Red Dwarf XII Episode 2 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pad_ehh, Feb 3, 2016.

1. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

2. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Wow tense show then!!

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

4. Ant the Dragon

5. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I think everyone's getting their knickers in a twist too much over these callbacks. Remember the callback to series 4 that was in series 6? No? Thought not. That was the basic level of the ones in last week's episode.

6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Tbh, this is exactly how I feel really about this callback/back references issue. If it is recycling old jokes or old ideas in an inferior way then that is a no no for Doug. But if it is merely just references to the earlier series in terms of what happened then as long as there are not too many that they detract from the new ideas/storylines then I don't really see what is the problem. In fact a few back references is not a problem for me because after all it gives RD a bit of continuity and cohesion between the series for once.

7. Ant the Dragon

"Remember that time when..."

I probably say this twice a week. Why can't the red dwarf crew?! :?

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Like I said, in an earlier post this is the only episode so far that has had a "mixed" response and hence even then some people enjoyed it anyway. So even this has garnered some praise. So like you say if this is a "weaker" one and especially if the final 4 episodes get a similar response to what the previous XI and first XII ones got then it bodes well for the 2 new series. But anyway this is the only episode so far that appears to have not been completely well received so I must keep that in perspective that it is only one and anyway I have not seen it myself anyway so how do I know whether it is any good or not?

DanPendo mentioned about it perhaps having a "controversial" concept - I noticed Richard Naylor tweeted on the day of the filming that it had a bit of Bowie about it? Could this be a musical comedy episode or something? After all don't forget the teenage Lister performing the "Om" song so it has been done a bit before. But we'll see, there are no spoilers allowed but it will be interesting to see how Bowie is integrated into the Red Dwarf universe.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Back references are often very awkward, I always think to back in the red where Kryten is talking about their adventures in series 6 and 7 and how they benefited them before kochanski points out how one of the benefits was they found her and Kryten throws the pad away and walks off, very pointless back references for a not very funny joke.

Other worthy mentions are the OM song mention in Kryten TV where lister and Rimmer are talking about it and this series 1 version of Rimmer apparently knows about the song and lister is now talking about how great the song was even though he himself called himself crap in series 3.

Back to earth had dozens like the shop wonder mentioning all these ways they can transport using past episodes which become cringeworthy in its execution.

Serie 10 has a whole was very confused by the back references since it was so spiritually attached to series 1 that they kept bringing up the radiation leak that killed Rimmer and the crew just to create plot devices like the safety forms subplot or jokes like Rimmer giving them advice on how to die nicely, now I get they may wanna ignore that series 8 ever happened but some things just feel many years to late.

Often back references are embarrassing when used for jokes and sometimes they are just thrown in For the cool factor and feel a little contradictory and yes I know early series while not often they occasionally did them like in demons and angels where lister mentioned playing pool with planets but since he shouldn't have remembered that anyway that's just proves my point about back references

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Again, in terms of callbacks, we did have series 6 which had a few callbacks - the brief nod to Inquisitor in Legion (something like "most of those wanted to kill us, or erase us from existence altogether"), and Camille in Gunmen ("smee-hee"). From the episode I went to, most of them are like that - little nods which the fans will click with.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

"Smeee-heee" was a running gag though, so I think that can get a pass.....but even some of the other back refferences in Series VI were wholly unwanted!

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Nods are fine with me

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I am fine with ones in series 6 because if you watch the series in order they rarely do it in the series leading up to 6 and when we do get to 6 in episodes like emohawk it feels like a one off novelty and then The next 2 episode don't really have any if you don't count lister mentioning being found under a pool table but I don't think thats the same thing

Series 7 doesn't have many really, series 8 is the one that embraced it and I think 8 and BTE are the ones that soured back references for me

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I think Ian on G&T summed up the "callback" issue best:

15. Ant the Dragon

This thread is worse than Rimmerworld :roll:

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Your icon seems like a fitting response to that joke you just made....