Red Dwarf XII Episode 1 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 19, 2016.

1. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

indeed, I like the look of Starbug's interior a lot more now that I have seen it this way compared to the 'blue' photo. Good to see there is a mid-section too, but the door is strange. I would have thought they'd make it like before, where it slides into the wall. Now it is an actual swinging door that sits when open behind Rimmer. I could see it getting in the way. It looks weird being there.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The interesting thing about that door is how it has that Submarine look that spaceship sets from a lot of old 50's scifi's had.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I just noticed that 'NOT ALERT' sign over the doorway. A visual gag I suppose.
    I kinda like that door style by the way although part of me wishes they'd stuck with the original style for continuity purposes. I guess 'in-universe' explanations all such differences could be:

1. This is a Starbug made according to the original spec followed by the nanobots.

2. There are several models of these craft. I got the impression Red Dwarf had been in service for quite a while so it makes sense that damaged or faulty vessels have been replaced with later models, while those that still work fine are left alongside them. New models could have been brought in, or the ship computer(s) might engineer new ones when needed. Maybe the Dwarfers have actually crashed all the later models so they're down to the older models! Hee hee. That would explain the more retro submarine stylings.

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hmm... new Starbug...

Unsure about the "not alert" sign, as I don't think there should be wacky visual jokes like that in the Dwarf universe. However, I remember that "not alert" could well be an alert that does already exist, because what if people are wondering if they are supposed to be on alert or not and the bulb on the alert sign has gone? I'm sure I did read that somewhere.

As to the actual set itself, I am pleasantly surprised. No, it doesn't really look like the Starbug we all know and love, but it resembles it enough and carries over familiar elements. It looks like a lot of thought has gone into it (I can see the bit that would lead up to the ceiling) and seems to definitely be a more "3D" set, hopefully one tailored more to looking good in HD.

As for "explanations", who cares? Blue Midget has had a few with no mention.

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Guys, that photo is not an authorised release, it was posted on Twitter. Therefore please don't discuss it or its details on here, or link to it again.

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To be fair, we had no way of knowing that......well not until the tweet was deleted.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Well, put it this way: the first time you see an officially-released picture of the set, it's not going to be on someone's Twitter with a bunch of people you don't recognise in it!

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I guess I'm just easily amused.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oops. We're not supposed to discuss unauthorized photograph.
    So in effect... it no longer exists for the users on this forum.

So we're talking about the existence of something that... doesn't exist.

What doesn't exist?

What am I talking about?

Am I even here?

Blip!
    (That's the some of the timeline realigning doncha know.)

10. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Well, basically, we occupy a redundant timeline now. Seeing the picture, discussing the new Starbug... none of this is going to have happened. The conversation will cease to be HERE, because none of this will have occurred. But it will exist back on the Forums, before all this began. With, of course, no memory of these events, which, of course, never happened. And as these events never happened, we will have no memory of them. In which case, Seb P, Sir, I should like to take this opportunity of saying that you are the most obnoxious, trumped-up, farty little smeghead it has ever been my misfortune to encounter!

11. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

In other news, I hear the new Starbug set is just four deckchairs with a cardboard sign hanging above them that simply has "stArBUg" scrawled on it in felt-tip.

12. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Is anyone else from the board going tomorrow?

13. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm hoping to get a standby ticket. If I don't, I may use some four-letter words.

14. Carrie TORDFC

Fingers crossed for you.

15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Just got me a standby ticket - hoping I get let in (though they haven't turned any standby people away so far!).

16. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Yeah have a great time and fingers crossed you get in it sounds like you will:-D

17. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I got standby tickets for tomorrow too! I have a spare ticket, if anyone wants to take the chance, but I'll be driving from Rotherham after 2.15pm, so I'm cutting it fine for doors closing at 6.30pm if there's any traffic or parking problems around Pinewood. Have to give it my best shot though!

18. Carrie TORDFC

Congratulations both! I would strongly recommend arriving between 5 and 5:30pm if you're on a stand by ticket to ensure best success.

19. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I can't leave work till 2.15pm and it's a 2 hr 53 mins (161 mile) journey down M1. I'm trying to plan my route now, but if I've no chance of making it, when I've looked up the traffic likelihood and parking situation, I'll return the tickets tonight. First day in a hectic new job too, just my luck, lol

20. Carrie TORDFC

That sounds like you should be okay. I think Jed arrived a bit later on a standby and still got in?