RDXI Red Dwarf XI dvd

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Ant the Dragon, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Wow, what a disappointment. Probably the worst DVD since Red Dwarf 2!!!

The behind the scenes film was really poor. Not very interesting - cannot believe the lack of behind the scenes for the effects - truly woeful!

I think I would even put the "Doug Naylor Interview" from the Red Dwarf 2 DVD higher than this.

And as for the Smeg Up's - I can remember at least six from Twentika alone that didn't even make it.
    And yet again NO AUDIO COMMENTARY.
    Shame that such a good series got such a rubbish DVD.

Shameful.

2/10

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was partly due to the lack of features, especially commentaries, that I haven't bothered buying it yet, which is unusual for me as I usually purchase the DVDs the moment they become available. It's a shame that the more recent DVDs have been very poor compared to the ones for the first eight seasons.

3. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

The quantity (and quality) of extras on the first eights DVDs is awesome. Also loved the little booklets that came with them as well. Fair enough the BBC aren't involved in putting the DVDs together any more, I still don't get why we can't get cast commentaries. I mean even Back To Earth still had them.

4. Ant the Dragon

Indeed! I just can't believe they didn't even do a commentary with Doug (which I found more interesting than the cast ones or back to earth and bodysnatcher)!

Not impressed I'm afraid

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Call me crazy, but I actually bought the DVD for the episodes this time. I admit that with X the main attraction for me was 'We're Smegged'. It was a great documentary, but to be honest, I'm just glad that things ran more smoothly this time (clearly to the massive benefit of the episodes themselves - I'd definitely take those above a more dramatic documentary).

I suppose we were all spoiled by the exhaustive content in the earlier DVDs, but the way things are going with DVD releases these days we're lucky to get the extra content at all. I'm not going to moan about it - though I will say that the theme music playing on repeat on the initial menu is a tad annoying!

6. GARNER2015

GARNER2015 Third Technician

I actually found the Behind the scenes feature quite interesting, not as good as previous ones but still good. The rest of the features were pretty standard; the smeg-ups were great as usual. The things that really got me to dislike this release was the alternative cover didn't have the logo centred properly (Not really a big deal tbh) and the menus were utterly disappointing. Hardly animated and uninteresting. Very poor standards compared to EVERY other previous release.

7. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

My DVD arrived in the mail today. I was bummed to open it and find no trading cards!:x hahaha

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I have yet to buy the DVD because I wasn't all that inpressed by series XI so I ain't really in any rush to get It.

9. Ant the Dragon

You'll be disappointed (by the extras anyway)

10. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I found the Behind the scenes feature quite good but everything else was a bit lightweight.

I'm not at all surprised that they hadn't included any episode commentary, bearing in mind how soon DVD's are released after being recorded and aired on TV. You must remember that all previous DVD's the extras were added years after the series was made.

It would be better in my opinion to have the DVD's released months after the series airs on TV providing plenty time to put together a more comprehensive 'extras' dvd rather than just scraping up a few bits of cutting room floor bits and throwing them on DVD2. A bit more planning of DVD2 material in its own right while filming would make a big difference.

11. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

It's a bit disappointing. The making of feature was okay, but I suppose the production of series XI simply wasn't as eventful as that of series X. But I'd happily have waited a few more weeks for something more interesting. The little videos of CGI effects and model shots were pointless. A featurette could probably have been made about those, but instead we got nothing very interesting. I'll probably get round to watching the smeg-ups at some point, but I'm one of those rare people (am I the only one?) who gets bored of the smeg-ups very quickly. I've never understood why they've become so treasured a tradition.

I suppose we have to accept we were spoilt with the series X We're Smegged documentary, and we can't expect something like that on every release. Perhaps we've been spoilt with the quality of episodes this series instead, and that's more important. And watching the whole lot today, it is a good series, with several stand-out moments.

And YAY! I've got a steelbook with the wrong episode titles on the sleeve!

EDIT Has anyone attempted to get a replacement steelbook sleeve using the email address on the forum update? All I got was a useless automated response.:?

12. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

Same here. Still waiting for a proper response from them. I sent a photograph as evidence as well just in case they asked for it.

13. Sammy Psycho

I only got as far as seeing it was just an empty email reply where I had to type out why I was contacting them, didn't have time to do this today so thought I would do it later when time permitted.

14. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I enjoyed the Behind the Scenes feature but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad underwhelmed by the over-all package. But only really in comparison to what we've become used to over the years. And lets face it, we've had it much better than fans of most shows, especially British sitcoms. Also, as others have mentioned, the quality of extras are still reasonable compared to most DVD extras nowadays.

However, I'm not sure the powers that be should necessarily be using the general trends as a guide. I mean, it could perhaps be argued that good quality dvd extras should be considered (by those in the dvd industry) as more important now than ever before. I'm not suggesting that maintaining decent extras will stop dvds and other physical formats from inevitably becoming extinct, but it could perhaps help keep them alive for at least a bit longer. Then again I don't work in said industry and may be overlooking numerous components involved.

But yeah, it's unfortunate that the series XI menus are a bit...meh in comparison to what came previously. And I was a bit surprised that we don't hear more from Doug during the Behind the scenes feature, especially since there are no commentaries. But I enjoyed it nonetheless, and hopefully Doug's suggestive comment on twitter about having a solution to the lack of commentaries will come to some fruition. I for one wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for commentaries from Doug and, ideally, a separate cast commentary.

15. Sammy Psycho

Blu-ray DVD's can support online content which I have a few of these already (mostly films). Content can be added this way and possibly that is what Doug may be aiming at. I don't know if this is possible on the RDXI disk as I think the online content link would need to be in the disk menu already. The other possibility would be when the RDXII dvd is released it could have a bumper filled extras disk for the overall two series, although I don't know how that could address the RDXI commentaries.

I hope Doug's suggestive comment is a good one. :-)

16. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I got mine on Friday - steelbook with wrong titles :-D

A lot of swearing in the documentary, more than usual but it did get bleeped out :-)

Smeg Ups - only about 5 and a half minutes I think. Either they're getting very good at doing it right first time or they don't cock it up in amusing ways any more. Wot no Kenneth Williams impression?

Deleted Scenes - There were a couple of gems in there, in particular the first one on Starbug from Twentica. I thought it was really funny, classic Dwarf humour; it's a shame that it was lost, presumably to time constraints.

17. reaktor24

reaktor24 Third Technician

I've emailed the BBC again as I still haven't heard back from them. Anyone else heard anything yet?

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks for the reminder. I just e-mailed and got an automatic reply:

I guess everyone gets this. I don't see how this information is helpful or relevant. Do we sit and wait for them, or are we to glean from this some way forward that we are to take? The first e-mail address perhaps. Oh the joys of the electronic age :roll:

19. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I've heard back from them now, so I suppose you all will in time. They requested proof of purchase such as a receipt, and photographic evidence, in order to send a new slipcase. I bought mine from amazon, and I deleted the emails once it had arrived and I'd checked the disks, as I always do. I like my emails tidy. So I'm not sure I can provide proof. I have to ask myself how important it is. The slipcase in which the steelbook came is an odd sort of Red Dwarf history, containing a list of early working titles for series XII accidentally released. I might just slip a scrap of paper in the slipcase with the correct titles on it as a reminder, and keep the whole think in its imperfect glory.

20. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

everything you ordered on amazon will be in your history on the site.