rob grant

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, May 8, 2010.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

sorry if this has been discussed before but what was rob grants opinion of BTE, is there a link where i can find out

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think he watched it (at least he hadn't at the time of his interview with Robert Llewllyn on, Carpool, (link here, scroll down). Of course curiosity might have gotten the better of him since then.

3. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

There's far too many contradictions between rob and Doug!!!

I feel I should name them!

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I know this is six years old, but I think I heard a radio interview with Rob Grant once in which he claimed to have hated season 7 so much that he didn't even bother watching 8 (which is shame as I'd love to know what he made of that), so I doubt he's seen BTE too.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Rob grant said on Robert Llewellyns carpool interview that for him he had to be drunk to watch series 7 because it was like watching an Ex wifes wedding video, there was just nothing in it for him so he apparently didn't watch series 8 (lucky guy)

i am gonna take a guess and say he probably hasn't watched BTE or Series X

6. Ant the Dragon

Ironic really considering it was his arrogant behaviour that caused the divide of the fans!!!

7. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I WON'T bother in starting off a new thread for this as I know it's been discussed countless times. But I was thinking lately...if you were Rob Grant, why the hell wouldn't you come back to Red Dwarf and write again. All I know is that he disliked series VII and saw it as his show that other people were manipulating into something he didn't like...but surely with BTE and Series X through to the new series we're seeing it return almost full circle to what Rob Grant loved writing for? I just know if I was ever in a writing capacity for Red Dwarf I would NEVER give it up.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Sadly i think there are many reasons

1. The show has evolved quite abit since rob left so him coming on board would leave him kinda lost

2. Doug Naylor wants to direct the show now with his son now producing so doug is probably happy to make the show alone and what would rob gonna do just be a Co-writer?

I know quite a few years ago (6 or 7) rob said he had a thought about possibly writing a new red dwarf novel but he must have changed his mind since nothing happened and it hasn't been mentioned since.

I'd like if rob came back but the chances are 95% slim

9. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Like we learned in Legion, the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.

Ego or no ego, Rob Grant contributed heavily to the quality of Red Dwarf. I love Doug, but he clearly needs Rob.

10. Ant the Dragon

An incredible insult to Doug!

Never amazes me how when people assume Doug is the weaker writer or "needs Rob" - no one can name a single thing Rob has written or produced since!

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I didn't mean it as an insult.

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Rob Grant wrote a book called "FAT" a few years ago....I never read it but it is something I can name, he also made "Dark Ages" and "The Strangerers"....but both of those are pretty terrible.

13. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I don't think it matters too much anymore if Rob enjoyed or despised BTE seeing as he isn't back on the production team for RDXI-XII. I know people often perceive him as the missing cog but really by now he is like that ex-girlfriend you had before life was bombarded with responsibility.

I don't know the story of how he left but I assume that negotiations for a return would have happened by now if it was ever meant to be. Perhaps he's simply moved on from the show and isn't interested revisiting 'old work'.

As a fan I was satisfied with RDX and while it has some moments that were seriously cringe worthy, it also contained moments that reverted me back to my childhood self that watched these Smegheads on BBC.

Room for improvement is a good thing right? I haven't seen any RDXI yet so am cautiously optimistic but if it's a solid improvement on RDX then I will indeed be a very happy and appreciative fanboy. Long live all these Smegheads!

14. Ant the Dragon

No I know. I wrote that wrong.

What I meant was it always feels like people assume rob was the stronger writer...

But on paper - that clearly isn't the case.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Not really, its like the novels also as when they split and both wrote separate novels they both didn't compare to the ones they wrote together, IMO they both felt like something was missing.

Thats basically it, it might not be the case of rob is the stronger writer but at the same time who said doug is either? its about 2 minds are better then one in this regard and Doug has made a fair few mistakes with the show since rob left which has pretty much become a lets pretend those bad patches didn't happen now and just move on.

The show was at its best when they wrote together.

16. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I always think of Rob and Doug when watching this episode, particularly as they had previously* used 'gestalt entity' to describe their own writing partnership. How sad and ironic that this idea is explored in one of the last episodes they wrote together.

*well, 'previously' from a fan's perspective anyway, they probably wrote that Omnibus intro after writing series VI.

17. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

I would love.... and I mean LOVE.... if Rob would at least write an episode for a future series. Surely he would enjoy doing that? And Doug could still direct it?