Rimmer isn't enough of a smeg head

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ReflexReaction, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

I said it after the live recordings I went to and I'll say it again - while Red Dwarf X really is good, Rimmer's character is still too nice. He is not as much of a smeg head as he has been in the past, and it just doesn't feel right. Mr Naylor, if you're reading this, please make him a bit more of a hated douche-bag in XI - it flows a lot better and generally results in his character being funnier...

(On a side note, I felt that Kryten was a little too unformal too - he needed to be a touch more mechanical.)

2. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Why should he be, they've been living together on Red Dwarf for 15 years now... They've changed, developed. Lister is a bit more mature, and likewise Rimmer has become less pathetic. Characters have to develop... If you think of series 8, the main issue I had was that all that character development dissapeared in favour of caricatures of the characters from the early series.

I think the characters need to develop, or there'll be no sense of time having past

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I don't know, with the odd exception - e.g. Meltdown - Rimmer has never been as much of a prat as he was in the early episodes. The "softening" of him started with Me2, and can be traced through episodes like Thanks for the Memory, Holoship and Stoke. I think Rob and Doug said themselves that they realised during series I that if they kept Rimmer permanently in his original "deeply unpleasant" mode, the show would have got tiresome quite quickly.

I like that his character's shown development. He's still a neurotic, self-centred mess of a person, but I like that you can see clear background reason for it, and sympathise with him at the same time as laughing at some of his idiocy. It's what makes him one of the best characters on TV - he's got depth.

And I really like the way his and Lister's relationship seems to have settled for this series - they still wouldn't choose one-another as friends, and they still needle at one-another, but in "serious" situations they get on and do what needs to be done, and on occasion can even actually have a laugh WITH, rather than AT, one-another.

4. trollsb

trollsb First Technician

I'm not sure why you felt he was being too nice? He was generally still being a twat just not as much to Lister, who to be fair spent the whole episode on the phone... Short of taking the phone off him and smashing it it does limit the interaction.

5. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

He's just lost some of his, excuse my french, "****ness". I know that he needs to have developed, and would get along with people better, but he no longer insults anyone. For example, when he was talking about the exam with Kryten, he could have been a little more "what would you know you smegging machine". I just felt he was too nice, and I am not just talking about episode 1, but in the other 2 episodes I've seen too.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

RR, consider this an official warning for language. You've been around long enough to know that by no means is that word in any way acceptable to use here.

7. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

He should join G&T, they seem to be a lot less strict about words like f**k.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Rimmer has always had more sides to him then just being a git, well apart from series 8

9. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

He lied to his dying brother to make HIMSELF feel good.

Seems smeggy to me.

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Living with others for as long as they have leads to people trying to get along, I'm sure he will insult someone but at this point they are more used to each others company.

11. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Rob and Doug were right. Rimmer needs to lighten up every now and then, as just being an anal-retentive bastard all of the time would just get tiring and repetitive. The Rimmer we meet in 'The End' would not have partied and got drunk with the guys as we see in 'Thanks for the Memory', which is the key episode for Rimmer's emotional growth. Underneath it all, he just wants to be liked and loved, but because he's so blinded by thinking position and posessions make him a success, in lieu of actually being a nice person and redirecting his efforts towards something he likes and enjoys. Despite what he says, Rimmer isn't really interested in or talented enough to be an officer. He'd be better off being some sort of military historian or something.

12. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I don't understand how anyone can watch that episode and not think he was being a smeghead - how many 'nice' people do you know that would take that much joy from their brother dying envious of them? Not to mention the fact he put on the whole charade to make Howard think that he was the commander of the Trojan.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

But the T word & the B word are? :roll:

& standard practice on forums is for warnings to be sent via PM.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

No, please don't. It'd make him a one dimensional, boring charicature of himself. As has been said anyway, Rimmer's still pretty dispicable. With broadly equal genes, upbringing, career and when they were all placed in a dangerous situation Howard deliberately took a bullet for Arnold, and how did Arnold repay him as Howard lay dying? He lied in order to make him resentful in his final moments.

...and you reckon he's too nice?

15. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

The rules state that mild swearing is OK, essentially what is said in the show is acceptable as long as it's justified. Just because Cat has said 'smeg' and Howard called Rimmer a 'twat' doesn't mean that we are allowed to go around posting stuff where these words are used every two seconds. There's no real need for swearing anyway, it's only Red Dwarf at the end of the day, and if you really want to swear, asterisk it so people understand the point but don't have to suffer reading foul mouthed posts for the sake of it.

16. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Welcome to free speech.