Robert Llewellyn's new Red Dwarf series blog post

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by GuffyGuy, Dec 2, 2010.

1. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

@Bobbyllew posted about the following on his blog earlier tonight:

"In early 2010 Dave announced that they had commissioned Red Dwarf for a new series of 6 episodes. Doug Naylor has been writing the new scripts, none of the cast have seen them. I am in regular contact with Craig Chalres, Danny John Jules and Chris Barrie. We talk, we ask each other 'have you heard anything?' The answer is always no."

I assume he's been inundated with tweets asking him for all the gossip, and sadly he just doesn't have much to say in reply. Good to know the cast are still up for it, however.

For more info...

2. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I'm starting to seriously doubt that this will happen now. Many other series seem to be able to sort cast availability out etc. No official announcement, only rumours, it doesnt bode well.

3. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Unfortunately I have to concur and have thought so for a while to be honest :crying: It's become a parallel deja vu with the movie. The momentum has probably gone now and perhaps the general audience as a whole considers B2E as the natural conclusion. Considering B2E was so successful statistically with audience share a new series seemed like a no brainer. There's obviously some great insurmountable hurdle impeding proceedings which as outsiders we won't be privy to. Shame really as RD has many more light years of potential left. So if a new tv series is not to be, a graphic novel/novel or other book of the movie that never was is maybe the natural next step and then another novel or two, or some short stories. The light hasn't officially gone out yet though.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Many thought the same after Series VIII but then Back To Earth came along.

This leads me to think there's still a very good chance we'll get another series, albeit it might be longer than we originally hoped.

5. GuffyGuy

I'm a bit confused.

It's not been THAT long since Back to Earth and according to Llewellyn Doug Naylor's just working on the new scripts. That's not a quick process, and i'm glad he's taking his time over it. Sure, there may be unforeseen hiccups ahead like funding, shooting schedule etcetera but as far as I can tell this new series is no where near that far into production. For all we know everything is proceeding to plan. Why are you guys so negative? I mean, i'm just waiting for Naylor to finish writing the scripts then we'll see what happens next.

Unless of course, you know something I don't?

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Indeed. The mistake is in making assumptions at all. And also in assuming that 'no news' means 'no progress'. (Or, indeed, that slow progress is the same as no progress.)

If you base your entire thinking on the information that dribbles out - information that, often, comes out by mistake rather than as part of an 'inform the fans' plan - you're bound to go on this rollercoaster. I know it's hard, but the smart thing is to remain indifferent and realise that, in reality, you don't know anything either way. 'Better' or 'worse' are based on meaningless signs applied to a guessed current state.

The last new-info tweet Doug made on the subject, at the end of October, was: Progress on Big Thursday. 4 Weeks then contracting cast can begin I'm told. Time will tell.

So, that's a process that could begin round about now. Have you heard this is happening? No, and you haven't heard it isn't either. The only way to reassure people would be to tell them if cast negotiations have begun. And then when they worry again, tell people how they're going. And then tell them that they've been done.

I can't imagine the cast, agents or companies being keen on this. It is, frankly, none of anyone's business.

Doug did, of course, also tweet to clear up the way the hacks at Digital Spy re-edited an interview to sound like I'd confirmed the new series. Something that, frankly, only reinforces everyone involved's feelings that speaking publicly before the whole thing's locked down is a mistake, since it always get misinterpreted.

Silence is neither good or bad news. It is neutral. If observers keep that in mind, it'll be a smoother ride.

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

My impression from the Doug tweets is that it is almost a certainty for being made.....just like the Red Dwarf movie back in the day. Hence the caution in prematurely announcing anything. Until there is a set in stone contract for production to begin, I don't think we'll hear anything other than speculation. For fans, it means playing the waiting game....even if the excitment makes all six of your nipples tingle!!:lol:

sorry!

8. GuffyGuy

I'd say it was different from the Red Dwarf movie - because we know that Dave ARE interested. I don't know if Doug will ever finish the scripts or if Dave will ever put the series into production, but I DO know that both parties want to make this happen and from that I can take hope.

Regardless, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

9. ori-STUDFARM

The reason I made that comparison is from something Doug wrote on his Twitter.

....Although reading that, the movie may have been closer to being made than the next series currently is....Didn't they go as far as doing a lot of the pre-production?...Great! Now I'm getting disheartened. lol

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

'Looked like' being the key thing there. 'Was interpreted as being'. As I said, it's these readings and assumptions that cause the trouble and we'd all be happier without them.

When it was announced that GNP and Dave were developing a new series, it was said scripts had been commissioned. Which isn't the same as saying the series is a lock for production, is a "dead cert". A dead cert is announcing a production commission and locked shooting dates. (And actually, as the strike during RD's first year proves, even that ain't a 100% guarantee.)

The movie comparison is interesting since it had investment, was in pre-production with a design department, storyboard artists, rehearsals, costume fittings, make-up head casting, pre-vis videos... Talking about what seems to be a dead cert, that was the one. GNP haven't done any of those things for Dave as yet, and yet people feel the new series is more likely than the movie?

There you have it, that's what I mean: this isn't something anyone can control or stop. Interpretation and gut reaction is driving responses that need to be tempered with a little more reserve and common sense...and a repeated mantra that the information the fans have is unlikely to be a true reflection of how it is.

11. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

It's a bunch of thirsty dwarfers on a forum for godsake. If this type of behavior is gonna happen, it's gonna happen HERE. Let the conspiracy theories and wild tales roll i say. I'll be sitting here with my coffee at the back laughing until the new series arrives:-D

12. GuffyGuy

13. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I heard Bill Clinton will be Ace Rimmer:-D

The Duke of Manchester is funding the new series. His name is Dave apparently;-)

14. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

His brother was Princess Diana, or so the legend goes.

Also, Red Dwarf Series Ten will provide us with an episode that flashes back to before the accident, and Craig Charles is already scheduled to have some photos taken of him as reference for the 3D stunt double that falls into the cargo bay (breaking his spine in three places).

Chris Barrie has stated that he can't laugh hard enough to "nearly puke" so the laugh will be provided by Hank Azaria, who has vomited on several occasions while laughing.

15. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Either way it all just seems a bit like the new series is on a knives edge, and if Dave really wanted it they would be pushing and bullying people into getting things together. Nobody seems to know anything.

I'm going to work on the assumption that the series is in 'development hell' until I hear some big official announcement. No more rumours or tweets will get me excited until then. Thats the mistake I made with the movie.

16. ori-STUDFARM

I have a heard a rumour that a decision maybe being made or announced to RD staff and cast tomorrow night at a UKTV get together. Lets hope it's a celebratory get together...

...the source was one of the cast, but NOT BobbyLlew. Fingers crossed hey!

17. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Finding it a bit funny that the more people state they are not going to get their hopes up, the more comments on here pop up wondering what will happen.

My offer to picket for a new series still stands. ;-) :-D PS: I am not above begging either.

18. ori-STUDFARM

Actually, I may have mis-read the e-mail. It might just be Doug who is attending the shindig....

19. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I'm with you on joining the picket Yeckel :-)

20. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

There's a Facebook petition to get Obama to play Holly