dave, whilst not a very good episode, I think felt more like it was supposed to.

The first (unofficial) two-parter - Confidence & Paranoia or Me²?

4. mccollough

Interesting, I love Lemons, and Dear Dave breaks my heart... It got such roars of laughter from me at moments... (mainly the cat) but a lot of it was just... meh.

Anyway, Me2. Easy one for me, Love that episode, as I'm a huge rimmer fan :-)

Parallel Universe OR Kryten

5. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

Kryten. A classic start to season 2. :-)

The End VS Marooned

6. tidus13

tidus13 Third Technician

Marooned

Although I love The End I would say Marooned is probably my favourite episode.

Now two of the best episodes

Future Echoes vs Thanks for the Memory

7. mccollough

They are two fantastic, yet divisive episodes. I really struggle with that choice... they're both so good, and so clever as far as Sci fi goes. However, purely for the "Wine monologue" its going to HAVE to go to stasis leak. That monologue never fails to make me titter.

Two less popular episodes...

Pete part II or Back to Earth part II

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I didn't pay attention whilst reading. Thanks for the memory. I like the emotion.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

:?: Stasis Leak wasn't one of the options though.

Pete II for me. Although Series 8 is the weakest of the regular series IMO, it's still easily better than Back to Earth.

Dear Dave or Fathers and suns?

9. Claire_C

Claire_C Third Technician

"Fathers And Suns" for the Lister Sr / Jr scenes. Priceless. :lol:

Two Ace episodes - "Dimension Jump" or "Stoke Me A Clipper"?

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

Hmmm. Stoke Me a Clipper packs quite the emotional punch for me, but I do like Dimension Jump. Gonna have to go with Dimension Jump I think.

Justice or The Inquisitor?

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Think I'll have to go for Inquisitor. Loved the judgement scenes and Kryten's "whilst I'm talking to you now, the Inquisitor jumps me from behind like this!". Though I do like Justice and felt the Justice field was bloody excellent.

The only two from series 8 WITHOUT a continuing storyline - Cassandra or Krytie TV?

12. captainlisabeth

I found Krytie TV vaguely amusing, whereas in Cassandra I barely smiled. Re-watched season 8 last night and felt so sad afterwards. I had so hoped that over time I would have changed somewhat and been able to find it funnier but, alas, no such luck. I enjoyed BITR pts 1 and 2 though, more so than ever before.

So, Krytie TV.

Legion VS The Last Day

13. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Oo dear - I think I'd have to say The Last Day for this one, though both episodes are quite excellent - and surprisingly similar in some respects. But I do have a place in my heart for Silicon Heaven, "where do all the calculators go?" and Hudzen's HUD deciding it's okay to kill Lister, just as I like Lister's "Revenge Of The Surfboarding Killer Bikini Vampire Girls" plot. Kryten's party takes it for The Last Day though for me.

Hmm... Thanks For The Memory or Dear Dave?

14. captainlisabeth

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY. BEST EPISODE EVAR. It actually IS my favourite episode and ... ugh. It's just perfect. :lol:

Quarantine VS Gunmen

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Quarantine, I always thought that Gunmen was good but I never really though it was that spectacular. To me, it remains the most over-rated episode of Red Dwarf. Besides, who doesn't love Mr Flibble? If Ace and Dwayne get to be resurrected later, then Mr Flibble is long overdue...

So......

Demons and Angels (I think that's the weakest episode of the strongest series) or Casandra (Which I think is the strongest episode of the weakest series).

16. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

Demons and Angels - it delves into some of the psycology (or however you spell it) of the Dwarfers, showing what they could be if they were pure good/evil.

Ouroboros vs Entangled

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I quite like both, but I'll go with Entangled as it has a clever idea.

Hoping this hasn't been done before (I'm too lazy to check), two episodes about characters fighting their past:
    Beyond a Joke or The Beginning?

18. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

The Beginning.

Similar episodes, to be sure, revealing something about a characters kin and creation. Beyond a Joke, despite the big reveal being a little silly, shows great growth for Kryten. Kryten moves beyond his original design and into something far superior than the parody it was meant to be, and all the while shows a character that is what Kryten could have been: Abel, his brother. Abel couldn't handle the truth and dumbed himself down, while Kryten realized his own growth.

On the flipside, Rimmer discovers new confidence when his main feeling of resentment and fear, that who is above him, is replaced by someone new, someone who is beneath him. Rimmer doesn't feel shame in his roots, Rimmer now feels confidence in having grown beyond the low standards set. That's what both of these episodes are about: Having been set low and having raised much higher.

Both good stories, but I'm afraid this goes to The Beginning.

Now... an odd choice, but how about the only two Cat-centered episodes... or rather, the one.

WAITING FOR GOD, or IDENTITY WITHIN?

in case you don't get it.

19. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Definitely Waiting For God. That is one of my all time fave Dwarf episodes, and the premise of Identity Within I've always found a bit iffy...

Legion vs The Inquisitor

20. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm unsure whether I've answered a Legion vs Inquisitor before, but I'll do so again. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Inquisitor (it's the helmet :? ) and especially like the main premise, dark storyline and Kryten's sacrifice. "Whilst I'm talking to you now, the Inquisitor jumps me from behind like this". May watch it again tonight.

Hmm... Kryten or Ouroboros?