RDXII Red Dwarf XII a success! Netflix beckons?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by 2X4B-523P, Sep 20, 2017.

1. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

Imagine Red Dwarf XIII due to the success of last two seasons and quirky science fiction being very popular at the moment, gets bought by Netflix. Increased budget, increased to 13 episodes, Series gets a team of writers (ok seems very unlikely). what story arc do you think would actually work or like to see? Suggestions please.

Since Buffy & Babylon 5 and probably some shows I've forgotten, Cult TV has got a bit clingy via the story arc. Doctor Who's return is plagued with 'subtle' clues to the season finale scattered throughout its Nu Who run since 2005. Red Dwarf's traditional 6 episode brief stint luckily spared us from for example ' a mysterious woman spying on the ship' or ' Cat hiding dog food'. Aside from Season 6 & 7's 'oops lost the ship' arc and Season 8's ' Well we're in Prison now' plot, Red dwarf has been free of that kind of casual viewer desperation.

2. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Agree

2X4B-523P likes this.
  3. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

A Netflix takeover would be a disaster for me. I don't have Netflix and I won't be getting it. So if that's the measure of "success", I hope RDXII isn't a blockbuster!

I'm just curious to see if any more Red Dwarf will be made. I suppose waiting for DVDs (because it's on Netflix) is better than nothing. But I don't really want it to morph into a different kind of show, with Doug "showrunning" longer seasons. I don't think they could do that without the tone of the show changing.

4. 2X4B-523P

2X4B-523P Third Technician

Ok, Aside from The Netflix option being less likely than Red Dwarf-The movie and maybe it's my exposure to episodic modern fantasy TV but 6 episodes of the Red Dwarf leaves me wanting more and wanting a clearer narrative throughout the season. Rick and Morty manage to do intelligent and imaginative and a bit silly science fiction comedy, I'm not suggesting a Red Dwarf cartoon. I admit there is a tendency to stretch out a plot over 13 episodes at the expense of variation, but extends the characters personal arc.

5. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

I agree totally with you. I too don't have Netflix and will not be getting it. And the DVD thing (waiting for it/them) is actually a question I was going to ask in here. As in how long will we have to wait for it after it finishes its airing?

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Not keen on the idea of what the OP said about "Team of writers" Red dwarf is what it is and that is Doug writing it, it is his baby after all.
    Dave TV were good to get on board and resurrect it in the first place and unless they were no longer interested in RD then it is pretty a bad call to run over to Netflix or anyone else who might even shelve it after 1 series. Dave have the interest so I say let them develop it with Doug, it seems a reasonably happy relationship as is.