red question

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by squeal mold, Jul 19, 2017.

1. squeal mold

squeal mold Flight Co-Ordinator

better do something I rarely do, actually talk about red dwarf. Most of us agree that give and take is the best red dwarf episode for a good few series. My question is this. How come its take from the end of series six to come up with this episode. They are obviously capable of it, so what took em? There have being loads of episodes, if not entire series from season 7 onwards that have being absolutely awful, which they were well aware were terrible. of course there has being the odd bright light, but why the dearth of decency?

opinions?

2. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

...I seem to remember most of us agreeing that Officer Rimmer was this show?

-We know Doug runs through his ideas about six at a time
    -It's not like we haven't had any good episodes since Rob left
    -If you insist, it probably just took a while for Doug to get used to Doug having left
    -You treat it as though six was perfect

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Personally, I thought Twentica was, but I seem to be the only person that thinks this.

4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Nope, me too Bluey.

5. squeal mold

I am not saying six was perfect, just a site better than a lot of the smeg that came after it, which actually doesn't take that much

6. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I liked Officer Rimmer the most I think. Also Krysis. But I do also like give and take. I guess what I am saying is that I dunno

7. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I'm another one that likes Twentica the most. Really through it would be Officer Rimmer since I normally like the Rimmer centric episodes the most, but it wasn't to my own surprise.

Series 10 I think tried to pack to much into some of the episodes. I really liked elements of the episodes but it felt like I was watching two or three episodes in one. Series 7 has grown on me the more times I rewatch it and my only problem with series 8 is Krytie TV, the second half of Pete with the canary turning into a dino and Back in the Red, it dragged on to long.

8. squeal mold

Series 8, for me, Is the total nadir of red dwarf as a series. Pete, oh God, Pete, I'm actually in mental pain thinking about that episide

9. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Series 8 stinks. Not even including Tex Rimmer could have saved it (well maybe)

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Could it be that it was an episode where Doug was actually allowed to deliver his full vision without having to make cutbacks, edits or rewrites due to outside factors? I'm not going to try and say that every other episode was somehow impeded but many clearly have been. Give and Take is such a fantastic episode for me because it feels so complete, it had everything: A classic chilling villain, strong comedy, a fun supporting character, an excellent science-fictiony concept AND continuity with the shows past (Stasis Leak & The Beginning) that didn't feel like a callback for the sake of it.
    Most importantly, every single character acted like their classic selves instead of some of the "authors voice" we've too often heard in recent series. For that reason the episode felt like a true throwback to the classic era.