Resolutions

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by jmc2000, Jan 2, 2018.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It's 2 January, so what are they and how are they going?

My main one is giving up nicotine. For years now I've been inhaling, chewing and sucking various nicotine replacement therapies. The problem with these is, there are fewer restrictions on when you can take them (you can chew gum at your desk for instance) and fewer natural "break points" (you get to the end of a cigarette quite quickly, whereas you can vape indefinitely if you manage the batteries wisely). I got more addicted to nicotine replacements than I ever got to real cigarettes.

My absolute "cliff edge" was midnight on New Year's Eve, but I started trying to quit a few days before, so I'd have the luxury of a false start or two without endangering my clean slate for 2018. I had one piece of nicotine gum on 30 December and nothing since, so am part way through my third day without any nicotine at all. Sorry to anyone I was grumpy/short-tempered with in the days leading up to New Year's Eve :-)

What are your resolutions, and how are you finding them?

FeeBee and Abe like this.
  2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Apology accepted Stu off Aqua!

Abe and jmc2000 like this.
  3. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I just have one this year, lose some weight. I'm around 14 and half stone at the moment and want to get to 13. Got a new FitBit for Christmas which should help, also just going to try and be sensible with food rather than making wholesale changes.

I had a pizza last night so not the ideal start but I've been sensible today so y'know, progress.

FeeBee likes this.
  4. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

My new years resolution is to do more horror threads. We've being desperately short of them on here for years now

5. Underdunn

Underdunn Catering Officer

I shall join you! After dieting all year I decided to throw caution to the wind during the xmas period and spent an entire fortnight binging on every piece of crap I could get my lips around...

...and I put on over half a stone again.

So now I'm back on the low-cals. Clearly my body wants to be fat and will do anything it can to make me pile weight on quickly, so my resolution this year is to fight it into submission.

FeeBee and Pembers like this.
  6. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I don't really have a resolution for this year, as I'll already have a lot going on, but I would like to mention that many years back we had a new year party at my house with a bunch of kids where they were all asked to write down resolutions that would be read out anonymously and some kid wrote his down as "look at more blood".

Nikki the Great likes this.
  7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

Omg, was this @neilold?

Abe likes this.
  8. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I don't usually have resolutions, but I try to live that way, so I can say in the end of the year: "It was good and succesfull year for me. I did things I wanted to do and I didn't waste my time." But I have some little ones for this year:
    • Write a lot. When you have an idea to story, write it and don't let it be forgotten.
    • Sport.
    • Enjoy life!

FeeBee and Pembers like this.
  9. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

:sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk:

Nikki the Great likes this.
  10. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Nah, none for me. Still working on last years actually. I've become fairly proficient with Linux (at least one particular distro) so progress on that, but my quitting smoking has been a total wash out. Until I get that done there's really nothing else resolution-wise I can think of.

FeeBee likes this.
  11. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't actually have any.

FeeBee likes this.
  12. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm glad you approve Asclepius

13. BigOleDummy

I don't worry about the nicotine addiction part as much as the "Tar" part of smoking. The Tar is what kills you and it kills you slowly. Nicotine in and of itself won't do that, in common doses of course as it IS a very toxic chemical. So if the Health part is why you want to quit, you're already ahead of the game. If its just the knowledge that you're a slave to a substance, then I wish you all the luck in the world and I mean that.

FeeBee likes this.
  14. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Yeah, I've got this one too. I quite liked the giving-up-nicotine one because it was something I could tick off in a day or two, lol. Whereas trying to shift the festive flab will take a little longer.

You're quite right BOD.

Basically, either the supplements didn't agree with me or I was getting too much nicotine, because I just often felt groggy and lethargic or got headaches, and it seemed to correlate to times when I was really smashing the vapes or gum. But I couldn't stop doing it. I'm not good at moderating, so I had to quit altogether.

You're quite right that it wasn't doing the same harm as smoking - it just made me feel a bit "ugh".

Three superb resolutions!

Which distro? I've been on Ubuntu for about six years now :-)

FeeBee likes this.
  15. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I got a national parks coloring book at the grand canyon so I am gonna do some of that I guess

16. BigOleDummy

Cinnamon Mint. Its easy for us Linux noobs to start with, but "Linuxy" enough to get a taste of what is possible. I'm loving it actually, spend at least half of a regular day online with it. Most days anyway. Looking to the day when I can ditch Windows completely. NO I do not hate Microsoft, and due to the fact that I'm a sorta gamer it may take awhile to be completely M.S. free. Gotta hand it to Nvidia for making such outstanding drivers available for Linux though. Open source hostile though they are.

17. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Resolutions that I had last year that I
    • Keep my debt down (Want the car loan paid off this year and my house loan reduced as much as possible without getting extra fees)
    • Regular exercise (had a few slumps last year when I was sick but did pretty well overall)
    • Write 1 million words in one year (2017 I did 679,707)
    And new ones for this year
    • Daily devotionals (and actually do them. The last timet his was a resolution was 2009 and I lasted 15 days. 4 days in so far and going well so far)
    • Big holiday to England for my birthday. (Have Dimension Jump booked but need to start booking other things like my plane ticket) (and I want to this to be the first of regular overseas/big holidays every 2-4 years)

Asclepius and Abe like this.
  18. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

How are you able to count this?!

19. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I have an excell document that records the titles of all my stories and the starting word count for the month/year. Started keeping a spreadsheet a few years ago during NaNoWriMo since I was working on multiple stories. Last two years I have done monthly documents, this year doing a yearly one because it got really annoying copying data across every month. Spent a few days making sure all the forumulas work properly on my new spreadsheet so I still know my daily/monthly totals.

Asclepius likes this.