RDXII Red Dwarf XII proves ratings success!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by DivineVarod, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

Where are these numbers from? They are talking about 700 800 people and BARB about 1 milion. Bit a difference.

3. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

When Series VIII premiered, it drew 8 million viewers. I know that viewing habits have changed, people have drifted from Red Dwarf and it's not on a terrestrial channel, but it should be pulling in at least 2 to 3 million an episode.

If that's a rating success, then I'm a lemon.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The BARB figures were "seven day data" and include people who watch on catch up - I assume!

Asclepius likes this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

This was 20 years ago, when Red Dwarf was main stream TV show.
    It had ratings about 4 millions, if I remember, when BtE aired. It was return after 10 years and it's not surprising that some people didn't watch new episodes after BtE.
    Trojan had 2 millions and X average was about 1,65 million (if memory serves). Now it's about million (acording to BARB) and the episodes are broadcasted week before on demand, so many people watch them here.
    I think these are still very good numbers for 30 years old TV show.

Lemon!

Abe likes this.
  6. Radio Pluto

I bloody hate the fragmentation, it's great that people have ways to enjoy telly anytime they like but it used to be an event. A new series of Red Dwarf, everybody sat down at the same time and watched it with real anticipation.

It's just a half-hour commodity now, disposable and forgotten.

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I feel there's a nucleus of a Red Dwarf episode there.

I wonder what people will reminisce about in the future with no cultural anchoring points, no real shared experiences, and growing up in isolated, perfectly tailored digital bubbles. A part of me thinks all of this 'progress' is already starting to unravel minds and homogenise cultures. It's not a luddite perspective, it's just a healthy skepticism of how things are going. I feel Red Dwarf would be a perfect show to do an episode about the downside of progress, and do what it does best - make a farce of it.

8. Radio Pluto

We'll film a fan episode, you supply the pantomime dress, I'll supply the horribly dated stereotypes!

Again!

9. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

It's all relative. Too many variables (catch up, viewings on app etc) - the ratings+DVD/blu-ray sales for Series X "surpassed Daves expectations" - hence 2 more series being commissioned. Series XI performed similarly, and it sounds like Series XII is virtually matching these numbers so far.

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Another thing is Doug tweeted last week that the viewing figures for Timewave actually went up in fact! Though whether they were higher than the first episode as well it wasn't made clear.

I notice the Barb consolidated 7-day figures for Siliconia were above 1 million and almost as high as Cured so that is good too.

But still like I said in another thread about Timewave, I really hope that the divisive nature of that episode doesn't collapse the ratings for the rest of the series if the more casual fans who really detested that episode desert series 12 totally.

Have to see but for now it's doing well and good for a show that is no longer on a mainstream channel and nigh on 30 years into its timeline!

11. UltraDevotee

On BARB, the consolidated 7 day ratings were 1.13 million for Timewave which is only 0.01 million below the first episode. So yes that is really amazing that midway through the series, the overnight rating was the highest so far and the consolidated 7 day rating was virtually the same as Cured.

So yes, series 12 has done very well with its first three episodes. However, I notice Doug and Richard have made no comment about the overnight figure for Mechocracy so I presume it is down. I suppose it is almost inevitable that the figure would go down upon episode four but Mechocracy was a very strong piece of classic Dwarf so it is a bit of a shame if it has reduced significantly.

I still feel although I personally found Timewave to be very good, because of its divisive nature that Doug was aware of from the mixed set reports it should have been in the Dear Dave slot and shown fifth in this series.

Obviously I don't know whether the viewing figure fall is significant but if it is Timewave might have destroyed the momentum of this twelfth run. Some people like myself liked it very much but some people have really hated it.

If it had been in fifth position broadcast then surely it would not affect momentum as everyone would still want to watch the finale Skipper as it looks set to be the last episode for at least 2 years and it looks like it could be a momentous one with Holly returning too.

I don't know...maybe I am wrong and the viewing figures will have held up still but I just feel although series 11's fifth in the run, Krysis, was a winner, maybe Doug should have sacrificed that slot a bit more this year.

Still have to see whether the TV viewing figures for Mechocracy have held up when BARB release them on Monday. Shame if they haven't as that was more like vintage RD, though for now I will just be satisfied with how the audience numbers for Timewave went up again!

12. UltraDevotee

Admittedly as I expected after the "marmite" Timewave, the viewing figures on Barb last Monday for Mechocracy were down somewhat below 1 million at 0.91m after 7 days.

I wish really there could have been some way of Timewave going out in fifth position so that the audience figures were not going to be hit as much but still really the final 3 episodes were in perfect order really, with them all being based more on the mothership and with M-Corp's end building up to the finale almost.

Still though, at least Red Dwarf was in the top 10 off the non-main channels still which is something at least and I suppose after a significant showing for the first three episodes they were always going to fall after all at least a bit. I worry that the viewing figures tomorrow will go down again for M-Corp but I do have hope that due to the finale Skipper trending highly on twitter that maybe they could go up a bit again for that sixth episode. Still, the numbers should be - especially given those for the first half of the series - enough surely for future Red Dwarf to be made.