SEB! Please help Simon!

Discussion in 'THE RECUPERATION LOUNGE' started by Nikki the Great, Oct 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Okay. So as for the specific Simon situation, I'd been looking into this as I couldn't find a way to trigger his account as being reactivated because of the email address change. It's a different process from the normal account approval queue and when I tried to change the account back to "valid" manually the other day, it didn't give me the option in the drop-down. It has, however, just worked when I tried again - so I've done it. I've no idea why the activation message wasn't received in the first place but I would hazard it was almost certainly something to do with spam filtering at his end.

As to not being around: I do what I can, but there's been a difficulty in moderating around here for a while, with the fact that so much of the off-topic forum is now based around private in-jokes and discussions that are really hard to grasp the nettle of if you're not directly involved (particularly when they pick up threads from an outside chatroom that can't be seen by people who aren't participants). Ideally, and as we talked about in the past, that section should largely be self-policing, unless there are people specifically dedicated to causing trouble. When it comes to people like Neil I do what I can but I'm never quite certain if the swell of public opinion is to largely tolerate him (with bans when appropriate) or if you're all just sick of him and he should be booted permanently. The same goes for gimmick accounts like Sammer4Rimmer - ordinarily I would see those spammy copy-and-pasted posts as a problem but people seem to enjoy/tolerate him, so wouldn't I just be being a killjoy if I stepped in? I also have an ongoing issue with various accounts not necessarily being who they claim to be - people are entitled to create multiple accounts if they want to but it can be really hard to take various things at face value as a result. This is also what can sometimes cause the issue with new accounts seemingly going unapproved - I do actually keep on top of that queue regularly but given the issues in the past with You Know Who, I do have to be vigilant about who gets let through and in addition to all the spam cleanup that can result in false positives. I've always said that in the case of specific new accounts that you know can't get on, send me a message and I'll review them directly.

I do try and check in as often as I can to make sure that major issues are dealt with, and in particular that the Red Dwarf section - which is, after all, the reason the forum is here - is being used as it should. If you think I've been too hands-off with the Aigburth Arms then I'll try to be more involved, but equally it's hard at times when it feels like the whole of that area is one massive joke between you all, sometimes at my expense, and it's difficult to know how to react to things. Often I don't have the context of what's going on, you know?

This shouldn't make a difference, but I've been having a very rough week personally with some family and work stuff going on at the same time that has limited my ability to get actively online as much. Not that that excuses all the other weeks, admittedly, but it explains why over the last few days I haven't had the chance to check in as much and on this specific problem. The fact that I might be on Twitter at a given time is kind of irrelevant, to be honest - tweeting from my phone is no different from having a text/WhatsApp conversation, whereas getting on here to properly moderate is something that has to be done at my computer with a bit more time to be set aside. It's not really possible to just bob on for a few minutes and make sure everything's alright - you have to really get stuck in. And that can be quite a daunting prospect when your time's already split. Not that any of this necessarily ought to be an excuse, but it is a reason - it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle when it stacks up more and more.

(You're right about the sticky posts, the same was true in the main RD section as well and really that's just oversight where you get so used to seeing something at the top, you forget it's remained pinned!)

Anyway, look, I'll do my best, I think we can meet in the middle more here - I'll try to engage more directly with the posts and threads in that section but equally you guys have to understand that sometimes they can come across as hostile and unwelcoming - sometimes specifically and directly to me - and that makes it extremely offputting to want to engage with things at all. If we can strike more of a balance then hopefully I can make you feel less like I'm just not paying attention to keeping things working.

Simonr1978 likes this.
  2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks for replying! Ok, so I hope now that Simon can get back on. I appreciate that maybe you were doing something about it behind the scenes, but it's impossible to know that unless you say so. Maybe just a quick post on here to say you're having a look at it would've been a good idea?

Re Neil...meh. I dunno what to think. I do think however he regularly says/does things that constitute hate speech, so probably needs to be kept a better eye on than most. Even if we're all asshats, we rarely go and do anything as extreme as Neil.

As for other accounts, my personal feeling is to let 'em all in until they do something really bad or have a name that attacks someone on here or is generally hateful/discriminating in some way. I dunno how everyone else feels on that though.

I think if you read/joined in the Aigburth Arms section a bit more, you would get that a lot of the in-jokes are forum based, not many are private or limited to chat. I don't recall too many being at your expense. Off the top of my head, there's one about @leewhitham saying you're not the boss of him etc, but that's more of a case of laughing that Lee would do that I think. I suppose there is one about you having a verified twitter now, but that was more funny cos...there's someone on here who is actually genuinely kinda famous and doesn't have twitter/when they did, didn't have a verified account. So we were also making fun of then cos you upstaged them with your blue tick haha. I don't think there's more than that. I'm genuinely sorry if I said anything hurtful though. I'm aware I get excited and carried away easily, but I rarely mean to really be malicious. Sometimes as well, like my blog thing I have going, it's an inside joke with my own self that I haven't told anyone. But full disclosure; all that it's about is my Animal Crossing town where I've renamed villagers as forum members and I just write about what's happened in my game there. Also me and Cloud often post surreal nonsense that makes sense to nobody.

I don't fully understand the needing a computer to moderate thing. I am actually a moderator on a forum with 17k people, averaging on 30 new threads a day with a whole bunch of comments. There's only 3 of us who mod. I do it entirely via my phone atm as I am unable to be at home on my computer at this current time. Granted, it's a different platform so I can't expect you to be able to do that, but I do think if we hit the report button on here, it's not too much to ask to have it looked at quite quickly is it? I think at one point you had email alerts for this? Is this no longer the case? I don't always feel like looking at the one I mod on tbh, cos it can get quite depressing and I have a lot going on just now with a family member in hospital (who won't ever leave now), being in the process of moving 5 hours away from my current home and having to deal with a few horrific incidents these past couple of months, some just this week alone, which also means police involvement etc. In the nicest possible way though, if I'm being relied upon to clean up hate speech, I do try to check in at least once a day, even if it's only to check for reports. Again, I do appreciate that the set up will be different, so I do get it won't be quite the same.

But please, do join in with us sometimes. I don't feel like we've gotten to know each other too well. Not that we need to, but might be cool to interact sometimes.

Seb likes this.
  4. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Let’s all go on a picnic

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Thanks Nikki. Will reply in more detail but I appreciate all of that :thumbup:

Nikki the Great likes this.
  6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Like they do in Star Wars!

Simonr1978 likes this.
  7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A picnic in the park with lightsabers and Ewoks would be nice.

Nikki the Great and Simonr1978 like this.
  8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Thanks Nikki and Seb. :-) It's good to be back.

Cloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  9. leewhitham

leewhitham First Technician

Nikki throwing me under the bus and ting....
    Seb you've always done a good job

P.s your not the boss of me

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Asclepius and Pembers like this.