Safe Spaces....

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Ant E, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Ugh don’t get me started on school dinners!!!!

Pre 2000 - were there as high obesity levels in kids as their are today? No!

Pre 2000 - did kids eat just as much, if not more sugar in their food? Yes!

The problem isn’t diet - it’s the decline in exercise! The blame falls just as much at the school as it does the parents! Eat what the hell you like - just make sure you get enough veg and exercise

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

My entirely relevant point was that safe spaces specifically came into existence as a way for college campuses to provide a place that clearly and explicitly prohibited homophobia, transphobia and other forms of hate speech. So in that sense, they're not a "ridiculous concept" at all.
    Seb, the very fact that you, or some other element you believe in has even decided just what exactly hate speech is and what is and isn't acceptable to be said to such people, is in itself a 'ridiculous concept' and entirely highlights my deflection statement originally

3. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

Don't lump me in with those bastards on the right either. Their controlling, hateful bile is as offensive to me as the regressive left.

I'm a libertarian who doesn't have much faith in people but I will never, ever allow for one person or the mob to impose themselves on anyone else out of a blinkered sense of righteousness or what they define as right or wrong. That goes for all sides, including those I rally against. For all my differing opinions, I will never seek to silence them and I believe in the power of debate.

4. neilold

Schools are schools, a place of learning, not a place for fat lazy parents to drop their kids and forget about their responsibilities. If parents weren't too bone idle to learn their kids exercise or have then spend ten minutes outside whithout a phone in their hand, then the kid may not be so obese in the first place, and we wouldn't be raising a generation of kids that essentially are struggling with such simple tasks as communicating with others.

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. neilold

I equally believe in the power of debate. I have spoke up about free speech on this very forum numerous times. Of course that doesn't mean that I agree with everything anybody says by a long chalk

Ant E likes this.
  7. neilold

what is that picture Seb, and what is its relevance?

8. Radio Pluto

Seb, you may mock but it's true. The horror stories I've heard about parents who will simply not engage with their children in homework or any sort of extra-curricular teaching. They then berate the school and the teachers for their children not knowing simple things, how to tell the time, how to kick a football, how to write their name and simple mathematics. There are special needs kids of course but not all kids who are behind the curve are special needs and the parents believe it's the responsibility of the school to raise them.

I cannot stand inattentive parents. If you don't wanna raise them right, why have them in the first place?

I may as well say it while I can, the amount of fat, obese parents around the school-gates now is astonishing and rather sick. What hope do future generations have?

Ant E likes this.
  9. neilold

10. Ant E

That is the problem for me. Who decides what is and is not offensive?!?

11. Radio Pluto

12. neilold

13. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Safe spaces, just the name of it not the concept of what it is sort or reminds me of Saftey House. Not sure if this was just an Australian thing.
    [​IMG]
    People used to have signs on there fence and it was supposed to be a safe house for kids to to go to if they felt unsafe, either from someone following them, bully or evern there own parents. The school zones used to have the signs as well. Was three houses in my street that were apparently safe places to go to that the school used to tell us about.

14. Radio Pluto

That's creepy.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I was wondering what the heck you said had to do with "safe spaces".

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's not a ridiculous concept. Racism is hate speech. Homophobia is hate speech. Anti-semitism is hate speech. That's not being ridiculous, that's the law.

Do you honestly think that everyone should be able to say whatever they want about and to other people; to incite violence and genocide, without reprisal?

BigOleDummy likes this.
  17. Radio Pluto

And you encapsulated that perfectly with a picture that had no relation to the original post?

No-one said there shouldn't be any form of reprisal, but the essence of free speech is to allow anyone to say whatever they like, regardless of the consequences that may or may not come later.

18. Ant E

I agree to a point. Hate is hate. But criticism is something totally different.

I guess the question I meant was can I list a set of reasons why I dislike the Jewish, Islamic or Christian faith without it being labelled a hate?

I can personally list a reel of reasons why I don’t like these faiths (specifically the three I’ve mentioned above stand out most) - but does that make me anti-semitism/islamophibic etc....?!

19. neilold

20. neilold

Again we hit another block. Who decides what is criticism and what is hate ?

Ant E likes this.