Red Dwarf XI episode one buzz

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Sim, I know the feeling ain't mutual, but I do like you. But posts like this make you sound like a bit of a toss pot!

Anyway, who saw the filming? Really wanna know non spoilery thoughts on the new Starbug set!!! :-)

2. AlexVS

AlexVS Third Technician

Well I've been around a fair while longer than that, but I changed to a new account back then. I tend to lurk occasionally on here but I don't post that often. Between the Fan Club, Gazpacho Soup, The Garbage Podcast and indeed being married to another TORDFC team member, I tend to be busy enough with Red Dwarf related things that I don't tend to spend a lot of time on this forum or others like G&T's. The day after the first recording of a new series of the show however is a fairly interesting time to keep an eye on this forum along with any other Red Dwarf outlet.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Thank you. Are you in touch with the people from the Red Dwarf University Challenge special? Will you be attending other recordings?

4. AlexVS

AlexVS Third Technician

No, I was 9 when it was on TV, and by the time I was old enough to be active in Red Dwarf in the sense of doing things like being on the TORDFC team, many of them had disappeared from active fandom and stopped attending Dimension Jump.

5. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

This pretty much sums up how I currently feel. Set reports and word of mouth were saying that it was "a return to form" and "felt very series IV/V" and they made me feel very happy, but when I saw X, most episodes just didn't do it for me, with only Trojan and The Beginning standing out as actually good episodes. X was an improvement over BTE and most of VIII but didn't come anywhere near touching the edge of the greatness of the show in it's III-VI glory years. I really do hope XI is a "return to form" for the show.

6. simulant37

I agree.

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

A tantalisingly positive review indeed. Thanks for sharing. :-)

And thanks to everyone else for sharing the twitter comments too. It's gonna feel like a looong wait until we get to see the shows but so far I'm getting a very good feeling about all this. :-)

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

9. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Another positive set report. Just a shame to hear about the arsey audience members and the empty seats. There were so many people desperate for tickets, it's a shame really. I still think the way tickets were done this time around was a lot fairer but I just wish people who got tickets were a lot more respectful and and grateful. I'm sure it was just a very small minority, I bet the huge majority were so thrilled to be there.

It sounds like there's only a Starbug cockpit and no midsection? I wonder if the Science Room can be redressed and double as Starbug?

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I dunno if it has no mid section, just sounds like you couldn't see the set very well or at all in most cases....I guess we won't know till they post set photos.

11. Ant E

Empty seats are a disgrace! But considering no one on this board appears to have gone to the recording, perhaps tickets have gone to the wrong people!!! :?

12. Slainmonkey

That is very questionable, I mean there is clearly no shortage of people who would have want to have gone....something clearly went wrong there it seem. Either way it's not something that should effect the episode quality, like a number of things that happened during series X.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

At this point it feels like you can't just have the starbug cockpit because it would feel like apart of it is missing but who knows maybe they have a trick up their sleeve or the midsection just isn't needed *shrug*

14. Slainmonkey

Too be fair no one explicitly said their wasn't a mid section, also the episode in question just might not have used it so no one saw a good enough look at it to make a comment on it. I guess we will only find out in time, but it would seem odd if they didn't have one.

15. simulant37

These things are usually oversubscribed in my experience which normally prevents empty seats. Something clearly went wrong here.

16. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

That is the general rule, but not the case with Red Dwarf. They wanted to make sure that everyone who had a ticket would definitely get in. Lost in TV did send out an email on Monday:

The traffic was horrendous in the area, with local roadworks and general Friday evening queues though... maybe some people just couldn't get there in time? I noticed some empty seats in the production guests area, but they tend to be corporate guests and wouldn't have been allocated in the ballot.

17. simulant37

Thanks for that explanation

18. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

You're welcome :-)

19. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Yes, something drastically went wrong, I didn't get a ticket :evil:

20. Ant E

I demand an inquiry!!! :x