RDXII Saving Up

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Abe but more Christmassy and all, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

The longer I wait between XI & XII, the more I begin to wonder: was XI created and produced with the idea of 'saving up' on ideas, jokes, plots, models, etc. to make XII even better?
    For example, the bunkroom set from Twentica and 'Starbug 19' from Can of Worms are both XII sets as far as I could tell from the documentary. Is it just me to whom it seems that resources of all sorts were reserved in small amounts so as to make XII even better?

2. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

abey baby, we wont really know how to answer this until we've all watched XII!

Its likely it isnt the case though. I thought XI was strong anyway.

3. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Oh indeed it was, but I can't help getting the feeling from what little I've seen.

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I think it is just more likely the decision to put the 2 series in the can at the time was more to do with the fact that it would cost a lot less this way, for example organizing the whole crew, sets and actors twice is a lot more difficult and costly to do than to book them all for one longer period. Sets would be a huge difference in cost having them all made one time and shot and job done is a good thing, rather than going back for models to film a year later to find they have been lost, stolen or broken or indeed to just making XII from scratch when needed.

In short it is nearly as cheap for two people to live together than it is for one to live alone.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I suspect the scripts for series XI and XII were likely decided based on which Doug seemed to feel went together better for each series based on tone and overall feel. One thing that a lot of people seemed to comment on during the set reports for series XII was a lot stranger then they felt series XI was.

6. Abe but more Christmassy and all

But also there were seemingly no weak episodes, which surprised me.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Thats a matter of opinion