Safe Spaces....

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Ant E, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician Warned

I agree with you completely about the need and want for a welfare state. It's a subject humanity has wrestled with the dawn of Rome and it's a fundamental question of how a man's greed must be tempered by the masses and by the elected state. I believe in complete personal liberty but some men are, to be fair, complete bastards whether it materialistically or in the need to push their ideological agenda onto people and it's there where we all must push back. Boy, it's a complex one. I'm for a few things, the NHS and its myriad of services, state education, the welfare state and the police. After that, our want of liberty and the consequences must be protected, even if ol' Nigel Nazi wants to holler in the high street. Because we can always stand in front of him and call him a clown.

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

The welfare state had nothing to do with safe space, don't try to justify it by retrograding it

3. Radio Pluto

The argument moved on from the original point.

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The compromises you support are things that protect - or have protected, or eventually will protect - pretty much everyone in society.

Other compromises are there to protect minorities. We have to make sure we're not saying, "I think society should compromise on freedom in these cases, where I happen to get some security from the compromise - but not in these other cases, where someone else would."

5. Radio Pluto

It's a broad net I know but where legal powers are in place to protect everyone, I expect those same powers to protect minorities. To put in place specific laws or restrict certain elements of free speech under the guise of protecting certain people is to begin on the path of restricting ideas that aren't wholly related and protect only those at the top. There is either liberty and expression, or there is total compliance and thought-crime. How we were raised, the ideas put into our heads as children and our ideas of what Britain should be, these are a flux of hugely contrasting opinions and it's up to us to forge a trusting and fair society that is not swayed by populism and jingoistic nationalism.

And your traditional, British, late-night radio call-in harassing, garden variety nutter, of course.

Nigel Farage really does have the stink of late-night radio call-in about him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

*sigh*, IF you had paid attention to my interview Mr. E you would know that I'm an atheist. As such I couldn't care less about yours or anybody else's magic man in the sky.

7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

So what exactly are you “disappointed”
    In then?! Quite ridiculous...

8. BigOleDummy

In you and your blatant attempt to foment strife and arguments here in the Forum with this thread. Out of nowhere it came and I ....... well, this is my favorite place to go online anymore and I just hate seeing people argue here. Yes I know we all have different beliefs and passions, but HERE we're all just Red Dwarf fans spending time together. Heck, I'm even getting along with @squeal mold , finding common ground between us no matter how abhorrent I find his political beliefs. I think this place should be more of that, we have plenty of opportunities in the "real world" to hate and argue, why can't we have just this one place where we all can get along? Is that wrong of me to want?

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Radio Pluto

Because we're all different people, we can get along while still having differing opinions. Our beliefs do not infringe on that.

10. Ant E

Ok, well next time I come up with a topic idea for a thread I’ll be sure to run it past you first. Are you following the footsteps of @Bluey and wanting to be some sort of mod round here? Heaven forbid people come together with different opinions and have a debate.

A debate is a lot different to an argument you know? If you’re incaple of deciphering the difference then maybe do take the advice of your hero Bluey and mind your business. I was not trying to cause “arguments” as you so delicately put it, I was interested in people’s views on a topical subject. Before posting this I would have put myself firmly in the “against” camp, but @Seb has made some valid points which has given me much to think about.

Why is that so wrong?
    Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?
    Why are you stiring and interfering and making false accusations???

WHY? :sulk:

I suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror young man, and come up with a decent response in the APOLOGY thread!!!!!!!!! Because I am
    Furious!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    BigOleDummy and FeeBee like this.
  11. Radio Pluto

I hate all of you.

12. BigOleDummy

Its good to know that you DO actually think about things I must say.

Please don't call me "young man", its condescending and blatantly false to boot. I WILL apologize to you if I misread your REAL purpose of this thread though and I'll do it here where its germane. So, if you truly just wanted a debate and not just to make people angry, I apologize to you.

FeeBee likes this.
  13. Ant E

Excuse me?!

14. Ant E

Excuse me?!

15. Ant E

Reported

16. Radio Pluto

For what?

17. Ant E

For your choice of language lad!

Thus demonstrating the sort of behaviour that make people want safe spaces ironically...

Although not sure whom you are calling a “poof” and a “queer”?!

18. Radio Pluto

I was only joking.

19. Radio Pluto

20. Ant E

Zzzzz