Red Dwarf XII Episode 6 Buzz!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Mar 2, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I don't think Doug will ever reveal what happened at the end of Only The Good, probably because he either doesn't know, hasn't made his mind up, or doesn't care. And, to be honest, I don't really care either.

Time to keep this thread going! How excited are you for new Red Dwarf? Expect it to air about six months from now (September). Again, the episode I saw definitely could be a "lost" episode from series 4 (though there were one or two "wacky" bits I wasn't sure about, the rest was brilliant, vintage-flavour Dwarf) and a lot of other people who've seen any of the episodes being recorded agree that the new series' do evoke "old" Dwarf.

And, will you be buying it on DVD or blu-ray (if at all)? I'll be getting the blu-ray, though chances are I'll be living elsewhere when it's released and have to get it imported. Though I will also be seeking to watch it through *ahem* less unsavoury means as soon as humanly possible.

2. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I'm hugely excited for the next two series! I saw 3 episodes (2 series XI & last episode of series XII) and I can't wait to see how they translate onto the TV screen.

3. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

You see, before X was broadcast, people were also saying that it was a return to form and very much like the old series, and that made me happy after the bad taste that BTE and some of 7 and 8 had left. Yet, when I finally got to see it I found it, for the most part, disappointing.

People saying that XI and XII are also very classic era Dwarf partly makes me very happy, but partly fearful that I will be disappointed again like I was with X. I guess we will find out later this year...

4. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

pad-e, I know what you mean. Obviously, we in the audience had the warm-up guy and were mainly just glad to be there. I think seeing something live (which is all that anyone has seen of XI and XII so far) is different to seeing the finished article on TV, and I'll have to see if my opinion changes when it's actually broadcast. And I do wonder sometimes if we judge a lot of things by nostalgia too.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

One thing that makes me optimistic: while reviews were largely positive for X, there was some uncertainty.

In the case of these two series, I think there was just one (maybe two) episode(s) which had mixed reviews, and overall the leaning seemed to be towards the positive.

I do remember one guy on G&T (a forum commenter, not one of their listed reviewers or staff, to be clear) absolutely deriding one episode which everyone else seemed to like. I forget if that was the same episode with an uncertain reception mentioned above, but I don't think it was.

Anyway, that's 10/12 liked, and the other 2 mostly liked.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I mostly liked X by the way, although I found a bit of characterisation slightly off.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf X was a mixed bag for me each episode had some good stuff but also some pretty bad stuff ranging from comedy,story and direction.

It seems like the production for these 2 new series is actually gonna be quite impressive visually so i just hope the writing is just as impressive this time.

I am glad it sounds like doug has stopped the multi-plot stories though.

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It sounds like you might be possibly already backtracking on whether the episode you saw was indeed up there with series 4.

I do know what you mean about series 10 being given such great plaudits but while almost being up there with the best Red Dwarf wasn't quite vintage. I suppose that's what worries me about the new material too is that big question - will it be up there with the peak RD years and will it be remembered in years to come like the late 1988 to 1993 RDs were? But still it's only 1, maybe 2 eps. that haven't been as well received as the others so that is reassuring. But still Doug and others did say before 10 was broadcast that RD was "back to its best" and it wasn't quite.

I suppose it is always going to be to the detriment of the post 6 material that there is no Rob Grant co-writing. But still I remember another thing that was said and was the consensus was that the writing in 11 and 12 was "tighter" than that of 10 so that bodes well.

I could go on and on thinking about this but I as I have said I really enjoyed 10 so if the 2 new series can match or better still advance that quality then I would be quite satisfied with the former and especially made-up with the latter prospect. One thing I do think though is really Fathers and Suns is the 1 ep. of 10 that I would say is totally classic so for the new material I would like to see more eps. in 11 and 12 be massive standouts (hopefully 4 maybe even 6 at least) and from the sound of it eps. 5 and 6 in 11 and eps. 1, 3 and 6 in 12 match that description.

But anyway the main thing is I haven't seen it myself yet obviously and nearly all the eps. were well received so it all bodes well. Even though I am slightly more concerned by the possible backtrack in the quote above with the general opinion being that a lot of the episodes are tighter than 10 then I am still really excited and highly anticipating watching the first new RD in 4 long years with another full series to come in the next year!

Bottom line, as long as it is not a decline on the quality of series 10 I will be fairly satisfied but if it can improve on that and have more standout episodes in the "vintage" bracket then that is really what I want to see.

Happy Easter btw everyone.