Red Dwarf XII Episode 1 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 19, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Precisely slainmonkey - the episode was definitely tightly written, involving all four of the crew. I didn't really notice any flabby, unneeded storylines like the phone bit in Trojan.

In terms of the callbacks, I've just remembered one from series 4 (and series 6 too!). But believe me, apart from one at the very end (which I thought was a bit OTT), the callbacks are just quick jokes for the fans. Quick blink-and-you'll-miss-them callbacks but, as fans, they were very very funny.

Now I've had more time to think about it, and thinking about how it'd be in the finished form, this was easily the best Red Dwarf I've seen since Doug took it up on his own, apart from perhaps Tikka To Ride (which was easily the best from series 7 IMO). It would fit in perfectly in series 4, as others have said, with the sets from RDX (but better - the bunk room set looked a lot shinier) and the film-like quality of series 7. It would even fit in pretty well in the series 4-6 "golden era" (apart from the OTT bit at the end, in my opinion).

ClareGC - good luck, but I would suggest that you get there earlier if you can! I got there at 4:20 and was the first one in the marquee, a minute or two after that a few more standby people came along. If people are twigging that standby tickets may not get let in now, they may come earlier too. I got a taxi from Slough and got to reception, the marquee is literally just round the corner from reception (but you'll be shown where you need to go anyway).

EDIT - just to make you all a bit more excited to see it, I still can't believe they did THAT. That's big budget sci-fi stuff, that is. And even then, they do several different takes from different angles so a single scene, with THAT in it, would take them hours and hours. For Red Dwarf to do THAT, convincingly, sometimes in a single take, is absurd.

Maybe that's why the Star Wars people were there, to learn a lesson or two?

Quick shout to the sets too - to think that so many of those scenes were done in a tiny guest set off in the corner, which they just built on and lit differently and populated with a few different props... and Starbug too, filming all that in a set interior which isn't much bigger than the inside of a 4x4!

Another quick edit - Chris Barrie more or less topped the episode for me, for so many reasons. I wanted to see the old Rimmer back, and this was very satisfying on so many weird and wonderful levels.

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

At least they didn't embarrass themselves infront of the Star Wars staff like they did back wh n they were filming series 8......then again both series 8 and Star Wars episode 1 were both pretty damn embarrassing in their own ways.

3. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Thank you :-) I'll be lurking very early, but for some reason I'd thought they didn't let us through the Red Dwarf audience barrier till 5pm. Do you know if they have an 'earliest entry' time? Or, maybe they just let people through whenever they're ready?

I will definitely come in on foot (or by taxi if necessary for the road condition) if it gives me a chance of getting through the barrier before cars are let through.

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

ClareGC - you must understand that my timing was a pure fluke. I'd heard from others here that, so long as I arrive between 4 and 5, I'd be fine, but I'm overly cautious by nature. Also, I came in on train and got a taxi from the taxi rank outside Slough train station at about 4:10 (getting there about 10 minutes later) so I already thought I was running late - I wanted to be there by 4 on the dot, if not before.

There's barely anything I can add and, as you were at Pinewood too at the same time as I was, you'll know the layout. The taxi dropped me off at the small reception building as you come in (where you'd turn right to go into the car park) so the marquee is literally there. I'd imagine the people at Pinewood are pretty good - if you get there too early they'd probably let you wait around before the marquee opens, but of course they'll only open the car park at a particular time and can't have cars queueing to get let in much.

I would be hesitant about coming in on foot, as I think Seb said in a post in the ticket holders thread, there are some bits which don't have any pavements to walk on. The taxi from Slough, for me on my own, was between £11 and £12 (a bit more for coming back, as I shared with some other people - I think it was £13 or £14 in total).

EDIT - also, I don't think anyone has a definite "letting-in" time, it's up to Lost In TV and Pinewood and whenever they're ready.

5. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Thanks djmcbell, for your full font of knowledge :-) I'm sure I'll be amongst the first in, and the rest is out of my hands.

6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Yes, episodes 1 and 2 were also well received too as you have reminded me. As long as there are not too many callbacks I am happy to be honest to have a few as for once Red Dwarf - a show that has been running for almost 30 years - has a bit of continuity. Though of course there is not too much worse than old ideas being reused in an inferior way.

Another thing episode 3 - though it was the least well received - was also seen as good (I think?) and more tightly written than X. As I found X very enjoyable then it is all rather promising.

So the episodes filmed in the XI block have all been popular and seen as superior to the other 21st century RD material.

Another thing I like the sound of is that 2 or 3 of the episodes are a bit darker. The Beginning was slightly dark too I suppose but maybe not as dark as the new XI eps. What it is though about them behind darker is as much as I love the lighter toned RD episodes, some of the other vintage Red Dwarf material (namely in V and VI) was really dark - but crucially still extremely funny - so it will be good to see if some of the new material can hark back to those two series from the show's peak years to an even greater extent than The Beginning. Though I do accept the XI episodes are not as dark as say Demons and Angels (which is a great episode anyway).