Red Dwarf XII Episode 1 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Annnnnnd the negativity begins. Before it is broadcast. Impressive Sim

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Actually that's a perfectly legitimate worry, particularly for anyone who's had the misfortune of having to sit through "Back in the Red". It's something Doug has done before with painful results so it's only fair to feel that way. I think we all hope that Doug all proves us wrong but I would be lying if I didn't think the same thing.

3. Ant E

"A pointless addition" is a statement about the said episode, not a concern!

Unless Sim is now telling us he was there... :roll:

Personally I'd rather leave clear judgements until the episode is aired.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wise words again slainmonkey x

5. Ant E

More negativity from the master of negativity! :roll:

6. Ant E

More negativity from the master of negativity! :roll:

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

That is the nature of the most noticeable callbacks. There were some others which went back to series 10, and still others that I think went back to series 2, but you'll have to really pay attention to spot them. None of the callbacks were irritating or detracted from the episode - in fact, they were used as quick jokes.

As an aside, I'm not really a fan of Kryten's new suit - looks a bit grey and dusty. However, they've certainly given him a bit more girth. Kryten enters middle age!

8. Ant E

How old is Kryten meant to be? I.e. How long was he waiting to be rescued? Is it ever referenced?

9. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Danny just said this on twitter

By any chance would david jason be the certain actor from comedy shows that people were surprised they got?

Not sure if anyone would be allowed to say either way but its certainly an interesting mention from danny, although they could still be filming next door to still open all hours anyway so it could be nothing

11. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

There is a bit of a spoiler in that set report just to warn people, though its the worst kept secret in the world.

12. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

They film Still Open All Hours in the studio beside the one they film Red Dwarf on, so David Jason being around the area wouldn't be that big a surprise. I doubt it is him appearing in Red Dwarf XII.

13. Ant E

I doubt it's him. More likely that Onion bloke from Over to Bill.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Would he really be someone people would be surprised to see on the show?

Especially with reactions to the gueststar like

15. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

From reading this thread, I'm more excited to see this episode than the earlier series XI ones, lol. The wait for XII will feel like an eternity, but at least I'll have a series to watch before then.:P

I'm excited again, as Nick from Lost in TV has offered me a standby ticket for this Friday, if I prefer that to waiting (with 8 people ahead of me) for any possible returned guaranteed-entry tickets.

So, I'm going to pinewood again, but this time I can arrive early. I'll go in on foot, so I'm not in a queue of cars waiting to be parked at 5pm, and see if there might be an opportunity to get to the holding tent area just before 5pm.

16. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Good luck x

17. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Thanks, Sim

18. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

This quite possibly sounds like the best received episode of all of the new material so far. I like the fact that Richard said it was "v. difficult" to film - as much as I enjoyed series X and found it to be very good I did feel it needed a bit more complexity occasionally. So hopefully this is a good sign as I want to see some heavy science like 4-6 in the new RD too.

However, I wouldn't write off XI just yet (though I presume you were just joking by the lol) as after all episodes 5 and 6 in particular were very well received and perceived as classic RD too and all the other episodes were seen as being more tightly written than X as well. Anyway, it's not certain as to which episodes will be in XI or XII yet.

But anyhow, it's great that there is yet more RD being filmed with more location shots and bigger budget. I wondered whether I will be sad in March when the new RD audience filming is over...but what's there to be sad about when there will be new RD on our TV screens, computers etc. for this year and the one after.

Also just thought I would say I enjoyed djmcbell's review a couple of days ago btw and all the other set reports too!

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Episode 1 and 2 were very strongly received too, and most said that 4 and 5 of series XI was more tightly written then anything in series X even in it's unedited format. So there is actually a lot there to be cautiously optimistic about.....even if I'm less then enthused with all the talk of back refferences, but if the episodes are strong enough to stand and have their own fun ideas on their own then I'm willing to look past that. I mean that has been a shortcoming in Doug's writing before, but it's not enough to kill my interest in the new episodes.