Red Dwarf XII Episode 6 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Mar 2, 2016.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Regarding the end of RD...well to be honest I don't mind too much either way as to whether it continues or ends on what is reckoned to be a nostalgic and extremely strong final episode of the new material. It can't go on forever after all. I am just relieved we have got new Red Dwarf in this century in all honesty because when I used to watch RD all the way through in the 2000s way before there was any talk of BtE I used to feel really sad when I got to Only the Good... because not just was it the "last" episode but I thought RD went out on a bizarre, poorly written low note!

So when you consider that I thought we weren't ever going to see any new RD into the new millennium and that "final" episode was so poor with a bizarre "conclusion" I am just relieved we have got 3 complete series and 1 mini one in the 21st century.

In fact when you think of the position RD was in this time last year or say a year and a half ago with no new commission for even 1 series and everyone worried that The Beginning was albeit a pretty excellent one but what could have been the final ep if Craig hadn't decided to leave Corrie then it is marvellous that we have got not just 1, but 2 new full series and yes it sounds like it is in strong form again.

But anyway if last night's episode is indeed a brilliant end to RD then fair enough I suppose as "all good things have to come to an end" after all if you can forgive me using such a cheesy cliche. But if it could go on for future series and maintain its good form then fair enough, that would be great too. But the worst thing I would want to see for RD is for it to go downhill again and become stale. I'd rather it ended on a fitting high and anyway the cast may decide to work on other things e.g. Could Craig end up back in Corrie eventually? But like I said if it could stay strong then fair enough it would be good to see some more.

Ultimately, after almost being the last and quite a naff final episode at the end of the 20th century it's just so good to have so much more new RD 17 years on. Who would have thought in late 1999 that we will eventually see RD reach its twelfth series in 2017?!

Regarding series X, okay it wasn't quite vintage but it was very good, really enjoyable and had quite a fair feel of the show's various styles in its peak years. But yes new episodes in XI and XII that are much closer to the show's feel in its indomitable glory days would be most welcome!:-)

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

With that said.....it would be cool if it managed to have a season on it's 30th....I mean that would make one hell of a land mark and it's so close! I suspect Doug has been intentionally ending things at a point that could serve to be a finale as in reality he doesn't know how the ratings will hold out over the 2 new series. At this point what ever we get it a bonus as in reality this was a show we all thought died a painful death back in 1999, so while it'll be cool if there is more it's only if there's still good ideas that are worth coming back to.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I am probably one of those rare few who wasn't totally sold of the episode 'The beginning' as while i liked some of it i was never really fond of the i ain't your father angle which i still think probably sounds cool on paper but is pretty flawed a concept, oh and the villains were a little to camp to be taken seriously

So i hope this episode isn't to drawn into trying to give some sorta show resolution like they did with the rimmers dad stuff in just half hour running time because it may not end up working very well as Dougs writing has often felt at least to me like he writes stuff that sounds cool aslong as you don't think about it, and i count his solo novel last human in that too

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The episodes they are comparing it too honestly give you a pretty strong idea of what the scifi element to the plot is...even if it's always a worry to see a comparison to "Only the Good"

5. p_hill3000

p_hill3000 Third Technician

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm really not sure Red Dwarf can have an end. Yeah, they could actually find Earth and live happily ever after, but whilst that is their goal, they've made absolutely no visible progress in getting there. It's just bumming around in deep space, with the occasional time-travel smeg where they end up back on Earth, but they always go back to the Dwarf. Ten series in, and absolutely no giant plot, it'd be silly to do one now where they end it.

But, of course, where does that leave the crew? Could we actually see an episode where they're all elderly and attending, say, Cat's funeral, before going about their usual mundane lives? That'd be really bloody depressing (and no, I wouldn't want them to bring in new cast now either and do a "Red Dwarf - The Next Generation").

Red Dwarf cannot have a proper end, because it is open-ended and should stay that way. The only real ending it can have would be for an episode to just be so mind-bogglingly good that you just think "I can't think of anything they can do to top that". Though it's by no means my favourite episode (even of RDX), a lot of people thought The Beginning could be that one because it gives Rimmer some validity, has a big credible threat, no cliffhanger and was clearly meant to be big and brash. But even that ended with "let's go have more space adventures" (fortunately, as otherwise we wouldn't be getting series XI and XII).

It's been known that RDX was a mixed bag for Doug to do, with so much that needed to be cut, trimmed, and hasty re-writes. Yet, by and large, it was still good. To me, it feels like half-way between series 4 and 8, with some good plots but some overly wacky bits.

I assume, from the recording I attended and what other people have said, that Doug has learnt how to avoid this. In terms of writing, the episode I saw could easily have been from series 4 or 5. Doug had years to work on the scripts between RDX and these new ones, and clearly he's used the time well. And not just that, but production crew and everyone else will have had time to learn and improve their trade.

And yet, I still can't get around the fact that there's 12 episodes, rather than 6. Yes, I know, it's TWO separate series, but it makes me wonder if:

1 - they've done two separate series, back-to-back, to save money (which, of course, they have)

2 - because there's two series, and Doug's had years (don't forget, soon after RDX aired he said he was starting to write new scripts with the hope of getting them done), this could represent all the ideas that Doug had left over that he wanted to do

3 - because there's two series, could they be doing this to ensure they get all the good ideas and episodes done in case there's no more Red Dwarf produced after it?

Yep, you read number 3 right. Could one of the reasons they've done two series of Red Dwarf be so they could ensure they got as much out as possible, in case there's no more produced? That's my thought, and I think it'd be quite a sensible option.

But, in any case, a good show can be timeless. All my DVDs are packed away for a move I'm making, except for Red Dwarf. I'll still put it on from time to time and watch a few episodes, and I still love it (well, most of it). And at the end of this year there'll be another six episodes joining the collection, followed by another six in 2017. It's still smegging great, and I would want it to continue forever, but I don't think they'd be able to keep up the quality.

7. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Wow, really excited for this episode even though transmission will probably be well over a year away!

8. AlexVS

AlexVS Third Technician

Yes, that would be this delightful character.

Mirror journalist arrested in newspaper offices over phone hacking

9. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Its a bit sad in a way that there are no new episodes left to be recorded but it means the real countdown begins now, can't wait to find out when they will be broadcast.

10. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

The last few months of 'buzz' has been great, hasn't it? There can't be many TV programmes that give the fan-base an opportunity to feel informed / or indeed involved this far in advance of broadcast - even if we really know next to nothing(!)

I hope that recording the two series back-to-back was - however exhausting - an awesome experience for cast and crew, because I'd love to see this pattern continue; while it's doubtful we could have a new series every year (nor would I want it to become something we take for granted), it'd be great to have another block of 12 produced in a few years' time.

Sounds greedy, I know (especially given XI and XII have yet to be scheduled), but providing Doug and the cast are happy, the double block appears as though it's been a very effective way pulling everything together.

I see no reason why this new era can't run and run... albeit within certain sensible preset parameters.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If dave green light a new series by next year and start filming by christmas then i can see a series 13 being made but if they wait untill 2018 before greenlighting it then i dunno about that as the cast are still getting older and while i think they can just about get away with looking good right now i dunno how long before it does start to become silly, i mean a 60 year old cat will start to show no matter how much make up you add.

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Yep, that was the one I went to and it was a veritable horde of Krytens that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Really looking forward to seeing some of the smeg ups on that, or if some of the improvised stuff makes it into the episode proper!

13. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Careful now.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Enough with this sort of thing.
    (Imagine with an Irish accent.)

Don't mind me, I like Father Ted.

15. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

No worries that's the sorta thing I was going for.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

I've been wondering if the nostalgic mood of XII has something to do with the anniversary ...

17. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I only said Only The Good for one specific theme of the episode and it's honestly so much more better than OTG can EVER be lol

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Its funny because doug does so much nostalgia referencing the early good shows and when it comes to concluding the ending to only the good its like hey look over there!!! *vanish*

I could be totally wrong about that though and he could have concluded it in the 2 new series, nothing from the set reports gave me that feeling but we will see