Red Dwarf XI Episode 5 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Anyone heard any rumours about this episode yet? Will try to go to this filming!

2. jedshepherd

the board is currently being spammed, so dont want proper discussion on this going missing!

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The new issue of SFX is out today and has a mini article on red dwarf XI

[​IMG]

Here are the highlights:

-

Doug Naylor on the reason we are getting 2 series back to back

-

Doug Naylor on whether the new series will have a Story arc

-

Doug Naylor on whether there are any dangling plot threats from Series X

-

Doug Naylor on whether the Rimmers father revelation has changed the character

4. jedshepherd

brilliant post Talkie Toaster!

Mostly self-contained episodes: Its a shame they couldnt do it logistically, but I dont mind 'monster of the week' episodes at all.

Not pandering to die hards: This is exactly the right thing to do. Im really pleased he said that as I was worried it would be too in-jokey and alienate.

Thanks for posting this!

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What i found interesting is that they are deciding later on which 6 of the 12 episodes will go in each series

6. jedshepherd

that is really interesting. Some of my fave X-Files episodes are standalones (In fact I'd say all of my fave x-Files episodes are!).

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well that answers the reasoning behind why there's 2 new series' instead of one.

8. Slainmonkey

I guess it all depends on if Doug feels if shifting the order would aid the pace of the seasons

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Interesting article highlights.

It's good to know Doug is aware of the potential problems of only appealing to die-hard fans. But then I've always got the impression he was aware of that. When there have been throw backs or continuity arks in the past it's always been done in a way that also works in a stand-alone sense. Well, Dibbly family aside perhaps. That was a bit unnecessary and is the only thing I can personally think of that seems a bit forced. And before anyone says it - I disagree! I think Emohawk is just about perfect and was well justified...So there! :P

It's also good to hear Rimmer wont be affected by the stuff we learned in The Beginning. But then I wasn't really expecting him too. I would find it quite odd if he did as Rimmer is very 'conservative' when it comes to his lack of personal progressive change. I would say that's also true of the other characters to a certain degree, but especially so with Rimmer.

Although with that said I do think Rimmer and Lister have mellowed a bit so far as
    their ongoing conflicts...but perhaps these new episodes will prove me wrong about that. I do hope so! :-)

I think Cat is probably the character that has grown the most, but that makes more sense as he had originally been alone for a long time and had no contact with humans (or indeed holograms and mechanoids). But then he seems to have reverted to his old ways somewhat in series X, which definitely proved to be good for the show. Cat was great in series X! :-)

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well Series 4 and 5 used the same sets with only really costume changes between series

11. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Very interesting indeed that they aren't necessarily filming in order of broadcast, suggests all 12 are self contained and there will be no cliff hanger between XI and XII and the door will be left open for more Dwarf afterwards.

Also suggests no new characters will be introduced/return on any full time basis. Thanks very much for posting Talkie Toaster.

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's worth pointing out that due to lead times and such, that interview will likely have taken place before filming started. It could well be that before production began they didn't know which would be in which, but by the time production began they may well have settled on it.

Without any insider knowledge, I hasten to add, I personally believe that everything shot this year will be XI, and everything next will be XII. But it's very possible that broadcast order will differ from production order, as it did on every previous series apart from X!

13. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Doctor Who is slightly putting me off the idea of 2-parters in any show that I watch and I am glad that Red Dwarf is doing standlone episodes and not doing fan service to a huge degree. They need to think of the wider audience.

Most of mine are standalones except for Sein und Zeit/Closure in season 7.

14. Slainmonkey

And series 8 of Red Dwarf didn't put you of the idea of 2-parter (or 3-parters)?

15. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

You just had to go there...

16. Slainmonkey

It seemed relevant in the moment.

17. jedshepherd

so who is going to try to get standby tickets this week?

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

According to Robert on his latest periscope video series XI will be broadcast in September 2016 and series XII will be broadcast in January 2017

19. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

That's very close together. I would have thought Dave would have waited a bit longer before showing XII. Then again, are these Robert's educated guesses or would the cast already know when the show was going to be transmitted?

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Robert said they spoke to UKTV last night and they were told it was September 2016 and January 2017

Since series 12 will have been already filmed made for almost a year at that point so its probably not surprising they would show it around that time