Rimmer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Cpkirk, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Cpkirk

Cpkirk Skutter

When Back to Earth starts, is the Rimmer we see the Rimmer from the early dwarf, or series 8 rimmer revived as a Hologram? Is there anything to explain this?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

There's been some previous discussion about this. The short version is: Doug hints very strongly in the DVD commentary that it's the original Rimmer, and the dialogue about having previously encountered a despair squid seems to back this up.

BTW, on the subject of your signature image - the line from the show is "Mr Flibble's very cross." :-)

3. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

I find it hard to believe that the original Rimmer would slip straight back into his original role with the gang after supposedly going round being a hero for so long. but then again i also find it hard to believe that he would have been a hero in the 1st place. probably came back and made the ressurected Rimmer swap places with him ... or something

4. southblue

southblue Third Technician

Everybody has their own personal theory on the Rimmer situation - things like this are what makes Red Dwarf so great!

For the record, I like to think that Ace Rimmer comes back to save the bacon of series 8 Arnie. However, despite living the life of a hero, Ace's personality and reputation has been smegged up by the original Rimmer we know and love. After saving series 8 Rimmer and reuniting him with the other Dwarfers on the mirror universe ship, he convinces him to take over the reigns as Ace. This turns out to be in the self interest of original Arnie as his actions have placed Ace's life is in mortal danger.

But like I said, that's just my opinion. Filling in the gaps yourself can be quite fun

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I would think it makes logical sense that series 8 Rimmer dies and a Rimmer hologram is brought back by Holly with all the knowledge and personality of the Rimmer that left to be Ace. Why wouldn't they have his personality on file?

6. southblue

southblue Third Technician

I have to admit that that was my initial thought too. But I just couldn't get my tiny little head around the concept of the personality files available on Red Dwarf would be ones of the crew resurected by the Nanobots. Furthermore, if they had moved over to the mirror-image Red Dwarf, wouldn't Rimmer's personality record be the one where he is Captain?

That said, what happened to the original crew's personal record disk that was retrieved from the crashed Starbug? Is that still in their possession? Would that contain personality data? I can't remember now. Perhaps I should rewatch series xiii again before my brain explodes, it doesn't help when my memory keeps confusing the aired ending with the alternative ending.

Either way, I think it is safe to assume the original Rimmer returns one way or another.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Doug Naylor does suggest it's the original on the commentary. Which isn't to say that's 'true' until it's actually mentioned on-screen of course. Ideas change, etc, and if it's not written it's not in stone (in my mind anyway.) but I think it makes the most sense.

8. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I like to think that the BTE Rimmer is a backup of the original, probably taken from his data file in Starbug's wreckage. Plus, Kryten made a detailed analysis of his lightbee in 'Rimmerworld', so he probably has a fair idea on how it works, and so was probably able to build a new hard-light lightbee for this new Rimmer. Either that or he picked up a few spare lightbees during 'Legion'.

9. bedfordfalls

I think the more interesting question is how long this new Rimmer has been around. If as most are speculating he's a "new" hologram of the old holgram Rimmer then is it likely he was activated for the very same purpose as he originally was in the books (i.e not just to save Lister's future sanity but to end a destructive cycle of drinking himself into oblivion)? If that is the case then I'd guess he was rebooted at some point after Kochanski departed as really unless "Ace" came home, why else would they reboot Rimmer as opposed to anyone else.
    The most likely reason seems to be that "old Iron balls" has what it takes to keep Lister sane in such a situation.

10. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

My theory on Rimmer;

At the conclusion of Season VIII, Rimmer was face to face with Death and(IIRC, I have not seen the end of Only the Good... in some time), Kochanski, Lister, Kryten and the Cat had gone through the dimensional portal to the alternate universe. I think this new Rimmer died, leaving the crew in the alternate reality.

The original Rimmer, now gallavanting as Ace, meets up with the original crew. Some form of calamity happens to the Dwarf in the new dimension re-wipes out the crew and forces them all to Dimension hop back to their own reality using "Ace's" drive jury-rigged to Red Dwarf. Turns out Rimmer was terrible at the role of Ace and was actually a wanted felon for botching his "heroic" attempts, so he welcomed a return to his home dimension and once again, the Red Dwarf crew was stranded on the Small Rouge One 3 million years into deep space.

Lots of gaps to fill in but that's the gist of it!

11. bedfordfalls

The main one being whether a mirror universe is the same thing as an alternate dimension...expect a garbled explanation found only in deleted scenes of the series 9 DVD if this is the case :?

I really don't think I like the whole idea of Rimmer failing at being a hero though, his character progression was heading in that direction anyway with his famous "I say fight!" line from Out of Time.

12. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

I think it would be funny if "ace" Rimmer had returned after series 8 but to him he had only been gone for an hour due to some time space swirly thing. it would explain how the original Rimmer could return without being changed into a more heroic and changed character.

13. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Not as funny as it would be if the Wildfire drive locked onto the replacement Rimmer in his first jump. "No, I've only been away two minutes."