Red Dwarf XI Episode 5 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I'm really glad we got given these dates. Helps me plan the podcast better!

2. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

...yeah, but before you plan around this, bear in mind this is just Robert, nothing official has been announced!

I think it's odd they'd want to show them all in such a short space of time. The fact they would have been filmed a year prior is irrelevant really, post production takes months. I'd have thought they'd want to spread them out a bit more and make the most of them tbh. *shrug*

3. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

It is a little closer together than I would have guessed, almost like a split series. I didn't think there would be a years gap inbetween but I thought it would be more Autumn-Spring, say Sept-Oct and March-Apr.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

But robert was told by UKTV

Although he does say "september-ish" and "january-ish" so make of that what you will

I believe it happens with movies that are filmed back to back also

Well they will have at least 6 months for post production before XI and then another 3 months so i imagine that would be enough time

5. jedshepherd

Being involved with a certain film frachise myself, i know a very big pro with filming back to back and then releasing them in a short space of time is... momentum. The momentum from Series XI will still be high when XII hits. If its too long then it may lull. Hopefully audiences grow with every episode of XI and then keep going with XII as there hasn't been too much time for the hype to die down.

And then they can start planning XIII and XIV!

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Thats probably what it is

Its good for the Series to have momentum for many reasons even though i wouldn't say its necessarily for another series after 12 since the cast are still getting older and at some point its gonna start to get silly to keep the show young if the cast are needing more and more make up every year

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It's a shorter gap then our wait for series x after it was shot!

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yes. That's how TV works.

10. Jo TORDFC

This is their biggest show though, so why spend all that effort getting the cast in one place, getting the scripts sorted etc. and then rush out the results within 5 months? You'd think they'd want to make the most of it. The momentum of RD fandom is going nowhere, it's not going to lull - the gap between RDX and RDXII is going to be 4 years. The gap between BTE and RDX was 3 1/2 years. The gap between VIII and BTE was 10 years. Momentum isn't an issue. With TV it is actually incredibly unlikely that the audience will grow with each episode. In general viewing figures start high for the first episode and then tend to level out at a lower figure... or sometimes even reduce for every episode.

Assuming XIII and XIV happen, it would be better to go into production before XII goes out, it'd give Doug more time to write new scripts (a process that nobody wants to be rushed), the production time to wrangle contracts, and there'd be a more regular airing schedule, towards the end of each year, from 2016.

I'm sure we'll hear something official next year anyway, honestly though I'd be disappointed if they did put the airing dates so close together, it'd be more like a mid-season break than 2 separate series.

11. Jo TORDFC

I don't know this for sure, but my guess is that it's to do with summer. Summer is pretty barren in terms of new series starting I've noticed, presumably because people (traditionally) are more likely to be out and about in the sun or on holiday rather than watching TV. I know all my shows started up Sept/October time and after hunting for shows to watch/rewatch in the summer months, I was suddenly swamped with too many shows and not enough time to watch them in.

12. jedshepherd

Its not the Red Dwarf fans that will lull, its the other part of the audience which likely makes up the majority. They need to keep the casual viewer interested in the property, so can't chance having too long of a break or it won't be fresh.

Of course this is just speculation on all our parts and might just be throwaway comments from Robert!

It is surprising though, but perhaps they have something unannounced up their sleeves.

13. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

They've kept things very hush hush for this episode, no spoilers/teasers have come out at all so far.

14. jedshepherd

perhaps theyve been told to be a little less trigger happy on social networks!

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Keeping the momentum of Series XI is actually a good thing

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I've heard this episode is going to feature the return of Norman Lovett. As a hilarious joke though, he'll be facing away from the camera the entire time, as well as being bound and gagged.

On a related note, I've also heard that Kryten "gets his groinal socket on".

Also on a related note, the cast and crew have prepared for this by mysteriously ordering large quantities of vomit bags for the audience.

17. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Are you quite absolutely sure this wasn't a weird dream?

18. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Wish I had a ticket.

19. jedshepherd

get a standby Pembers!

20. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Oh I've I got a standby Jed, a stonking one.

Silent Assassin, I was just kidding, I actually went last week, it was the one with the Kill Crazy/Holly/Kochanski love triangle.