red dwarf x what do you think?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by listerrr, Oct 11, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

HEY! simmy hasn't been to the moon either but doesnt mean he can't hate it :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Don't derail this thread and turn it into a discussion about simulant37.

3. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

Just a quick question, but am I the only person left wondering exactly what universe the Red Dwarf crew have found themselves in this series? I thought they were meant to be cut off in deep space in a human free distant future, so how are they receiving new showers, receiving and responding to ads for stirmasters, and who exactly was Rimmer going to trade with on ebay?

4. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

It certainly feels much more populated than in days of yore. It would be interesting to watch an episode with no guest stars like the old days.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The shopping network was run by droids*. (That's actually stated in the episode.) I'm not clear whether or not the character we see on screen demonstrating the gadgets are computer simulations or very human-like androids (could this be our first view of the 3000 series, mentioned in Out of Time?) or recorded footage of human beings taken millions of years ago, but that doesn't really matter. Point is, it's automated by robots.

As for the rejuvenation shower, I think that was just something Kryten found on the ship. Or was it a derelict? I think my attention wavered during that scene. Not from any dislike of the episode. I can like a story fine, but find myself thinking about something - probably something that's just happened story related - and end up missing what's currently happening! Multitasking is not my strong point.

*Interesting that Red Dwarf still freely uses that word despite it being trademarked by George Lucas. ;-)

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I don't "hate" the moon. Pathetic thing to say, how could one hate it. Without it we would be doomed!!!!!!

I have tried t watch series 8 TWICE! Could not do it! I have seen various horrible snippets over the years & everything about the concept (return of Red Dwarf crew, prison level etc) is horrible!!! :x

7. simulant37

The ebay thing bothered me. Another reason the episode was terrible. :roll:

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Red Dwarf X has, so far, been a bit hit-and-miss for me.

I loved Trojan. LOVED IT. Better than some of series 1-6. It managed to fit in a lot, but still had time for some good jokes (loved the whole moose stuff, the call-centre stuff wasn't bad either). Absolutely brilliant. Well plotted and tight script (though not as tight as some of series 1-6). If I were to rate it out of 10, it would be a good 8.

Fathers And Suns (or Queeg 2.0), however, was more of a mess. I hated the "Lister is his own dad" plot in series 7 and, whilst it would probably need to be addressed at some point and this was probably the best way to do it, I still hate it. Pree - I know she's a computer, but the delivery of her lines (especially when predicting conversations) could have been a lot more lively. Imagine Kryten or Hattie's Holly delivering the same lines - infinitely more entertaining. The laughing gas bit, and the bizarre deus-ex-machina that they saved themselves, were good. I'd give it a 5, though better than the majority of series 7 and 8.

Lemons didn't really focus on the lemons. Maybe should have been called Jesus. But, in any case, didn't think that much of this episode either. It focussed on plot, and seemingly everything else was "going through the motions". I can believe the plot - this is Red Dwarf, remember - we've had ones that make less sense - but, IIRC, very little in the way of jokes (will have to watch it again sometime, along with the others). I'd give it a 5 or 6. Basically, it would be if an episode like Meltdown were done in series 8.

Red Dwarf X does show promise, and I find it interesting that people like and hate different episodes. The models - I like that they're using models, but maybe the whole HD-ness makes them seem too plastic. The new sets do look nice, as does the HD, but I think it'll take time to get used to them. What jokes they do have are typical Dwarf (again, loved the whole "moose" conversation - reminiscent of the Flinstones conversation at the beginning of series 3, used to try to ease people into a new series?) and the plots good (apart from Lister being his own father/son, but I guess that did need addressing at some point and helped the Pree plot along). I only hope the whole Kryten/Cat thing in the next episode is better than it looks from the trailer, and we can go from there. Where one othe person said "at least we'll have Fathers & Suns", I'll take the same line for myself (and again, this doesn't apply to everyone) and replace it with Trojan.

9. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Personally I dont care, but insofar as I try to justify this sort of thing. (Its been happening since series 2 and the discovery of Kryten) I consider it like this:

Journeys through interstellar space will use certain routes just like cars and planes do. If Red Dwarf was on such an "interstellar highway" when Holly ejected her into deep space the ship would likely contine on that same established trajectory until turning around and heading back along the same path, sometime in series 1.

Any disaster which befell other ships travelling along this highway in the intervening 3 million years (bear in mind Holly's running hypothesis is that the human race is extinct through a self inflicted apocalypse. So lots of disasters and maybe refugees.) would send them hurtling after Red Dwarf at ever increasing rates of accellaration as technology improves.

Now that Red warf is heading in the opposite direction it makes sense that they encounter this flotsam with increasing regularity.

10. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Oh, and on the whole I am enjoying the new series.

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

No you're not. You're not allowed.

In any case, I agree with what you wrote. Red Dwarf has been encountering humanity's remnants, to differing degrees, for ages now. We've had...

Kryten (as mentioned)
    Better Than Life (if the post-pod counts)
    Polymorph (and in fact any Gelf or Simulant encounter)
    Last Day
    Meltdown (the transporter had a limited range and they found a colossal wax-droid theme park)
    Camille
    Justice (not only a Simulant but a space station)
    DNA
    Holoship
    Quarantine
    Back To Reality
    Psirens
    Legion
    Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
    Polymorph 2 - Emohawk
    Rimmerworld
    Out Of Time (yep, the entirety of series 6)
    Tikka To Ride
    Ouroboros
    Beyond A Joke
    Epideme
    Cassandra
    Pete 1&2
    Only The Good

(note - I haven't included Ace's appearances as he's from another dimension and can "hop" anywhere, or Inquisitor as he can "hop" anywhere too. Just liked those accursed Seventh Day Advent Hoppists)

But, basically, Red Dwarf has encountered the leftovers of humanity for quite some time. I believe the "Droid Shopping Channel" was just transmitted by droids in the area using recordings of humans. Rimmer's eBay remark - well, why not? After all, in Meltdown, he didn't want Lister to burn his money despite the fact that the money would have no value in the universe any more. And whilst Howard's appearance was a tad strange (the only thing that bothers me is what he's still doing around, albeit as a hologram, three million years later, but maybe the quantum rod moves things through time too, or did that bit by accident), none of the above spoilt the episode at all.

12. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I haven't said I didn't watch most of series 8 - I have it on DVD, yet, I don't like it. Its inane and unfunny.

13. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

1-- Sarcasm, Simmy. Can you never detect it?

2-- Regardless, You cannot judge series 8, you can only judge the episodes you SAW and the snippets you SAW. Judging particular moments and episodes you saw? Fine. Do it as much as you want. You just aren't being fair by calling the entire series bad.

14. ghastly98

He was referring to Simulant37.

15. simulant37

Who said I had to be fair? I tried watching the series twice, it was so awful I couldn't stomach any more! IT IS HORRIBLE!!!!! :twisted:

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Except of course that the ones he didn't see are WORSE than the ones he did see! :shock:

I don't think we should encourage him to watch Pete Part 2 or the backfire on his negadrive could potentially kill us all!

17. ghastly98

Perhaps if we surround him with reinforced titanium, the blast couldn't reach us! :eek:

18. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

The second half of Series VIII was the worst RD has ever got. Krytie TV, Pete 1 & 2 - SHUDDER.

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Except I wouldn't wanna wish the horrors of late Series VIII on anyone, not even Simmy. One of us deserves to live in blissful ignorance of Pete part 2, possibly some of the worst "comedy" committed to television.

20. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I'm really enjoying X so far.

Yes it's not perfect (those smegging vending machines are doing my nut in) but I wasn't expecting it to be...There was a certain level of magic in the classic episodes, and I don't think that can be recaptured in quite the same way ever again, no matter how good the new episodes will be.

Additionally, there will always be a lot of people left either unmoved or annoyed by the new episodes - Red Dwarf has been off the air for so long that I think we've all had a little too much time to solidify what the show means to us in our heads...It's set like concrete in some people's heads I'd imagine. There's a bit of give and take here while we find a new balance between our ideal of Red Dwarf, and what we're actually getting.

Personally, I'm very happy...I like having a set show every week rather than a continuous arc from one to the next. I do also like some subtle story arcs and pathos through the show, so I'm very happy with the overall balance :-)

Hope that makes sense, lol!