Rimmer in Series X

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Oct 6, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

So then, Series X began with trailers that completely omitted him verbally then showed some that made quite a few people worried about the broadness of Chris Barrie's portrayal.

Episode 1 was a very Rimmer-centric episode in more ways that one and set a slightly new feel for the character that's going to be in interesting to follow in the next five.

My initial thoughts on watching the show were that Rimmer, as a character was given an interesting new lease of life. The opening scene despite its obvious 'bicycle joke' portrayed a much calmer Rimmer, one who still had his neuroses but who was learning to deal with them. it reminded me of the Rimmer who made a similar decision just prior to his death in IWCD and the idea that he is being less hard on himself is going to be interesting to follow given that we still need to learn just what it is he's been up to in the intervening 9 years.

Certainly there were shades of Ace in his mannerisms and vocal inflection when pretending to be Captain to impress Howard but there was also something else. It seemed like the crew, although still teasing him about it, have come to have some kind of genuine affection for Rimmer. The way they all went along with his ruse and just sort of accepted that "we all know the answer" to what kind of person he is was touching and added an interesting dynamic.

Chris Barrie's performance...hmm, Talkie mentioned in another thread that he got a Blackadder vibe from this series. I did too and I think the reason was the way the two Rimmers were acted. They both gave quite broad performances and, while there was only a smattering of the cartoonish Rimmer from series 8, it seems that we can't expect too much subtlety from Chris in his portrayal of Rimmer anymore. To be fair, the character was given less opportunities than I thought he would in this episode for more thoughtful moments as there were no real Lister/Rimmer alone moments, and he had generally boistrous material to work with.

On first watch I thought this was a major flaw of the episode but strangely I liked it more and more on the second and third watch.
    I think his direction is going to be one of the most interesting to watch in this series, especially as he potentially has the biggest new backstory to explore.

I definitely think he's the Rimmer from VII though.

2. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I'm sorry to bust your bubble, but what we have here is a loop episode, meaning the same problems that began are returned by the end (apart from the Stirmaster-- That was solved). Rimmer begins the episode resenting his older brother Howard, to the point it crashes his system. Kryten cleans up his files, which, combined with finding out he has no reason to resent his brother's success, makes Rimmer feel confident. He could, potentially, pass the Astronavs now, as Cat put it "That's probably why you couldn't pass the Astronavs, there was no more room left in your head." Anyway, point is, end of the episode, Howard gets immense success in death, so Rimmer resents him once more, and crashes. Rimmer began with brain-crashing resentment, fixed it, and by the end... got brain-crashing resentment. Everything returned to the beginning. a loop.

3. bedfordfalls

I don't really see why you thought you needed to explain all of that too me but good analysis anyway. :lol:

Of course Rimmer will always have that jealousy and resentment to a degree but his reflections on being too hard on himself were made before his resentment was drained away.

I'm not sure I would take Cat's analysis as scientific fact. Rather I prefer to think that Rimmer is correct, the paper is "fiendishly hard" and, as the books have indicated, Rimmer isn't actually interested or skilled in Astro-navigation which doesn't help. He just thinks it would be nice to have all the perks but he never puts the actual work in preferring to spend his time making revision timetables.

I'm interested in seeing episode 6 where the synopsis seems to indicate that his ability to utilise his true interests will be tested. :P

But regardless whether Rimmer's resentment is reset at the end of the show I still think this is a more human Rimmer in terms of his relationship with the crew. He's still a bastard to everyone else but with the crew he seems a lot more informal, like he's given up on trying to kid them and has actually become a "Dwarfer".

Time will tell of course. 8)

4. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

A lot of it is the age of the actors. At that age it is harder to act immature. Even Lister is more mature compared to previous series. He says as much in one episode in Series 8.

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Don't bring up series 8 please.

6. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Oh I don't know. I'm 45 and seem to manage it quite nicely.

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I think the broadness came more from Rimmer's captain facade rather then feeling like he had sunk back into series 8 mode. I actually didn't think his performance was particularly bad here.

8. I quite like rimmsy in the new series, he@ a trooper.

9. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

This is the way i see it:
    Rimmer went off to become Ace Rimmer and probably still is.
    The Nanobots in Red Dwarf series 8 resurrected him, he dies. Gets brought back as an hologram but The ship has got the last updated memories on disc of Rimmer before he became Ace, So the nanobot Rimmer would then have been uploaded with these memories. If not he has had 15 years to become the very same sorta rimmer that was in series 1-7. 2 of the very same Rimmers are now out there.

I don't know why or how Howard was a hardlight hologram tho or why Lister never asked if he could touch him or not when he went to do so.

10. bedfordfalls

Pretty simple answer to the first question. A softlight hologram would have made a pretty lousy vending machine repairman. How would he have held the 14B?. :-D

11. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

If he was softlight, Howard wouldn't have asked him to do the Touch T on him.

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Im not sure where to ask this question but in a few places people have posted that they assume BTW happened before RDX, but BTE's box says it takes place after series 10, and I'm sure it must mean literal S10 and not the despair squid S10

13. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

No, it doesn't. Back to Earth takes place after the despair squid series 10. Remember, in THAT universe where RD is a TV show, RD was not cancelled, making it differ from our reality. In that universe, the hypothetical series 9 and 10 are just the unseen events between series 8 and BTE that we didn't get to see. Its all just a Squid hallucination.

Besides, if this was before BTE, Lister would NOT have made the "If Kochanski walks through that door now and wants sex..." joke in Trojan, since he would think she'd be DEAD. If he routinely visits her memorial grave to read to her, I doubt he'd make such a tasteless joke.

14. bedfordfalls

2009? :lol:

Seriously though, the answer to this question ought to have its own sticky by now.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The FAQ section does state that BTE is officially Series IX, too. Hey ho.

The problem is clearly that when Doug wrote BtE, he probably never thought a "series 10" would ever happen. So it seemed a fairly safe "future series" to set the hallucinated BtE adventure after. An attempt was made to distinguish the fake series X from the real one by putting "series ten" in quotation marks on the DVD cover (which itself had to have that description, because that was what appeared in the show), but evidently some people still missed it!

But basically, to spell it out, there is no jumping around in continuity. BtE is set after Series VIII. RDX is set after BtE. That's simple, unequivocal fact.

16. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I thought that Lemons was unfortunately one of the weakest episodes for Rimmer in the show`s history. Obviously there was the Shakespeare scene but also Rimmer had suddenly become the ideas man which felt wrong. I`m not sure why he was the one suggesting how they should get home.

Plus, Rimmer now doesn`t seem to be a figure of antagonism any more. The old relationship with Lister now seems to have gone.

17. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Is that a 14B? Does it look even remotely like a 14B?

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Totally agree. After 3 episodes I think Rimmer has definitely been toned down in terms of annoyance. In fact if you had never watched the show before you could think that him & Lister are mates! :roll:

19. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Looks like a 14F to me.

20. bedfordfalls

Probably because they are. They've been living together for 25 years and both are now surely closer to each other than anyone else they've ever met in their lives!

There's still the obvious desire to one-up and mock the other but I see them more like squabbling brothers now and I kind of enjoy the way the actors are now visabley smiling after one mocks the other, like they've both learned to take it on the chin.

It's a natural evolution. At the outset people can rub each other the wrong way but after you grow accustomed to it you do start to appreciate their little quirks (as Lister admits to in Blue). I mean, take yourself, I've even seen regulars defending your angry rants on here of late as "classic Simulant" and telling newcomers to back off you. :lol:

He was like this in Tikka to Ride too and I remember finding it interesting at the time. There's a chance the crew have started to respect him a little more. He saved them all in Out of Time (I'm not having that stupid explanation at the start of Tikka as canon :P) and then went away to be Ace. I think he's definately looked at as more than just a the guy to make fun of these days. He's become a bit of an authority figure (albeit an authority that is mocked and teased whenever possible).