Red Dwarf vs Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Angelic_Storm, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

Kryten, no contest. There's not a single episode from series I-VI that could be beaten by Ouroboros, which is actually a contender for worst episode in series VII, which is already a weak series overall.

Future Echoes vs Thanks For The Memory

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I would probably have to say Future Echoes. Thanks For The Memory was a good ep where we, and the Red Dwarf crew, were "catching up" to events and was done very well, but I love the sheer originality Red Dwarf can bring to the table and Future Echoes was definitely one of them - the whole concept of the Future Echoes is done amazingly well, and it was only the second episode!

Two completely random episodes, Waiting For God or Meltdown?

3. Angelic_Storm

This is an interesting one! Both of these episodes are amongst the least liked by the fans from series I-VI, yet both are firm favourites of mine, and choosing between them is immensely difficult. Plotwise, I think Waiting For God is the stronger, there's more meat to it with the religious angle, and I love how it's an episode centred around the Cat and his race of Felis Sapiens. Meltdown is more cartoony, but very heavy in the laugh inducing department, and contains some legendary scenes. Choosing between these two episodes is like pulling teeth! :-( The scene that I think very slightly edges it in Meltdown's favour, is the scene where Rimmer has the good waxdroids lined up for inspection. His berating of Ghandi especially is just pure comedy gold. "Don't eyeball me, Ghandi! Get on the floor and give me 50! Now!" xD Both are wonderful, and highly underrated episodes... Meltdown probably just shades it by a gnat's wing, but there's not much in it!

Out Of Time vs White Hole

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Ooh - though I love the ending of Out Of Time, and the unreality bubbles, White Hole is again one of those episodes which I feel has an absolutely great premise. Not to mention the whole "so what is it?" scene. So for me, White Hole would take this one.

Now... Marooned or Me²? Only thought of Marooned because I wrote "now..." and thought of Rimmer's "now... something something something".

5. Angelic_Storm

Yipes, this is another toughie! The thing that really makes that "Now speech" is when he says it was "Brilliant, unforgettable!" lol

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Second Technician

I prefer Polymorph! :-)

Legion vs The Last Day?

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

This topic is too good not to keep going.

The Last Day for me as, whilst Legion is good, I love the concept of Silicon Heaven (where do all the calculators go?) and Hudzen's kill-vision deciding Lister is barely human and, as such, a viable target.

Hmm... Future Echoes or Tikka To Ride?

8. Angelic_Storm

Though as a whole, I do find series 7 quite weak, Tikka To Ride is definitely a high point of that series, and is for me, totally classic Dwarf. I know there are some who have expressed a dislike for it due to it's supposed plot holes and inconsistencies, but I've never understood that really. I really liked the idea of getting President Kennedy to return to the past and assassinate himself ("It'll drive the conspiracy nuts crazy, but they'll never figure it out!"), and I also loved the scene where the guiltless Kryten cooks the dead man they found earlier, which the Cat and Lister eat quite happily, believing it to be chicken. until the classic "That's not chicken sirs..." line! hehee :-)

Tikka is in my eyes, a fantastic episode. Future Echoes though, is Dwarf at it's very best. The whole plot device of the future echoes, and them being triggered by going through light speed, is absolute genius. Also, Holly giving Rimmer a Helen Shapiro sytle hairdo unbeknownst to him, is a totally classic gag, and Dwarf at it's finest. "As my father always said, shiny clean boots, and a spanking short haircut, and you can cope with anything!" "It may look ridiculous to you Lister, but I like it like this... makes me feel like a man!" And Lister's classic retort: "Yeah, and you'll probably get one, looking like that!"

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

It's been bloody ages since I've seen Balance Of Power. I really should have watched it the other night with commentary (I was watching The End and Future Echoes whilst wrapping presents).

So I'll have to say Backwards. I do remember a fair bit of Balance Of Power and, from what I recall, it does have some good moments as Lister remembers the dead crew. However, Backwards mostly takes it with the whole "is Wilma Flinstone sexy?" bit (which was copied completely for the American version, but with Rimmer discussing it, which would never happen).

Hmm... DNA or Terrorform?

10. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

DNA - It has a more realistic idea in terms of science, and unlike the Psi-moon, the curry creature is something people could be afraid of.

The End or The Beginning?

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The fourth time that this one has cropped up...

For me, I would say The Beginning, of course The End started it all and without The End there would be no Red Dwarf, but generally I think The Beginning was the funnier episode.

OK, two from the first sort of two parter, Confidence and Paranoia or Me2?

12. Angelic_Storm

Is it really the fourth time for that match-up already? It doesn't surprise me too much actually that one is such a popular choice for a face-off! I still haven't answered it though... :P

Righty then... Confidence & Paranoia, or Me2? Series I is very strong, and I love every episode from it. My choice here is Me2 though. C&P has the wonderful "Stab im" scene, and underrated scenes such as The Cat choosing to eat his lunch over helping Lister, and Rimmer practicing a particularly ludicrous version of his salute with Lister deliriously ill in his bunk are amazing. Overall though, Me2 is the stronger episode, not only plotwise, but also funnier, and more truly classic scenes. Also, it features the Norweb gag, which is arguably the best gag in the whole first series. So my choice is Me2!

Now then... Beyond A Joke vs Krytie TV?

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like both, but Beyond a Joke by far for me. But I'm a sucker for a sci-fi story.

Two gelf related episodes which are often (comparatively) least liked in the classic series (although I'm fond of them both:-(
    Camille or Psirens?

Apologies if done before. I don't think that's a bad thing though as it gives a different person a chance to vote.

14. LastTimeLord

Camille - it reveals what the Dwarfers' biggest fantasies are.

Polymorph vs Emohawk!

15. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Emohawk - ITS THE WALLLL!!!!!!

me 2 or emohawk (double rimmer verses double toenail eaters)

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

"Double toenail eaters" was Psirens. I'd go with Emohawk or Psirens regardless of which one you actually meant though.

Dimension Jump or The Beginning

17. LastTimeLord

The Beginning - IT'S JUST MIND-BLOWING EVERY TIME!

Back To Reality or Back To Earth?

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Back to Reality by a huge margin, no contest.

Psirens or Polymorph II: Emohawk?

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I would say Psirens. I love the whole spooky-ness when they're scouting the derelict and the message that was left. Plus, it's not a bad way to be introduced to Red Dwarf as a whole. Though Polymorph II does have the amusing "IT'S THE WALL!" moment, Psirens has the "I'm almost annoyed." bit which makes me chuckle every time.

Better Than Life or Back To Reality?

20. LastTimeLord

Better Than Life -"This isn't my fantasy!" "No. It's mine!"

Timeslides vs Cassandra