Rob Grant's The Strangerers

Discussion in 'PARALLEL DIMENSIONS' started by Dismembers, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Watched this recently. It was a Sci-Fi comedy drama in 2000 written by Rob Grant and starring Mark Williams ({Petersen) and Jack Docherty.

It was quite good I thought, lots of familiar faces involved in addition to Mark and Jack and had a nice flow to it, good episodic TV.

If I were to criticise I'd say it veered from slapstick comedy to serious drama too quickly, meaning both felt out of place at times, also there was quite a lot going on but we never really found out why, the show ended on a cliff hanger and no more were made.

Anyone else seen it?

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I have seen the first couple of episodes. It had interesting ideas, but I got bored with it very quickly. It's a shame, as I do like Rob Grants writing, at least in his novels, stand-alone and otherwise.

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I watched it back again a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. It does feel a little disjointed at times, although in some ways I kind of like the weird feel of the pacing and..unusualness. Overall I thought it was a pretty decent show for the most part. And interesting to see our Rob (or ros?) doing some sci-fi that isn't Red Dwarf. Shame it got cancelled really.

4. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I never even heard of it

5. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

It's called The Strangerers and it was written by Rob Grant.

It was shown by Sky One in 2000.

It starred Mark Williams (Petersen) and Jack Docherty.

6. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I have tried to watch it a few times, when it first came out I watched a few episodes but didn't get into it, over the years I've tried and tried again but have never got past 4 episodes. It is just painfully bad.

7. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator