Safe Spaces....

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Ant E, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

what are you thoughts on this new and somewhat American concept?

Given at how many people on the forum have been offended by stuff, should the garbage pod be a safe space?!

Discuss below. And someone tag deep_space. He might want one.

Tell me your thoughts. But know this, this topic is very much NOT. A safe space!!!!

2. Ant E

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's neither a new concept nor an American one. It's just one that right-wing Americans have decided to make a big deal out of.

Abe, FeeBee and BigOleDummy like this.
  4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

By the way, by definition, this thread is a safe space, because it's subject to rules regarding appropriate content that are there to protect users of the forum. So there.

Abe, FeeBee and BigOleDummy like this.
  5. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

This thread seems like its deliberate bait for people with my views, and in that case its entirely worked

you are a total git for even mentioning the word. It is used by left wingers to try to justify their own agenda, and then when anyone challenges it claim its their fault and its their invention. Typical left wing deflection tactics. You here it a lot on American colleges, which is why I'm glad I live this far away from them. Knowing the amount of liberal pc cupcake cucked white kinghts there is on this site, i'd say its adored on here. If it comes into as popular over here, then I've only got 9 words to say. I don't wanna live on this planet any more

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  6. Ant E

Errr it’s not a “bait” in the slightest. It’s a DE-BATE! Ya know, where you air different views. I didn’t expect someone like you to be so precious @squeal mold

I think it seems like a slightly ridiculous concept. I get rules such as not insulting or swearing at people (as per, say, rules on this very forum) because let’s be honest, if you need to be violent or throw insults you usually have lost the argument by default. I’m no Tory (that’s not to say I would never vote for them because I don’t believe in following one single party for life because no leader is ever the same) but these moronic protesters who turn up and throw things at Boris Johnston when he arrived at the Tory conference were incredibly weak and very hypocritical.

The problem I have with safe spaces is one of the definitions of it are you cannot use “criticism” or cause “emotional harm”.

As demonstrated in three comments above, everyone has a different level of what they consider emotional or criticism! Some people have thicker skins than others (From my experience, the far left and far right are usually more easily offended but I put that down to mock outrage)!

So I don’t get how a safe space can be established.

7. neilold

I'm still leaving!

8. Ant E

Doesn’t that mean you don’t like criticism?!! Or you’ve created your own safe space?!

9. neilold

nope, it means I've taken all I can stand, if we get to that point that is

10. Ant E

Where you off to, Neil? Anywhere nice?

11. neilold

from what I am escaping from, it will be nice by simple definition

12. Ant E

I'm insulted!!!!

Shame. Thought you of all people would put forward a decent debate on this. I will have to await the return of @kry102001 and @KrytensPenis

13. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    I think safe spaces belong to children and for them its a decent concept. The right wingnuts have taken it and blown it totally , crazily out of proportion. Like they do so many things I might add. "Lets take something that CAN have some good for some people/class and turn it into a poor me kind of thing". The wingnuts cry and moan about "snowflakes" but THEY are the ones who get bent out of shape when you try to talk about facts and not opinions.

Now, I'm leaving this thread alone because I'm getting ready for work, and cannot afford to get started. If its still viable later I'll comment then.

But to answer your question, No.

Abe and FeeBee like this.
  14. neilold

Ok, for an honest thought on it. Yes, I think safe spaces are ridiculous, for kids, maybe I can see their aims. For adults no. I don't need or want one. I can stick up and think for myself. I don't need a safe space, and kids at college definitely don't. I can see how they may protect vulnerable people in certain circumstances. But for the rest of us, no, God no

FeeBee and Ant E like this.
  15. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

I thought they were a myth?

Are people that offended in real life?

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Are LGBTQ people really that offended by being subject to homophobic/transphobic abuse?

Shockingly, yes, they are.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  17. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

I wasn't talking the gay community specifically, don't start. There are legitimate and powerful reasons for LGBT rights and concerns to be addressed as people deserve as much equality and ability to live their lives as fully as anyone else is able to. I'm talking about over-sensitive idiots tagging everything with a modicum of behaviour or satire that they don't like as offensive and demanding it be banned or reined in or outright trying to shame them. Safe spaces are a ridiculous concept and not being offended or traumatised by something is as easily fixed by removing yourself from the situation, going home and having a quiet think about your life choices.

The internet gave everyone a platform to air their views to the entire world and everyone is free to air them.

Sadly, some people took that offer up.

18. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Safe Spaces things reminds me of the Safe Schools thing that they are trying to bring into Australia at the moment which seems to be more along the lines of beng a nanny state then allowing parents to raise there own kids the way they want within reason. Nearly everything that I took to school for lunch is on the banned foods list. (chips/crisps, biscuits, certain sandwich spreads (which includes vegemite on some schools lists because it's to high in salt), cakes and a lot of baked goods and I think even certain fruits are banned because they are to high in natural sugar.) The food changes were introduced the year after I left highschool so I got to eat jelly, pies, sasuage rolls, pizza for tuckshop whenever day of the week and not just on red food days or however they colour coded certain food groups.)

The whole list of things for Sace Schools gives me a headache and makes me really glad I don't have kids. It has a lot in common with Safe Spaces which I think it's based on.

I'm with Neil Old, I sometimes want to leave the planet. Or move to a really remote place with no one so I don't have to deal with other people.

The thickness of my skin changes from week to week and day to day. Normally most things I just brush aside and doesn't affect me in the slightest. Last week I just couldn't deal with much criticism or drama at all because to much was already going on with other things which is why I have stayed out of certain threads here. This week I feel that I can deal with those threads, just haven't gone into them yet.

What I don't like is people who intentionally bully others and who go out of there way to hurt other people.

Or intentionally break rules that have been set out for whatever reason.

Has anyone else besides myself actually read all the forum rules? I probably need to reread them to refresh myself on certain things but I went through them when I first joined up (I needed something to do the however many days it took for my account to be approved) and when this new forum was released.

Ant E likes this.
  19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

My entirely relevant point was that safe spaces specifically came into existence as a way for college campuses to provide a place that clearly and explicitly prohibited homophobia, transphobia and other forms of hate speech. So in that sense, they're not a "ridiculous concept" at all. The extent to which they've evolved beyond that purpose into precious, easily-offended individuals demanding that nobody be allowed to say anything they don't like is grossly overstated by right-wing commentators in the hope of whipping up sentiment for their foolish causes.

As for "over-sensitive idiots tagging everything with a modicum of behaviour or satire that they don't like as offensive and demanding it be banned", that has absolutely nothing to do with the concept of safe spaces as they actually exist, and is just a classic piece of generic textbook "PC-gone-mad" ranting.

What I find amusing is that the people who harp on about "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" and "triggering" are usually the first to hit the block button on Twitter, or demand control over which journalists can cover their events.

BigOleDummy and Abe like this.
  20. neilold

it tends to be things on the edges of these actual definitions tend to really aggravate me. Things like being

non-binary
    a toilet for a man woman, or transgender
    banning of certain phrases
    pulling down of statues because of 'what they stand for'
    'micro aggression'
    'hate speech'
    'potential' 'rapists'

I'm being very generic here, but when I here these things mentioned my hairs start to bristle. Also such things as name calling being classed as 'assault' and questioning things being classed as 'Nazism'

FeeBee and Ant E like this.