Red Dwarf XII Episode 1 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 19, 2016.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Really sorry Talkie... as I was typing my XII episode 1 buzz thread I didn't realise you were creating yours.

Maybe Seb P can delete mine or we just let mine drop.:eek:ops:

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Interesting as after all for me higher budget RD has been a bit hit and miss. Obviously I loved the episodes of series V and VI which had more money spent on them but some of the episodes in VII and VIII were not good enough and the higher budget was ultimately a waste of cash.

Still though what I've just said has worked out what I feel about this "most expensive" RD ever - if the episodes in V and VI that had more money spent on them e.g. BtR, Gunmen... were sensational then as long as the writing in XII is good enough too that's all that matters. I'm not bothered ultimately with the higher budgetary as long as it's funny and a quality story. The writing is all that matters ultimately and if it's good enough it will be interesting to see how they entertain us with the extra money!

Still if this is such an expensive episode I hope it does not impact on the budget for the other eps. though.

Still I feel really excited now and yes it is a happy new year with the first of the two new series on the way.

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well the reason series XI and XII are being shot together is because of budget reason, that way they could save money on start up production costs and spend more money on the episodes themselves. I am all for it if the ideas are more creative then the ones series VII and particularly VIII had......I mean let's remember that budget issues were the root of much of series X's problems, lets not forget the mess that was Dear Dave.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

No. The root of series X's problems had nothing to do with budget. More to do with being unfunny. Lister bizarrely trying to lift a vending machine so it appears he is having sex with it & Lister offensively referring to a woman as a slag for example in Dear Dave.

6. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

So logically you have issue with episode 5 dear Dave rather than series X as a whole?! :roll:

7. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

SO EXCITED!

Budget constraints (or non constraints) have never played a part in me enjoying an episode. My favourite episode being 'Marooned' being approx a bottle episode attests to this. Im really glad they have the option of having a higher than usual budget though, could mean a plethora of different things (new locations, more models being made, more guest stars) but I hope they keep the general vibe that I saw, albeit in parts, with Series XI.

Is anyone off the board going?

8. Slainmonkey

Dear Dave's existance was because of budget issues, Doug had to throw you 2 scripts he had already written last second because series X was going to have far less money then he originally thought. So he had to write Dear Dave and The Begining while he was already filming the other episodes. The beginning benefitted from being cannibalised from an early draft of the never made movie but Dear Dave was entirely a rush job made from scratch. If it weren't for series X budget problems we wouldn't have Dear Dave at all.....which also means it unlikely that series XI and XII will have any episodes that are such a last second cobbled together mess as that episode was.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Getting excited and gonna be stalking LostInTV's twitter from now on!

10. simulant37

Lemons & Entangled were also awful. It is all about the writing NOT budget!

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Me too. Hopefully going to be there this time.

12. Slainmonkey

Actually Entangled was an episode that suffered very heavily too in that a number of issues (including budget) lead half the script being rewritten including an entirely different ending that had to be written during the time it was being filmed. All the episodes in series X had to suffer from last second rewrites because they didn't have enough money to make the episodes as they were.....seriously look it up, series X as a whole was a nightmare of production problem.

13. simulant37

Sounds like excuses to me. He had years to write it! Anyway this is off topic!!!!!

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Filming has started today.

15. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

And he had, but then he had to rewrite it all again and drop a complete episode at the last moment.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

17. simulant37

18. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Giga-weird? That's a new one.

Perhaps this is the multi-Kryten episode (or multi-everyone episode). It would be a lot easier to film it now so they have something to show the audience on the night for the studio bits, as costume changes would be a nightmare.

19. Slainmonkey

He had to drop 2 episodes.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If I remember right Doug wrote Dear Dave over a weekend and he thought the lister letter plot could be the whole episode but realised after it couldn't so then they went back after it was filmed for Reshoots to add the (meh) Rimmer stuff

So far it seems like things have gone more smoother and comfortably with series 11