Red Dwarf XII Episode 1 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Not to mention that even by process of elimination we know what episode it is because Doug only hinted at 2 plot ideas and that Cat episode was already been and gone.....honestly the staff have hardly been very subtle about which episode were which.

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Oh no! Sorry to hear that! I guess with the stand-by tickets being advertised on the official website now, many more people are aware of them which will make it more difficult to get a seat that way. I hope you're successful next time.

I'm hoping to get a standby ticket for the recording on 19th Feb because it's half term and I'll be able to travel down. I'm not booking a train or hotel until the Thursday when I know for sure I have a standby ticket. I hope I'm successful but I know it's gonna be a risk and a long, lonely night in a hotel alone if I'm turned away. (that makes it sound so seedy haha)

Yes, it does sound like last night's episode was the one where they all turn into Kryten and it seems like it was much better than we feared. With Gazpacho Soup mentioning that there's a large guest cast, I'm wondering whether there are many, many more Krytens than just our crew? perhaps they land on a Terrorform-type planet where all the inhabitants take the form of our beloved Mech? I don't know why but I have visions of zombie-Krytens chasing our crew.

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Don't defend captain negativity aka Simulant37 !

4. Slainmonkey

Who's defending anyone? I'm just obnoxiously pedantic.

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Whereas BORE-ulant is just obnoxious!

6. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

That's the episode I'm hopeing to get standby tickets for. There could be a war on for these tickets!! :lol:

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Or simply demonstrating correct knowledge.

8. Slainmonkey

9. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

All sounding good, seems like a very Mecheavy episode, with a possible love interest for one of the main guys.

The fact it's self contained suggests no big cliff-hanger/reveal in those final behind closed door scenes at the final recording in 2015.

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

First off, apologies to ClareGC for not getting in. I was in the 9 that did and we were all wondering and hoping that you did. There were actually rather a lot of seats left after we got in which were reserved.

Okay, this is my non-spoilery review of RDXII episode 1 (and I'm also including other stuff which people may find useful)

First thing's first, I basically sat on the twitter feed from about 4:35, hammering F5. My two-year-old son decided he'd come along and interfere, fortunately not much. Saw the thing come up at 5, submitted and got a ticket. Then decided to stay in Slough overnight (it has a lot of trains, whereas other stops such as Langley don't) and more hotels. Got a room at the Holiday Inn Express just next to the station (£52, including breakfast), then a train there which also meant that I had to go through London (from Kings Cross to Paddington). Got to the hotel shortly after 2pm on Friday, showered and then went to get something to eat, then a taxi to Pinewood (£11 to £12).

Arrived at Pinewood at about 4:15 and asked the people at reception where I needed to go. I was directed to the marquee and was actually the first one there, with some other standby people just behind me. Apparently they'd been circling the area, along with a few other people, because they weren't allowed in yet, and were confused as to how I'd got in without them noticing (as I'd snuck in on foot). Waited around until they started letting people in at 6, then came back for us dirty standby paupers. As we arrived, we were given a number in the order we arrived.

I'll just quickly say that, at the marquee, toilets are available, as are snacks and drinks. However, you can't take food into the recording, and you can only take in drinks in bottles with screw caps.

The Lost In TV bloke came along and said they definitely had 9 spaces, but wasn't sure about anyone else (again, sorry ClareGC). We were shown through and as I say, there were rather a lot of spaces which were reserved, and were taken up. I'd say there were about 200-300 people in the crowd. Ray the warm-up guy was on hand and kept saying how he thought we could all take on the security staff and steal parts from the Millenium Falcon set, as well as trying to get the Star Wars people in the audience to help. Some random bloke called Mike threatened to derail the whole thing and kept getting punched in the crotch by his wife. Or was it his daughter? Can't remember.

Finally, Doug came out and did the usual spiel - don't spoil it on social media. Fine and dandy, not going to do that. Then the main cast introduced themselves and the sets were revealed, and very grand they were too! Unfortunately my view was quite restricted - I was sat in front of a guest set which was used sparingly, and had a fair bit of camera equipment in the way. Fortunately, the screens they had all over the place showed what the cameras were recording, as well as any pre-recorded segments and effect work.

For those interested, the sets included a large guest set, a corridor (which went around the back of the bunk room), the new and fantastic-looking bunk room, another corridor, Starbug (yay!!!), and another guest set which actually got expanded on! That was something to see - the crew very quickly adding panels and expanding the set, changing the dimensions of it. I could barely see it from where I was, but on the screen it looked fantastic.

As it all did! RDXII looks amazing, and there were a handful of pre-recorded bits which looked ace. Stuff shot in Starbug was brilliant - you can only just see the outside of Starbug in the corner, but watching it on the screen it looks probably a lot more convincing than ever - unlike Blue Midget in RDX (which was pretty much the drive room in blue). The corridors were convincing too, and I can't wait to see more of the new bunk room. Watching it on the monitors, it had the very film-like look of RDVII, where it looked like they actually had a budget and were filming on closed sets, without the need for an audience. Quite frankly, it was incredible. I've recently been to Hobbiton where they did the Shire stuff in Lord Of The Rings / Hobbit. Screw that (and the Harry Potter exhibit) - the RDXII sets are much more worthy.

The episode itself was fantastic. In terms of look, it had the quality of RDVII, the sets of RDX (but spruced up), and felt like an episode from series 4. Something like Holoship (I know, it's from series 5) and Justice. This is one which will have a lot of fans. Some great humour in it too, some good jokes to keep the pace going and a few great belly laughs.

Oh, and Robert Llwellyn was gurning at the camera too. A lot. Chris did from time to time. Craig and Danny are obviously too professional for that (though Danny liked wandering about).

Quick aside - you can go to the toilet if you want during the recording, you just have to let people know between takes (don't worry, there's a lot of opportunity for that, as the first scene performed took at least five takes).

As for this being the "most expensive episode of Red Dwarf yet" - good God it showed. As soon as it happened, it happened. I can't really say any more than that, but in terms of me going "did they just do that?" it was up there with Laredo in Gunmen, and the market scene in Lemons. Absolutely fantastic, and I know some people won't have had any fingers left after concocting that little surprise up.

Random non-spoilery quotes:

Rob: "Have you noticed sir that we've been walking down this corridor and there aren't any cameras following us?"

Craig: "And she's wearing dungarees..."

Now, there were bits missing from the episode. I'd say we probably got about three quarters of the actual episode (both filmed in front of us, and in pre-recorded segments). The pre-recorded segments were pre-recorded due to special effects (which in some cases were incomplete), location shoots, and camera gags which wouldn't have worked if it were done live. The recording finished at 10.

Overall, this is the first (and likely only) recording I'll go to, and even considering the expense of getting there, I'm glad I went. There's definitely some very good Dwarf in there, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If so then Hopefully it's not too similar to camille

12. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

That review was lovely to read. Thanks :-)

13. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Great review djmcbell , thanks for taking the time to write it. :-)

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

As Miss Flibble said, if you're going to do "that" episode, then that's the way to do it. It not only did "that" episode, it ran with the idea, scored a try, carried on going, took off its clothes and streaked through the crowd, then finished off by decapitating the referee.

I still can't believe they did it, and did it so convincingly. This is one which will look fantastic on screen (it looked fantastic on the screens they had it on during the recording) and believe me, some people are going to have worked their fingers to the bone on it - for which we will forever be grateful.

And yes, I noticed a few callbacks too to series 3, Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, and a handful of others I unfortunately can't remember. I've been thinking "were some bits too wacky?" and have finally conceded "no, some bits were wacky but it suited the episode", which has satisfied me a bit. But there was definitely some great stuff, and what will become the first 10 minutes were probably the best Red Dwarf I've seen since series 6 and were pretty darn good.

Forgot to mention, it starts out as one thing, becomes something different, and then changes some more a few times. Definitely also got some good character insights too.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

My issue with call backs is that they tend to feel unnecessary and like its trying to win points with fans by bringing up classic episodes

16. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Exactly. A pointless addition. Also the episode being called back to is invariably much funnier than what one is currently watching.

17. Slainmonkey

I hope the call backs at least serve some benefit other then just being thrown in to be fan servicey.

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm going to have to go back through the episode to remember the other callbacks, but of the two I remember, they didn't impact the story at all and at first glance were just a part of a conversation, a natural bit which just got a few laughs.

Oh and just to tease people, there is a musical bit too. Performed live. Oh God my ears.

The fact that I can't remember some of the callbacks should please people in that, mostly, they were quite minor and didn't impact my enjoyment of it at all. I even think there was a callback to series 2 but would have to watch again to make sure.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I've got no problems with callbacks depending on their nature.

I like the idea that episodes are in continuity and if the callback is just referring to past events which relate to the current episode, that's fine. Amusingly in a couple of episodes they even refer to stuff that wasn't even filmed. I.e an adventure that occurred between episodes. Referring to that is okay, but referring to events that were filmed in earlier episodes is 'fan service'? Well if it is overdone, or feels shoehorned in just for the sake of it maybe.

When they were running from the curry monster in DNA and they mentioned the polymorph, for example, that seemed natural enough." How can the same smeg happen..." Etc.

But if they constantly said, "Do you remember when ...." that could get a bit irritating. But the closest they came to doing something like that was the comic book shop scene in Back to Earth, but then it did fit the metafictional nature of the story.

Oh and the Dwayne and Ace sort of return in Polymorph 2, felt rather fanservicey. Particularly the fact their physical appearance changed to fit their change in personality. And the Dibbley family in series 8, of course. They didn't particularly bother me, but I can understand why many fans were smegged off.

I had reservations about Doug providing a story based on an idea his actors had. But if it gave him an idea to develop into something rather good - and I get the impression that is the case here - great!

I'm not sure.about the one about Talkie Toaster taking over the ship. I guess forcing all dispensing machines to just provide bread (and currant) related products could be amusing for five minutes. But in the end it would just be a variance on the 'insane computer takes over the ship' like Queeg and Pree.