Red Dwarf XI Episode 5 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jedshepherd, Dec 7, 2015.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

My fear about past referencing is that its just a way of saying hey look we will mention this classic episode and that classic episode because doug may not have faith that the current episode isn't as good as those episodes

2. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

there were at least 5 or 6 direct references to past episodes in this one.

3. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

References to past episodes are not something new, even in the "classic" days they would occasionally refer back to previous episodes. It doesn't really bother me as long as Doug isn't just rehashing ideas, which from the episode I've seen he isn't.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

5. jedshepherd

reading around on the various set reports and social media, this episode seems like the most well received so far (based on people who saw multiple episodes). It was certainly better that episode 3.

Also the talk of Craig being "difficult" is wildly inaccurate. He had a taxi waiting for him to go to Leicester for a gig and the filming overran an hour so you can imagine his frustration. I thought he was on very good form, and his in-between take stuff was really funny.

6. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It certainly sounds promising as the people who have seen the other episodes apart from 5 reckon they are better and more tightly written than series 10. So if this episode 5 is even better again then it sounds hopeful.

8. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

I really don't recall "5 or 6" direct references to past series. Three certainly.

9. jedshepherd

I could write them all here, but it would be a little spoilery :-)

10. Carrie TORDFC

Or you could email me?

11. jedshepherd

You're welcome to email me with any questions Carrie.

12. Carrie TORDFC

Sorry I thought it was obvious before. I'm not entirely convinced there's more than three back references. Obviously posting them here contravenes spoiler policy but you could email me the references to correct me?

13. jedshepherd

No apologies needed Carrie. If you have an issue with something I've said, you can just email me and I'll be happy to give you some answers. I'm out tonight but will get around to it in the morning.

14. Carrie TORDFC

...which I'll take to mean "I'm not quite sure of the 5 or 6 I stated there was."

When consulting others who attended, we could only think of three back references max - and one was so brief that Alex forgot about it! Of course, I could be wrong and would genuinely want to be corrected - after all, it was a very long night and we were all tired by the end! But seeing as other posters are taking your reference count and quite rightly thinking that Doug might be focusing a little too much on back referencing, it had to said.

15. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Disappointing reading that it sounds like there isn't going to be any notion of a story arc. Really hoped that having 2 series would allow some movement of the Kochanski storyline.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Who's to say their isn't? Episode 6 appentently has a mystery ending that was to be shot after the audience recording so even people who attended don't know what it's going to be, also people are kinda on strict requests to spoil as little as possible.

17. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

I was simply going off Doug's quotes SFX magazine quotes in page 1 of this thread which i found extremely dispiriting.

Hopefully there's something substantial to the mystery ending.

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well all that really means is there isn't a season or 2 long story ark and most of the episodes are stand alones. Besides what does it really matter if we get a collection of good episodes?

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

If only that were true. If only it were true of any of the characters in what has become a very poor imitation of RD.