red dwarf x what do you think?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by listerrr, Oct 11, 2012.

1. listerrr

listerrr Skutter

For me, I love it. Probably gonna start an argument but so far its one of the best for me, it goes back to the good old seasons.
    Let me know your thoughts

2. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

This has been discussed in SEVERAL threads. While I do like the idea of having a single thread for overall discussion, I don't think it's necessary.

At any rate, It's good. very good. Classic.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I disagree that it's back to the old series. I don't mean in terms of quality mind, more tonally. And I'm not saying it's the same as seven and eight either, although I found those two as different from each other as the previous series. It would possibly be a bit of a mixture of them all, but I think it has a feel all of it's own.

that's not necessarily a bad thing though. It's still close enough and so far it's been pretty good all in all.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its very much a mixed bad for me

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I've heard it described as 'Series 8 done right'...I think this is sort of right...except I didn't get into Red Dwarf because it was a show like Series 8: that humour and style is too broad for me and not hwy I loved the show.

Another way I'd describe it is "Dwarf Adder".

It has its own feel. Of the two episodes I've watched my criticisms would be that its too fast and frenetic and far too overacted (I don't want to say pantomimy yet but there is too much emphasis on playing to the crowd) with Chris Barrie being the main culprit. It feels VERY busy...ironically busier than series 8 with all its cast members. The jokes just seem to come at a non-stop rate and there isn't enough time left for them to settle let alone for reflection or exposition.

I just want it to SLOW DOWN and take its time.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It's been an odd mix of love and hate for me so far. The first 2 episodes have been incredibly uneven.....I do hope the new series finds it's footing soon.

7. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

:x None of your business

8. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I love it but it is very flawed, but chocolate rots your teeth and makes you fat, and I love that too. Flaws can't ruin greatness only detract a little from it. Hey, other than series 3-5, nothing on earth is perfect... Except hoholinger jones ;-)

9. danatblair

danatblair Third Technician

Nothing yet that would make me regret the season pass or hesitate to get the next one if given the opportunity.

10. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

I loved both of them. Great to see it in fine for as per season 6. For me the father son Lister interaction was pure brilliance that would make even Douglas Adams proud. I'm such a fan I flew from Australia to meet the cast for the season 5 voice over. CC was ill but I'd do it again. I love the show and so happy its back as it should be!

11. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

RDX for me is excitement.

1) It's new - I am really pleased to be able to see red dwarf get a new lease of life in 2012. This is a huge achievement for the team. Thank you DAVE!
    2) It has reverted to my preferred set up of having an all lads crew only.
    3) The direction of the show appears to be trying to recapture a balance between story and humor. It's still a bit rough around the edges but mostly enjoyable.
    4) Character development - I really disliked the storyline of Lister being his own father but was quite impressed with how the story was handled in F&S.
    5) I am looking forward to the next episode which is something didn't always feel after series 6.

Overall, I feel RDX isn't perfect but has enough substance to make me feel happy that The RED is back.

12. ListerDavid

ListerDavid Skutter

Red Dwarf X is Superb!!!

13. SuperHorse

SuperHorse Skutter

I just think it's been pretty much terrible so far, I'd have to really lower my expectations to like this.

The biggest problem I have with it is that it's almost never funny. I can see the resulting punchline for most jokes well before the lead up is halfway through. Where's the acid? Where's the brutal, merciless, unpredictable cut throat humour? In episode one we're left with this running gag about how crap call line services are. It lasts the entire episode and is never funny at any point. Sort of reminds me of an American sitcom where nothing funny ever really happens (Friends?) but we're dutifully required to laugh along anyway because, well y'know, it's Friends.

Worse yet it also messes Lister up as the character we know. At one point in desperation for getting through to this call centre, he dives for the phone (after being threatened not to with a gun), risking everyone's lives and in fact he winds up getting Rimmers brother killed. Again UTTERLY out of character. Lister is a bum, a lazy slop, an underachiever. But he's also a good person, a man of moral values. He would never endanger a persons life over something so trivial, hell, he doesn't even like to kill. But nope, here he does and afterwards Rimmer and Lister barely mention it again and apparently have no issue with the fact he winded up getting someone (his brother) killed. Where's the depth akin to when Rimmer finds out his father has died?

You see humour works best in context to a situation and the surrounding world but it has to be believable. You can only push the boundaries so far and then that's it.

For instance in the episode Legion, when they're trying to use the anti matter chop sticks - this is predominantly funny not just because of the physicality but because they are trying to impress Legion and don't want to admit that they can't use them. Hence when it quickly turns into a disaster it's hilarious. Of course not every scene can be that good regardless of the series. It isn't fair to compare the average gag or running gag to a scene like that. But the point is the new series isn't even in the ballpark approaching something of that quality. I don't think it's possible here.

I feel things got worse in the last episode 'Lemmons' where it jumped the shark entirely. There was nothing plausible about it at all. There IS something plausible about a Haddock that commits suicide when explained in context to the world and specific situation of how it happened, therefore it's funny. But there's nothing plausible about them deciding to walk from Britain to the middle east (apparently unharmed and without incident) where upon they meet the English speaking natives. At this point it may as well be a cartoon. It's no longer believable.

I want Red Dwarf back as much as anyone and I'm not saying that there's nothing good about the latest episodes at all. There has been the odd reasonable joke and it's obvious the actors are doing their best. Humour is a delicate balance that never comes easy. But IMO, as it is, this is still nowhere near acceptable quality. Maybe as it goes on it'll improve though.

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Very poor. 1 good episode that felt like proper Red Dwarf followed by a rubbish episode & then an even worse one!!!

RIP Red Dwarf. :-(

15. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

So far, I have really mixed emotions about it... is it as good as the first 6 series? In my opinion, absolutely not. However, considering how far Red Dwarf declined after a decent start to series 7, X is definitely a step back in the right direction. Whilst none of the new episodes are without flaws, there are moments in every episode that actually do feel like classic Dwarf, and that is something I never expected to say about any new episodes of the series ever again. I went into watching these episodes with very low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far of series X. Though I can see how anyone expecting the new episodes to be of the calibre of the finest RD episodes would be very disappointed with them.

The best way of summing up how I feel about the new episodes, is yes, there have been much better episodes in the Dwarf canon, but there have also been a lot worse ones.

16. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I think its an improvement on Series 8. I tried to watch it yesterday and I just switched it off after 10 mins.

I really like this series so far and look forward to future series'.

17. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

It,s a great free 1/2 hour entrainment! Would pay for if it. If it was offered!
    Will buy dvd if it becomes available!

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My feelings are mixed at the halfway mark. Fathers and Suns is now my all-time fourth favourite episode of Red Dwarf, but it was the only show I've really enjoyed so far. I thought the other two were decent but underwhelming. At least if the rest of the series is rubbish I've still got Fathers and Suns to treasure.

The brief bits I've seen of episode 4 though seem promising.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Having dysentery is an improvement over series 8!!! :roll:

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It amuses me.....while I agree it still seems odd given you didn't watch most of series 8