Red Dwarf XI episode one buzz

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Nov 14, 2015.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

There's a set report on Gazpacho Soup which is again very positive about the writing and comedy. I'm so excited for this new series, more so than I was with Series X I think.

Clicktackular!

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I know nobody can really trust anything I say because you assume I have to toe a party line, and in a sense you'd be correct (if I didn't like something, I'd keep my mouth shut, basically).

But I really, really loved last night's episode. I think it's the equal, if not the better, of everything in X with the exception of The Beginning. Trojan was a fantastic opening recording last time around: this one was better.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Will you be going to all the recordings Seb?

5. AlexVS

AlexVS Third Technician

I'd echo exactly what Seb said; it's easily equal to, if not better than everything in Series X aside from The Beginning. As I said in the set report, compared to say Trojan, the acting and writing felt far more consistent from start to finish, and came out the gates with good gags. There were at least 5 big woofers.

6. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

See this is all great news and all but it makes me even more desperate to see it. :-( I really can't wait.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Now if I asked in a non spoiler way - is it a character-centric episode what would the answer be?!?

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I actually hope it's a little better then the beginning as a few gags in it fell flat for me, like the look out the window gag which felt like it was trying to be like the red alert gag from series 6 but not half as clever

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well this is all based off an opinion, I think what likely puts The Begining on as big a pedestal for so many was that it was an episode with a lot of BIG events....and that most of it was taken from parts of one of the Red Dwarf movie drafts. I agree it was an episodes with some issues, but I feel I do see why people put it above even a lot of the classic episodes.

Honestly I'm just glad it doesn't sound like it opens on a episode with as painfully a stupid subplot as having the characters on hold on a bloody phone!

10. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Im so excited. Im trying to avoid even non-spoilery set reports as I want to go in blind (I just skim read this topic just in case). The fact there is a general positive vibe coming from all corners, is very exciting indeed.

11. Slainmonkey

You clearly have better self control then I, I know not going to do anything but gobble up any bits and bobs of info I can find before it airs.....I pretty much did the same thing before series X aired.

12. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Im REALLY trying, but it IS very tempting!

13. Slainmonkey

I wish you luck, but I'm not even gonna try I think....Ether way I'll just end up gouging myself on Red Dwarf spoilery goodness.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I too did this for series X - including watching all of the trailers. Unfortunately, this spoiled a good portion of series X for me. It seemed sometimes that I'd already seen about a third of some episodes already. This time I'm going to try to go into it blind without having a clue what's going to happen. It's a much more rewarding experience that way - as I've found through going into the last two James Bond films completely unspoiled. I just hope I can resist watching the series XI trailers next year - though I know it's going to be very difficult.

15. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I used to love spoilers when I was younger, particularly around the time of the Star Wars prequels (urgh!!), but now I appreciate going into movies and TV shows blind and experiencing it all fresh and enjoying the surprises.

I do like little teasers and I think the likes of G&T's set reports last time, and Alex's report on Gazpacho Soup, are just enough to wet my appetite (along with the little teasers we get on Twitter from the cast and Doug). So far, I haven't seen any proper spoilers for the first audience filming so hopefully the audiences this time will be just as respectful as they were for Series X.

16. simulant37

Where the hell did you come from?

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What do you mean by this post, simulant?

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I'd probably be abit more excited about the good word of mouth if it wasn't for the fact i was excited by the good word of mouth last time for series X that the set reports gave it back in 2012

and while i thought X was an improvement it for me still has some issues

I don't mind small spoilers though, at least closer to the time anyway

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Such a warm welcome. And to think you bemoan the lack of newcomers and wonder why they often don't stick around. :roll:

20. simulant37

Maybe, but someone who joined the forum on 19 Feb 2012 isn't really a newcomer...if you please