RED DWARF XII NEWS

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RECTUMfacedPYGMY, Feb 26, 2013.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

1 - 6. . .8)

2. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

there will be at least one more series...for sure...no matter what anyone says on here...mark MY words...at least 1 more!

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think that's very likely.

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Hopefully it will air late next year so it is only a 2 year gap between series. But it is getting slightly frustrating checking the site and still nothing confirmed. Still things take time I guess.

If series XI is very good or even better than X then ideally XII will be created. Series X was very good and I really think 3 series would be possible in the shows third run. X had a good feel about it and was funny with solid stories so it gives me confidence for the future. What I would possibly like to see in 11 is heavier science fiction and more locations like series 3. Though of course budget constraints does affect this.

5. menacexp

menacexp Second Technician

it's VERY likely! It's already been hinted that season 11 is in the works and Doug has episodes written already. Not to mention cast and crew have all talked about season 11

6. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Incredibly likely. Anyone who attended the convention earlier this year heard Doug describing how talks were already underway with UKTV. Now it's just a case of waiting and being patient. No point in the site 'announcing' anything that isn't yet official for either party. Poor Seb would get rapped knuckles!

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Just in case my last post was misinterpreted (and I don't think it was, it just occurred to me it could have been) I wasn't being sarcastic.

I was at the convention too, and while more definitive news would have been nice* the feedback was certainly optimistic.

*Although I think it's just as well they didn't jump the gun as it's still early days.

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Isn't it round about now we should be hoping for some news on RDXI. Just by my guestimates of course.

9. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

I suppose anytime now up to October especially if they was going to start filming in February like they wanted smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee not looking good for that :-(

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i'm guessing doug is still talking budget with Dave so best not to announce it till everything is nailed down

11. Ianjk78

As long as they start earlyish next year for a later in the year release. I wouldn't like to wait a 3rd year

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I'd rather wait for something good than let them rush out a series of nonsense.

13. Sammy Psycho

Yeah but a 2 year gap is plenty to write quality programs, I think it's more logistics and budgets that are the time costly problems with setting up a series.

14. Ianjk78

I agree!

15. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

2-3 years is hardly what I'd call a "rush..." Entire technologies appear and become obsolete in less time. We moved beyond danger of a "rushed product" about a month or two after RDX ended.

Remember during the shows original run (and this was back in the "stone" age), most of the series were written and filmed in back-to-back years: Series I, II, and III were written & filmed in 1987/88/89 respectively, and IV, V, and VI were 1991/92/93. And those were some quality shows, no? Any major franchise TV show gets written, filmed and broadcast in back to back years for the duration of its life cycle. It's just the way it is.

Things have moved incredibly slowly behind the scenes of Red Dwarf ever since Rob Grant left. We started seeing 2, 3, 4, and 10 year gaps between output. It's probably more a coincidence than his leaving actually being a contributing factor, but remember the whole movie debacle. That went on for nearly a decade and in the end, not a damn thing happened, except the release of a single photo of the cast sitting around a table with scripts in their hands. If that's all they were after, they could have shot the photo during a series 8 rehearsal and saved everyone 10 years.

As far as I'm concerned, any speculative talk as to the reason for these delays is just that, speculative. And any rhetoric from those actually in the know is ultimately just as meaningless until there's something solid to announce. The fact of the matter is, nobody has made any sort of headway into commissioning a new series as of yet. Naylor may indeed have a lineup of scripts all ready to go but that's meaningless without a commission. And the reality is, it doesn't take 3, 2, or even 1 year to commission another season of a show with a proven track record like Red Dwarf. It doesn't take 3 years to iron out "budget details," that's all a bunch of horses**t. Time is money and if money is such a major concern, spending 3 years worth of money to argue about money seems a bit counterproductive, no? It's all just an attempt to qualify the delays.

Keeping in mind this is speculation on my part, but to ME it seems clear and logical that for everyone involved (actors, producers, crew, etc) Red Dwarf just isn't the primary concern like it was in the late 80s/early 90s. It's like that project car in the garage you get to work on a little bit in your spare time after work is done and the bills are paid. Maybe one day you'll finish it. Maybe you won't.

There's no doubt in anyone's mind RD has more life left in it and deserves at LEAST one more series. Will it actually happen? I'll believe it when I see it. At the rate we've been going though, this particular fan will be shocked if we see anything on screen before 2016-17, if ever. Eventually we'll reach a point where the actors are too old to convincingly reprise their roles, and that day is approaching much sooner than many of us would like to admit.

16. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

It does seem a tad odd that things are taking so long. But then we can't be sure of exactly what's going on behind the scenes. I know movies often take years to even go into production but how usual is it for a tried and tested popular TV show to take so long?

The only major reasons I can think of for why it may take some time is seemingly never ending budget discussions and actor availability, most notably Craig and Danny. But I really did expect DAVE/UKTV to have officially commissioned the next series by this point. you would think they'd want to strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

Then again I don't work in the business, so gawd knows what kind of complex annoying issues Doug is having to deal with at this point. Either way, I can't see it being his choice to leave things so long.

Whatever the reasons may be I imagine we'll find out eventually. Perhaps all will be explained after the series has been aired [around 2 years after it's filmed in 2020 most likely ;-) ]. Or maybe we'll hear about it on the DVD documentary.

17. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

We can't know. But I have a sneaking suspicion that very little is going on, unfortunately.

Very unusual, and that was my point. Can you imagine if shows like Star Trek (any of them), Lost, Seinfeld, or any other mega-popular show went half a decade between seasons?

Budget discussions don't take three years, and that's just the fact of the matter. It may be thrown out at the fans in an attempt to qualify the delays, but this isn't exactly a brand new TV show treading on new, unknown territory. You'd be hard pressed to get me to believe "budget discussion" could account for even ONE year's worth of delay. A YEAR is a very long chunk of time.

I think your second guess is probably a lot closer to the mark. Like I mentioned in my post above, I think that RD has become second-tier to all involved (except maybe Naylor, but he's but one man in a sea of one hundred). I truly think it only gets made when the planets align and everyone involved has a "break" from whatever their primary commitments may be.

Yeah, you would think, which just further reinforces my suspicion that the problem lies with those involved in the show and not the TV channel.

I don't work in the business either, but I've watched a lot of TV in the last 30 years, and I can safely say that I can't think of another TV show in that timeframe that went years between seasons because of "budget discussion" (or any other reason, actually). The only shows that took such hiatuses were shows that were actually cancelled, and then were renewed again years later (like Family Guy, for example). It just doesn't happen.

Oh, I'm sure we will and I'm sure it will be reminiscent of the tales of woe regarding the making of the movie.

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Don't worry peeps. Birds of a Feather is coming back! 8)

19. Sammy Psycho

Hmm yeah ! not the greatest of comedies to me personally but ok, and others do think it's great.

I do have to mention though after having a google about the show, It lasted 9 years and had 9 series'. That is 1 series per year. Red dwarf 25 years = 10 series, not a great statistic considering it is hugely superior. I know there was a problem with Craig Charles for one dormant period but there is no reason for there to have been 3 or more year gaps with the later series'. Get it sorted Dude's and make everyone happy. :-D

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ooh I wonder if they'll ask Matt Savage to reprise his role as Garth Stubbs. Seems unlikely concidering he gave up acting and became the keybord player in the Levellers. Could be interesting to see him step back into the roll though.

ps: And before you even think about it, don't be dissin' the Levellers! [​IMG]