Red Dwarf XI episode one buzz

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, Nov 14, 2015.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Empty seats? A waiting list?!?

THERE IS HOPE!!!

Come on people, if you're lucky enough to be granted a ticket you're not going to use, let Lost In TV know so they can reallocate it to someone who can go (preferably me - I will drop everything, take days off from work and get there - a trip of over 5 hours - and book a room in the nearest Premier Inn or whatever, and arrange a babysitter if I need to, just to see it. Even my wife, who isn't a Red Dwarf fan at all, has said she'd come along too).

I haven't read the entirety of the set reports, and I don't want to be spoilt, but it sounds quite promising. Yes, as others say, we were told the same for RDX, but I still liked RDX mostly - each series of RD has some episodes which I like and dislike, and the same goes for RDX (though I can't say there were any episodes I flat-out disliked, but some episodes were average compared to others).

However, in this day of the internet and having a nice handy forum, I'm sure Doug has been gathering feedback from RDX and seeing what worked, what didn't, and what fans themselves want to see.

I will be kinda disappointed if Starbug doesn't have a midsection (because it's always had a midsection, even in series 3). I'm looking forward ridiculously to it being broadcast, but sadly probably won't be in the UK to watch it (moving abroad). Though I do intend to watch it using *ahem* less savoury means, and then of course buy the blu-ray as soon as humanly possible.

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Quick thought too re: a seeming lack of Starbug midsection. The midsection hasn't been used in all the episodes featuring Starbug (the only one I can think of though is Backwards, which may well be the only one).

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

In all fairness though, no set reports even said anything about there being no midsection.....they just never mentioned it. I Honestly think there is a lot of conclusion jumping here.

4. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Exactly. All we have been told is that there is a Starbug set and it looks a bit different to how we know and love it (but how much different no-one has said) and that's it. No mention of there being a mid-section, just as there is no mention of there *not* being a mid-section. Just a case of waiting and seeing I suppose with another set report or official teaser pictures.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Why does a midsection matter? The whole point of Starbug is it's a travel vessel so by logic the decent scenes should take place in the cockpit!

6. Slainmonkey

Poppycock, some of the best scenes of Red Dwarf have taken place in the Starbug midsection. Yes, not having it isn't a deal breaker but it would contribute to having a more complete Red Dwarf experience.

7. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

At times in some early episodes, the door separating the cockpit and midsection has been closed. So perhaps if there is no mid-section this time round the door will make a re-appearance? That is assuming that the cockpit even looks the same or at least close to what it did previously, but they will need some way to get in and out of the cockpit, so the doorway will be there somewhere!

8. Slainmonkey

Looks like only time will tell before we know anything about the midsection....if the Starbug set has one. It will be nice to see the Starbug set when it's revealed all the same.

9. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I'd be surprised if the new Starbug set didn't have at least some kind of midsection, even if it's just a bland room with some crates like the Blue Midget supply room in RDX. They've already said the set this time around will be pretty different from what we're used to so I think it's best we don't overthink it and just wait until we're given a proper look.

That being said, even though it's pretty much been confirmed that they have more of a budget this time around, we're still unlikely to get anything near the production values of say, series V to VIII, so I'd imagine the set we'll be getting won't be as expansive or elabourate.

10. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

To be honest I'd be happier seeing some cool Starbug model shots, particularly her coming out of the Red Dwarf cargo bay doors and then crashing somewhere, proper old school and nostalgic. :-D

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Series 4 and 5 had the best set up because everything they needed to be connected was connected like the starbug cockpit and midsection were all one piece and the bunkroom, science room and another bit of open space which was used for all different stuff looked like it may have all been connected to the same long corridor.

it would be nice if they could do the same thing with series XI but if for whatever reason they can't do that because of space or budget then its not a big deal.

12. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I personally think doing too many nostalgic things and playing up to the hardcore fans is the complete wrong thing to do.

In order for something to evolve, it needs to adapt to change, not always looking back or pandering to the fans. I want it to be fresh and new and yes, perhaps some callbacks, but not too many and not just lipservice to a small group of fans who want to live in a bubble of nostalgia.

Let's see Red Dwarf do something new, attract new fans, become bigger than ever and maybe get that film. New exciting ideas > nostalgia, though Nostalgia > bad new ideas!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Oh i agree i think one of the issues with dougs last few series is to much nostalgia which makes the show feel more tired then actually fresh

but i think when it comes to stuff like the bazookoids and starbug for example those things feel like they come with the show perhaps the same way kryten joined in series 3 and you just can't see the show without him now

14. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

15. Ant E

So what was the crew thing about? Who was getting annoyed at them and why?

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Mainly avoidable mistakes that can get frustrating in a high pressure environment (including feeding the wrong line at the wrong moment.) Danny and Robert were the ones most visibly annoyed.

17. Ant E

Really? I would have thought they'd be the most chilled!

Sounds like good reviews all round though!

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

So, on Twitter it seems Lost In TV are running a "standby" ticket service. Am I right in that:

1 - they're generally available 24 hours before a recording, on a first-come first-served basis
    2 - they're restricted to only 20 tickets
    3 - they're basically tickets so you can get onto Pinewood, but there may not be any seats available (in other words, no-shows)
    4 - if you turn up, and don't get a seat, tough
    5 - are all tickets allocated from now on being handled this way (so if someone returns a ticket and can't go, they're basically added onto this and you have to be on the standby list)

If that's the case then that's no good for me (but good for others) - I can't risk the time/expense if there's no guarantee at the end.

Anyone know if tickets are still getting allocated to the regular waiting list (if they become available)?

19. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

ooh did they send out an email about this? Im assuming not as I didnt receive one. I actually think they did a decent job with ticket allocations. I know it looks like most people on here didnt get any, but on the red dwarf subreddit, quite alot of people have said they have!

20. lostintv

lostintv Third Technician

Hi there,

I can help with this!

1. Yes, we're going to aim to release standby tickets 24 hours before each show. I know it seems fairly late in the day, but by this time we should have a good idea of how many tickets will be used that week and also the size of the production guest list.
    2. Yes - although this figure may be adjusted depending on how many empty seats we see every week, the guest list dropout rate and also how many of the 20 standby ticket-holders actually turn-up.
    3. Exactly. During RDX at Shepperton we had people queuing in cars at the gates or waiting in nearby pubs, but Pinewood are good enough to let people wait on site with the rest of the audience. This saves lots of time and hassle for everyone concerned - if/when seats become released we can get you into them very quickly.
    4. Unfortunately, yes. Obviously we'd prefer it if only local people risked the journey but I fully understand people who want to take the chance and travel from further afield.
    5. No. We're still allocating returns/cancellations in the normal way, putting them back into the random ballot. The standby list is there to cover very last-minute dropouts, for example ticket-holders who have people in their party who suddenly can't attend for whatever reason, or empty production guest seats.

Hope that helps to clarify. I'm also fully aware that if people weren't following our Twitter feed at around 5pm yesterday they would have had no chance of grabbing the standby tickets. So from next week we'll do a better job of giving the official RD and fan club Twitter feeds a heads-up, so as to give everyone a chance to get a standby ticket.